Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PPC is bad bad bad  (Read 34768 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
Re: PPC is bad bad bad
« on: May 03, 2002, 02:14:32 PM »
PPC is good good good!!

As it stands right now! PPC G4's at 1ghz are much much slower then the AMD/Intel offerings wich are also CHEAPER/More generic/Have more apps(thus possible ports)

Buy an X86 box and run Amithlon if you like. That's probably as close as you will ever see to an X86 AmigaOS. You will see the pros and cons of AmigaOS on X86. Fast cheap hardware, but finding compatible hardware is a skull-f***.

If amiga intends of bieng PPC proprietary and platform spacific its going to be another lump on the wall to laugh at....

hahahahaha now that's funny!! Wrong, but funny!

Aros and other projects need to be taken more seriousely or im afraid not even the current community is going to get the new amigas let alone new people

Aros is a neat project that will be approaching usable to an end user in ~2005-2006 with OS3.1 functionality. I will have my new PPC Amiga ~May 17 2002.

chargeing 500$ for an obselete motherboad with an obselete embedded G3 at 500mhz isnt the wave of the future

Who's getting a G3 at 500Mhz? I'm getting a G3 at 600Mhz thank you :-P And this is the FIRST NEW AMIGA MB IN 8 YEARS! The next run of MBs will offer faster speeds and a socketed option. I will buy the socketed version also when available thank you.

anyone who deals with reality can see PPC is expensive and proprietary and on its way out the door..

Funny how much money Apple is making with PPC machines if that was reality. Proprietary? *NO* But I am starting to see your problem, it doesn't run Windows. So in your mind it is proprietary.

and X86-64 or even current X86 is here to stay for a long time'

That's also funny! Who designed the original X86 hardware? The original IBM PC who everyone has been cloning ever since? I.B.M. did.
Facts:
1) IBM stated 3 years ago that the 'PC' platform it invented was outdated and dead.
2) IBM is heavily investing in PPC and has their own line of PPC products and free reference POP designs.

If you took a x86 motherboard gave it custom bios and made an AmigaOS for it...and charged a rational price i'd buy it....

Buy AmigaOS-XL(Amithlon) and very VERY closely make sure you get EXACT supported hardware. Just make sure you don't pirate Amithlon, Bernie deserves support.

sorry if this sounds like a flame...but it's getting a little late in the day to think amiga so strong that it needs its own special hardware to be viable...

We'll it is a borderline flame insinuating that anyone who wants PPC is stupid, but otherwise you are entitled to your opinion. I do however completely disagree.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2002, 03:01:10 PM »
Windows needs tons of Mhz, OS4 needs any cpu at any speed.

Absolutely! Navigating around workbench on my 060/66 OS3.9 Amiga was faaaaaaaaaast. I can only imagine how fast OS4.0 will be on my AmigaOne that is much more than 10 times faster!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2002, 03:30:46 PM »
Ofcourse it is not from the official Amiga Inc. so it must be illegal that too (like MorphOS) eh?

Amiga Inc has unnofficially given the nod to AROS. Basically they seem to have accepted it and even borrow some code. AROS is not a comercial product. MorphOS is.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2002, 04:10:31 PM »
@jarrody2k

Throw Win2K on a 2Ghz P4 and throw OS4.0 on a 600Mhz PPC system.

1)Time bootup time.
2)Get a seat of your pants feeling.

We will be able to do this comparison soon.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2002, 05:16:18 PM »
The comments in here are starting to borderline on insults. Let's keep it clean. Difference in opinions are welcome, just stear clear of insults please.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2002, 05:22:37 PM »

Tomas wrote:
i can bet you think: 68k is good good good :P

Yes I do think the 68k series is good, it just hasn't had new development in 10 years. If production of the 68k series continued, IMO it would be better than current X86. You trying to say the 68k series was always crap? :-?

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2002, 07:09:52 PM »
i agree, Aone should have used SCSI instead of that lousy IDE crap, which also decrease the overall perfomance....  

Drivers for scsi PCI adapters will be available.

No different than an A4000 IMO, just a much better IDE as standard.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2002, 02:04:56 AM »
I know this isn't true and I'm dying to tell you it isn't true

God I wish you would:-D

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2002, 08:26:24 PM »
Typical terrorist behavior, you gonna try and eliminate all amiga users now? People like you sicken me.

Say what?
 :-?