Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A2000 big hardware problem or not ?  (Read 10382 times)

Description:

Offline EffyTopic starter

• Show all replies
A2000 big hardware problem or not ?
« on: October 08, 2002, 03:34:36 PM »
Have received an A2000 with scsi card and 2030 turboboard, but it didn't boot up. Only get black screen without any colours, so it means that da processor might be crashed. So I opened up an old A500, removed da processor and then opened up da A2000. But, and now comes the problem, this computer has got a MiniMegaChip that gives it 2 Mb chip memory. In real life this means that an A2000 chip is placed onto a little board that is inserted onto the motherboard, but also a black wire that is connected to two pins of the processor, somewhere in da middle of the processor. So now it becomes complicated. Is da processor malfunctionning or is it that MiniMegaChip with its black wire that is causing the problems ???? I don't wanna damage anything so I ask it here to get useful information.
I still wanna use that A2000 to insert an X-Surf and a CV64/3D so don't tell me that it's old stuff and that I need to get rid of it. It may be slower than my A4000 and towered A1200 with Z4, but it's still a great machine that only doesn't have AGA or da possibility to insert PowerPC cards, that's all !!
So please, if somebody has got experience with my problem then please help me out !!! This is da first A2000 I ever have and I wanna keep it !!

• Show all replies
Re: A2000 big hardware problem or not ?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2002, 03:16:05 PM »
Sorry dudes, I really have forgotten to tell that I already did strip everything I could !! At this moment I doesn't have any Zorro2 card inside so no turbo. I even tried disconnecting the discdrives one by one and even with no discdrive connected at all. The monitor connected is a cool Amiga M1538S which shows about everything that can be required, but even with the monitor disconnected I get no result.
Okay, now one step further. I (accidently) removed the black wire that was attached to one (or two ??) pins on the upper part of the processor, somewhere in the middle but don't ask which pin. I booted up again, or at least I did put the power on, but still a black screen and after about 20 seconds the green light of the floppy (only one connected) goes on but nothing else happens, no matter what disc is inserted or not. That MiniMegaChip board is still at its place, so that is the last thing I wanna remove. It's also possible that this board is causing all the trouble and that it also made the processor crash. In that case I need to get that Agnus chip from my A500 as you said and the 68000 too but it's not exactly something I'm looking forward too ...

• Show all replies
Re: A2000 big hardware problem or not ?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2002, 03:52:33 PM »
Desmon my man, if you were here I would give you a kiss, even if ya're a man !! It works !! I just took the Agnus out of the A500, took the MiniMegaChip out of the A2000 and placed the A500 chip in return and it worked !! I now get the kickstart 3.1 screen !! (that kickstart also comes from that A500)
And now another question, not so urgent or mega important, but in that A500 I have got ECS installed instead of the original OCS. I might be nice to put that in the A2000 too, but which chip is that ??
Kronos : is that the Denise chip you just talked about ?? I've seen that the chip in the A2000 is a CSG chip and the A500 has got a MOS chip ...

• Show all replies
Re: A500 Denise (ECS chip) in A2000 (with OCS)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2002, 04:14:40 PM »
Kronos : I decided not to wait too long and try it out myself, so I just replaced the Denise chips and my new baby still boots up !! Cool !! I may have only 1 Mb chip memory but at least now it's ECS and it does boot up while that 2 Mb chip didn't !! Okay, now I can finally start building it all up according to my own taste !! I shall use the scsi hardcard and 2030 to begin with and add a C64/3D, X-Surf, a scsi cdrom and then see if it'll all work !!! Thanx guys !! You really helped me a lot !!!
Now I still have got an old A500 (not a A500+) from which I can only use the floppy and the 68000 ... but it didn't work well anyway ...
Final question for now, a bit difficult. When I open up the A2000 I see on the left the bunch of Zorro2 slots but on the right there's one single slot too. What's the purpose of that one ?? It doesn't look familiar ...

• Show all replies
Re: A2000 hardware questions
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2002, 02:36:58 PM »
What's so special about that Obese Angus chip ??

Got another question. On da back of the turboboard (2630) is a strange kind of white slot, or is it two slots ?! Anybody knows what's that for ?? Just wondering ... like to expand stuff ...

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2002, 03:04:20 PM »
Okay, it all boots up into a Workbench 2.0, or as Showconfig says Disk Version 38.12 and kickstart 40.63. Da A2630 has got da 68030 with fpu and mmu but only 2 Mb Ram on it which is in my eyes extremely low !! I'm used to have at least 64 Mb on my A1200 !! But hey, I just got started !! Those 2060 boards are getting cheaper and cost less than a 1260 card and certainly less than a 68060 for A4000.
Next question. Sorry guys but this is all too new and exiting for me !! I feel like a little kid in a play store !! When I open up da A2000 I see on da very left two slots that are half da size of da other Zorro slots. Do they have a function too ?? Is this for cards like Hypercom and Buddha ?? I've got such cards that I used to have in my towered A1200 (bfor it crashed) ...
I plan on using the 5,25" inch bay to put a scsi cdrom (a Plextor rewriter that won't write anymore) in it. Any other suggestions what this bay can be used for ??

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2002, 03:16:17 PM »
Kronos : DKB 2632 seems to be something very interesting !! 112 Mb Ram can be added, Simms or EDO's !! Cool !! No, Megacool !! But da story is probably that you can't find it anymore ... but a big thanx for da info !!

• Show all replies
Re: Obese Angus chip
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2002, 02:57:34 PM »
If that chip can be used to expand da chip Ram then why do they put it on a little board ?? Just wondering ...
I changed my mind about inserting a cdrom into da 5,25" bay. I'm thinking about getting a Catweasel Z2 so I can read my old C64 5,25" discs using an old pc discdrive. I forgot that under my table there's an old desktop pc standing that I modified to use as a scsi case with two cdroms and two harddrives, so I might better put that desktop under my A2000 ...
Getting a bridgeboard in order to use ISA slots doesn't make much sense when I'm already using a 1700+ AMD ...
But thanx for that idea about Ebay !! I shall go and have a look too !!

• Show all replies
Re: A2000, more hardware problems or not ?
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2002, 09:02:32 AM »
More problems, at least one. I tried to connect an external scsi case to my scsi controller with its Evolution.device. Tried different scsi cable but no result. The computer won't detect anything else but the one internally connected harddrive. In the external case there are two cdroms and one harddrive, all with different adresses through jumper settings so that is not a reason for problems. Actually, just to make sure, I disconnected two devices and left only a cdrom connected with a jumper on it so it doesn't have adress zero like the internal harddrive ... sorry, the ScsiInquire of AsimCDFS does not detect anything else but that hd ... possible reason is a terminator on the card that I don't know of. But I do remember that on my (R.I.P.) A500 with a scsi harddrive with Evolution.device too that that one also didn't detect anything else but the connected hd, and that with kickstart 3.1 !!!! My other A500+ had a A590 with a 'normal' scsi.device and that one didn't have any problem at all to detect a cdrom !!!
It can't be that such a Zorro2 scsi card is not made to detect anything external because there is an external connector. So what is the reason ??? I wanna keep the internal 5,25" bay free for something else than a cdrom (ex-Plextor rewriter).
Any clever advice would be very appreciated !!!

• Show all replies
Re: A2000, more hardware problems or not ?
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2002, 06:08:56 PM »
Further explanations. On the card I read 'SCSI- FILECARD Evolution 1990' ... there seems to be a switch on the end of the card on the outside, and when I switch it then the computer won't boot from it's internal harddrive and I get the kickstart 3.1 screen. But when I try to boot with my Install3.1 disc it says 'No Dos Disk in DF0'. Should my original disc be screwed up ?? Don't know. Am trying to find my other OS 3.1 discs but my room seems to be bigger than I thought if you know what I mean ...
There's also a jumper on the card itself and I just moved it so I need to find out what happens or not ...

• Show all replies
Re: A2000 Scsi Filecard Evolution
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2002, 07:09:27 PM »
Okay, I tried to boot again with that jumper placed one pin further but no result. When that switch on the rear is activated and card is deactivated I though I could attach my scsi devices but no way !! I booted with my Workbench 3.1 disc (finally found it in my room !!) and then inserted the AsimCDFS disc to use ScsiInquire to see what devices are connected, but then there's not even an Evolution.device according to that program. It seems that this switch on the rear really  deactivates the card, probably to get more compatibility with games that don't like add-on's ... damn, advice is really needed ...