Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why we dont have GAME development contests  (Read 11816 times)

Description:

Offline drHirudo

• Show all replies
    • http://hirudov.com
Re: Why we dont have GAME development contests
« on: December 05, 2009, 04:32:20 AM »
It is much easier to create playable and decent looking game for the 8 bit machines, than for Amiga for more than obvious reasons. It is the same as it is much easier to create decent looking game for Amiga 500 than for Playstation. That is why they have competitions for 8 bits and many entries received. The 8 bit gamemakers easily use crossdevelopment tools and test rapidly their result, or even directly type in the BASIC prompt. For the 8 bits it is very easy to create graphics (in low color, low resolution and it is okay if your graphic is not made by graphic artist), the music is not requiring lots of effort like on the Amiga, where finetunning is must.

I remember when I first released new versions of my games, I got slammed because of the graphics (made by me) and lack of music, then I contacted graphic artists and they created better graphics with which I replaced the old ones, then I found music, but I got slammed again that my graphics were OCS quality, no matter that the A500 was my target for the games.

On the 8 bits, the playability is the goal, the graphics and the music are not that important, so I can easily create game for 8 bit computer or console and release it, without being slammed about the result.

The Amiga had very big indy gaming developing scene in the 1990ies. Much bigger than all the current retrogaming development scenes together. I remember in Amiga Format they announced a AMOS game coding competition that they received thousands of floppies full with games of all sorts.  Wasn't Worms one of these games? Aminet is a good indicator how active the bedrooms programmers were in the past years.