Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Some common problems with AOS3.9 installation under WinUae  (Read 1462 times)

Description:

Offline JoseTopic starter

• Show only replies by Jose
Some common problems with AOS3.9 installation under WinUae
« on: February 19, 2006, 10:35:09 PM »
Ok, normally I use my Amigas but I wanted to have an AOS3.9 install ready in a USB stick and have a portable AOS install I can take anywhere I want.
First time I've done it, pretty sure I've done everything right: booted from 3.1 adf's, made a hardfile and formated it with two partitions (work and sys). Then installed AmiCDFS. After a few tries, many actually, I found option to enable uaescsi.device (I though it was allways enabled dohh!!). Works a treat.
Now the problem. The emergency disk is not booting properly, it says AmigaOS3.9 has a read/write error!!! Actually it has plenty of them, cause after I click cancel many more pop up.
Anyone else had this problem ?

:pint:
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline amigagr

• Show only replies by amigagr
    • http://www.amigahellas.gr
Re: Read/write errors on AOS3.9 emergency disk under WinUAE
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 11:15:41 PM »
the problem is on the real amiga floppy or at the .adf file you use to install the amigaos cd on uae?
with floppys is common place a long time now, don't forget that the disk drives we use are more than 10 years old! the one from my 3000 is 15 or 16! it's amazing that after all these years it works most of the times!
and the floppys of today are not so good as the old ones i can tell you for sure. just preper on a real amiga a new emergency. every time a make one,i update the files of emergency disk with the latest version of the bb2, they leave about 2kb free to the disk at the end!
A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.9
A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.9/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.2
PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.2/MorphOS 2.7/Debian 5.0.7/SUSE 11.1
MacMini/G4 1.5 MorphOS 2.7/OSX 10.5.8
Long Live Amiga

If i am going to have bugs on my system,
at least let me keep the latest versions.
Neil Bothwick

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 06:51:14 PM »
The problem is on the virtual disk I create (.adf) to have AOS3.9 installer create the emergency disk onto. How come the bloody thing have errors if it's accessing the cd directly through AmiCDFS.
Bloody emulators;)

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 07:17:24 AM »
First, why use AmiCDFS?  The built in CDFileSystem from 3.1 works fine with UAESCSI.  (At least enough to install OS3.9)  

But, to fix your problem, try lowering the MaxTransfer on CD0 to 0x10000.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 05:50:48 PM »
@Adolescent
Thanks, it worked. The docs (or read me..) on newer WinUae versions actually mention that (just downloaded and installed latest 1.2 version).

But now I have another problem, the installation freezes (not the PC but the Amiga it's emulating) right when I accept the license...
Anyone ?
:pint:

Offline steve30

• Show only replies by steve30
    • http://www.stevecoates.net
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 06:21:03 PM »
I'm having exactly the same problems.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 07:04:12 PM »
@steve30

Good for you, I just found the cure. Just enable sound emulation (even if disbled but emulated) and it won't crash anymore.
I found this advice on some page on the net after googling for too much time (I think it was Thomas page, he has his own way of installing 3.9 on WUAE...).

Problems I've found, might be usefull to others too:

- Don't forget to enable uaescsi.device otherwise it won't work (another one I lost hours with)
- If it still doesn't work change the ASPI. I found it was using Nero's one cause the bootlog said it had found and was using it, but the configuration was set to adaptec's one (another hour lost)
- Don't forget to set max transfer to 0xffff or less if you get read/write errors on the CDRom. (Thanks adolescent). BTW, I was using AmiCDFS wich doesn't seem to have maxtransfer setting so I changed to the default AOS3.1 CD filesystem wich does the job nicely (just put CD0 in Devs/DosDrivers).
- Don't forget to check wich unit your CD/DVD was assigned and set it on the CD filesystem otherwise it won't work.

- DON'T USE "SYS" AS THE NAME OF YOUR WORKBENCH 3.1 PARTITION THE 3.9 INSTALLER GETS CONFUSED AND ENDS UP NOT USING THE EMERGENCY DISK AS IT SHOULD (couple hours lost with this one too :-x  :-D ).

BTW 3.9 is very cool :-D