Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Loosing faith in the Amiga "community", like so many before me  (Read 21662 times)

Description:

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/

DaveP wrote:

Forget the "community" it doesnt exist and never has done - its just a bunch of computing users with something quite small in common.

Well, "the community" exists, but just as you say it's only defined by the individual members' ownership of and/or interest in Amiga related technology. Nothing else.

I get the feeling that some people use too many variables to define the "community", and they seem to have a hard time to accept that the individual "members" (users and developers) may have entirely different opinions on matters way beyond the "owning/being interested in Amiga related technologies" bit.

Saying that "I'm leaving the community" is silly IMO, it's not an organisation, it's not a party.

I think that the confusion, the sickening trademark cultism and the sectarianism is probably nourished by the tiny number of community members. There's so few people left, so different opinions are more easily accentuated, and to the imagined "camps" diversity appears as threats. Companies starting to use the term "The Community" instead of "our customers", "our market" (or in the worst cases even "the fanatic sheep who would buy anything as long as it's got a certain trademark") certainly doesn't help.

Anyway, I rather liked Mike's article, at least the paragraph of it that actually provided "A Closer Look at MorphOS on the Pegasos". ;) I could have lived without the stolen-sources-crap (a note that the original article now has been edited from outright accusations to mere innuendo would be nice). I also wonder why there are no links directly to web shops selling the actual product, as I seem to remember a third of another, longer article being devoted to selling T-shirts. ;)
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......