Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PPC is bad bad bad  (Read 34254 times)

Description:

Offline roadrunner

• Show only replies by roadrunner
Re: PPC is bad bad bad
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2002, 03:21:17 PM »
I have an idea of how much faster it will be.
try running quake timedemo on your 060 then I can tell you that the same timedemo on an old ibook se466 runs at about 38fps. this is with the same amount of gfx ram and bus speed as my csppc. with cvppc.
Also a quake 2 time demo on the same Mac runs at about 35 fps when it only runs at 17 fps on my PIII 800 laptop with exactly the same gfx hardware harddrive and the same amount of ram and a processor that SUPPOSED to be so  much quicker.
 On the  x86 Amiga os subject, has anyone seen the latest version of BeOS being sold at a large PC shop recently, I guess not, because it's been squashed by M$, how long do you think Amiga OS will last in the same ball park?

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2002, 03:27:32 PM »
I cant wait(if hyperion sort it out, or dce stop being knobs), to have os4 on my blizzard, how fast will that be.  even thrr 68k code the reckon will run at least at 060/66, sweet.  Move over windoze your days r numbered, wait unti lthe world wakes up and realises what an OS should do and be about, instead of being force fed micro$soft $#@!.

Amiga is back, look out bad software, were coming to get u.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2002, 03:30:46 PM »
Ofcourse it is not from the official Amiga Inc. so it must be illegal that too (like MorphOS) eh?

Amiga Inc has unnofficially given the nod to AROS. Basically they seem to have accepted it and even borrow some code. AROS is not a comercial product. MorphOS is.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline jarrody2k

• Show only replies by jarrody2k
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2002, 03:35:30 PM »
quote]OS4 on X86, over my dead body! But you you are entitled to your opinion. As you said, more people think like you but there are also a lot that adore PPC. Like me. And so what if I have to pay a bit more for PPC hardware. [/quote]

You know, adoration doesn't back up an opinion much.  Objectivity, however, does that a lot more.  While waiting to be more objective on the tricky subject of cross-processor benchmarking, you can becomes at least try to be more enlightened with the material that has been produced so far

http://homepage.mac.com/nopea1/benchmark/

Benchmarks using cross-compilation tasks.  The cross-gcc benchmark shows a build of Sparc objects using GCC on Linux for two PPC machines and two X86 machines.  The task is heavily integer based and PPC suffered a whooping.

http://www.lowendmac.com/myturn/01/0910.html

Attempts to explain how benchmarking between the two processors may end up hurting Apple.  Be carefully of the benchmarking EXAMPLE he has provided.  The values were based on "personal experience".  *rolls eyes, slaps forehead!!*

http://arstechnica.com/cpu/01q2/p4andg4e/p4andg4e-1.html

The Pentium 4 and the G4e: an Architectural Comparison

Happy reading.

Oh yeah, and PPC SUCKS!  :-P

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2002, 03:51:53 PM »
everybody is entitled to their opnion, but if x86 is soo goo, go and harp on about on site where somebody actually wants to listen to what u have got to say, we r happy, leave us alone.  We dont go on pee cee sites telling them , that their HW is based on technology that was around in the late 70's.  

Amiga is back and it is here to stay, and PPC is the way to go, why would we want to use bug ridden old hat x86 processors.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2002, 04:10:31 PM »
@jarrody2k

Throw Win2K on a 2Ghz P4 and throw OS4.0 on a 600Mhz PPC system.

1)Time bootup time.
2)Get a seat of your pants feeling.

We will be able to do this comparison soon.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2002, 04:15:15 PM »
i can bet you think: 68k is good good good :P

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2002, 04:19:19 PM »
Woohoo yet another person complaining that the Amiga should move to x86 instead of PPC. Why have you people waited years and years before suddenly deciding that we should go x86? Amiga is going PPC and most people (including me) are very happy about this. If you don't like it you should have said so years ago.

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2002, 04:24:49 PM »
Dotn worry, there are plent of reasons to believe that Amiga Inc do plan to target more platforms then just the PPC platform.

That is, AmigaOS at version 5, will be so portable, they could target several platforms within only a small number of releases after version 5 without much effort :)

Mind you, it wont be completly portable but lots of parts of the system will be! - well, thats most peoples theorys anyway. It would be insane not to do that. Based on what technology is avaliable to them in OS5.
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2002, 04:35:59 PM »
Sure, Right, uh huh... It worked SO good for BEOS...

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2002, 04:48:08 PM »
and the replys from this are exactly why amiga is doomed....
a community of people who cant see past their own bias toward a dying CPU.....you arent looking at what is plauseable or whats rational at this time...your looking and seeing what you want to see..
the complete 100% proprietary computers of the past are all dying or dead... Apple 3% of the market share...sgi all but gone...HP's Pa-Risc systems are bieng phased out...compaq's dumping the alpha...and yet you all still sit and cry'yaaaay powerpc at 1/4th the clock and 1/3rd the speed of PC's are better' ....the writeing is on the wall....the days of closed box proprietary are over...good luck to your  '600' mhz g3's...your gonna need it....because theirs no way selling 10.000 of those things world wide is going to make eyetech rich enough to make a second generation...and as for  the G3 somehow magically bieng faster because it says motorola on it..thats a crock...if any of you went to specbench.org or theregister.co.uk you could see the truth about that G3..... G3=inferior to G4=inferior the P4/Athlon........simple math.......

I could care less what the underlying CPU is...i dont sit and rub it...i dont need to code ASM anymore....so why does it matter?....personal bias is the only thing that matters .....if you could see past your own bias you could see that going to x86 is cheaper/faster and has more apps to port...

the end

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2002, 05:07:02 PM »
If you didn't notice many people want to go PPC not because of benchmarks or prices.

Just look around the internet M$ , intel/AMD are all screwing you over selling you stuff thats been lying around in their offices for years while they make up the next buzzword.

And if you want to blame someone for choosing ppc as the next amiga cpu , blame phase 5 , they decided to stick it on a card , they could have done an x86 card ... fact is if amigaOS did go x86 now alot of people would leave because their amiga would be usless.

BTw . Everyone knows that the majority of the PRO-x86 lobby are wasters that hang around on "AMIGA" channels. where they talk about ... LINUX lol
Also they haven't even used amiga's in years and still think they have some reason to decide its future.

Oh and they love Morphos , which IIRC is "PPC!" , basically their just a bunch of know $#@! arses that want to run a decent OS on their $#@!ty pc boxes .

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2002, 05:16:18 PM »
The comments in here are starting to borderline on insults. Let's keep it clean. Difference in opinions are welcome, just stear clear of insults please.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2002, 05:17:40 PM »
The problem with x86 is that it would take years to port the OS.... Also there would be NONE avaliable apps for it, since the old ppc applications dosent run on x86.... You think this would bring users?? A OS without apps?? i dont think so.... PPC is the only way if Amiga should have a chance to get back up.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2002, 05:22:37 PM »

Tomas wrote:
i can bet you think: 68k is good good good :P

Yes I do think the 68k series is good, it just hasn't had new development in 10 years. If production of the 68k series continued, IMO it would be better than current X86. You trying to say the 68k series was always crap? :-?

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 03, 2002, 05:29:28 PM »
From what I've read...I seem to understand that amiga will be *hardware-independent"

So the whole "what CPU do you run" thing will be a moot discussion.
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted