Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The damn Apollo 1240 seems to have given up the ghost...  (Read 5621 times)

Description:

Offline Desler

• Show only replies by Desler
Re: The damn Apollo 1240 seems to have given up the ghost...
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 21, 2002, 10:55:22 AM »
Is the CPU surface soldered? If its not and if the CPU is broken I have a spare 68040 25 mhz you can have. Dont really know about its condition though
The horse is a fierce predatory animal!!!

Offline olegilTopic starter

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2002, 02:23:49 PM »
I have another 68040 (33MHz, plus an LC33) myself, but the thought of desoldering 179 PGA pins doesn't amuse me the slightest :-)

Of course, if it turns out the ####er IS toast, I could whip out the power tools and do it the hard way. And mount a socket for a 68060 there. I wonder if it's possible for me as an R&D engineer in solid company to get a sample from Motorola  :-P

Offline olegilTopic starter

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2002, 12:04:33 PM »
Good news, everyone (I've been watching my complete Futurama collection all last week, so be prepared to hear that line more frequently :-P )

Anyway, I took the motherboard, Mediator and Apollo with me to work, hooked it up on a table and started working under a microscope on the old acid-leak from the battery I replaced the leaking original battery with. Seems there was some serious doodoo there. Anyway, I have only powered it on and heard the floppy click, but since this is excactly what DIDN'T work yesterday at home, I am willing to call it good news. Took me an hour to clean up the mess and do some reconnecting on the databus (between CPU and RAM). There was a LOT of damage around the 12V fan psu pins. Removed those completely.

Edit:

The _bad_ side to all of this is I really wanted to take out the drill and make a 1260. It might seem as if that's not gonna happen anytime soon. Would have been fun trying to order a 68060 as sample from Motorola  :-D