Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just bought Amiga Forever and Have an iBook G4 and I've gotten myself turned around in all sorts of  (Read 4199 times)

Description:

Offline MacG4GalTopic starter

• Show only replies by MacG4Gal
directions. I'm reading all kinds of different things about how to install UAE on a mac ibook G4. My searchs on the internet have led me here. I need help on how to make sense of all of the files on the Amiga Forever CD Plus Edition. I've tried to unstuff things and apply files to the MaxUAE app. It keeps telling me I need the df0 file? Where is that on the Amiga Forever CD? Also, where is the kick.rom file and how do I extract it with the stuffit software? And how do I apply all of those together so I can get up and running. Is there anything I'm missing with the install process on a mac? Help truly needed here please? All is appreciated thanks guys.

Sincerely, ConfusedKitten :roll:
I would like to have it spelled out like its a Christmas Tree and all of the \\\'Workbench, Kickstart and .adf files are like bulbs on the tree. How do they all work together and why do they need each other? I will change this signature once these teeny ...

Offline amigagr

• Show only replies by amigagr
    • http://www.amigahellas.gr
if you don't have any ''real amiga'' expirience before, it would be hard to setup all these. i have both 4 and 6 versions of amiga forever and i don't remember to have a mac installer to do the hard work. sorry that i can't help ferthear... good luck
A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.9
A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.9/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.2
PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.2/MorphOS 2.7/Debian 5.0.7/SUSE 11.1
MacMini/G4 1.5 MorphOS 2.7/OSX 10.5.8
Long Live Amiga

If i am going to have bugs on my system,
at least let me keep the latest versions.
Neil Bothwick

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
I just grabbed source for UAE off the net and compiled it... Didnt have any problems. Just need a kick.rom and some adfs to have fun with.

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
Hi CK,

I don't have a Mac so I can't help you much with MacUAE but I beleive that it should be similar to UAE or WinUAE.

Do you have any previous Amiga experience or a newb? Only, asking so we know how deep to go in the details. It does sound like you have MacUAE running.

The kickstart rom files, as I remember, are on the CD-ROM or on hardisk in a directory called something similar to \Emulation\shared\rom\.

If you can't find that directory, just do a search for ".rom" files.

The DF0: file? Well, this could simply be that the UAE is looking for the Workbench disk. A workbench disk would be named something like "amigaos-310-wb.adf". Again search for ".adf" if needed.

The Amiga looks for two main things during its boot up.
1.) a kickstart rom (or a kickstart rom image for UAE)
2.) a workbench /operating system disk(or disk image for UAE)

If you tell MacUAE where to find both of these things it should boot up to the Workbench screen.

Hope this helps some.

Regards,
AmigaEd

"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - PrĂ­stino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline Macman

• Show only replies by Macman
The good news is, I am writing a getting started with EUAE guide for Mac OSX for newbies (I count myself as an EUAE newbie, although I know the Amiga well).

The bad news is that I havn't finished it yet. :(

I too was lead here trying to find out how to install and configure EUAE.

The guide is on it's way. I have AF6 running happily on my iMac (see Images and my Emulation thread here).

Funnily enough, I was just hunting through the CD itself having trouble finding the OS 1.3 environment.

Getting there, will try to finish the guide soon.

Yes I am a NEWB, for sure. Im pretty sharp though, and I feel that I just need to grasp all of the info re: certain version? Each version is in chronological order. So v1.3 is older and made before v3.0? And if that is so v3.0 is better and more efficient because technology improved between version dates? And is v3.0 the same as v1.3 except for newer additions to performance, speed, sound capabilities (sorta like windows 95 to 98 to 2000 to XP?) That is the kind of stuff I also need to know so I can get out of the newb Status or close to it. Thanks. Also I will try to seach for individual .adf files and .rom files, but everything is in .zip format with a "stuffit" icon attached to most, except for some .exe files and a "blank (black) screen" as its icon.

Also, in order to get MaxUAE running and ready to accept game files, all i have to do is click and drag the (so far unknown to me so far) .adf and .rom files to the MaxUAE app.?

Thanks again all. macG4gall  :-)  :idea:
I would like to have it spelled out like its a Christmas Tree and all of the \\\'Workbench, Kickstart and .adf files are like bulbs on the tree. How do they all work together and why do they need each other? I will change this signature once these teeny ...

Offline amigagr

• Show only replies by amigagr
    • http://www.amigahellas.gr
you point it very well for the historical improvement from one os version to the other. we start from os 1.0 amiga 1000, os 1.2 and 1.3 amiga 500 2000, os 2.0 through 2.1 amiga 600 3000 and os 3.0 amiga 1200 4000. the os3.1 is a minor update to 3.0 after some years came os 3.5 and os 3.9. as for the improvments, well the commodore was not so generus as all of us we would like to be, in both the hardwear and the softwear sectors.........
A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.9
A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.9/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.2
PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.2/MorphOS 2.7/Debian 5.0.7/SUSE 11.1
MacMini/G4 1.5 MorphOS 2.7/OSX 10.5.8
Long Live Amiga

If i am going to have bugs on my system,
at least let me keep the latest versions.
Neil Bothwick

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Hi MacG4gal,  Running AmigaForever on a Mac is veeeeeeeerrry different than running it on a PC (unfortunately).  There is no simple install (yet) and documentation is fragmented and incomplete.  I am glad to read that someone is working on a recent guide.

As far as use of .adf files that you asked about, the answer is "NO", it is not a simple drag and drop execution.  The .adf files must be mounted as "Amiga Floppy disks" in the emulation to be used.  With the emulation running, they will show up on the Workbench desktop as disk icons.  Also, the .rom files that load the different versions of the Amiga OS must be selected prior to starting the emulation.  I know all of this is of little help, but don't give up.  Search for information on the HiToro front end for the EUAE Mac emulation of the Amiga and you will find more help.  Since I have a perfectly working AmigaForever v2005 on my desktop PC I am waiting for an easier install process to run on my Powerbook.

Someone here should be able to give you more help, keep trying, and welcome to Amiga.org.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
Grab OSX build of E-UAE 0.8.28 from Rich's EUAE site which is more upto date than MaxUAE
..it also needs the libSDL framework installed, libSDL 1.29.dmg
Finally, get the Hi-Toro GUI for configuring and starting E-UAE.

Pretty much all the guides for setting up WinUAE/AmigaForever apply to E-UAE, except that the JIT settings can be ignored since it's not in the OSX version (even though Hi-Toro has options for it!)
On schedule, and suing

Just got the hitoro its seems pretty good. Where do I place the Amiga files .adf>I want to play lemmings real bad. :)

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
Hi, I use WinUAE,, so what I tell you may not be completely appropriate for your case.  You mentioned DF0: before.  I'm not sure if you are aware that DF0: is the name given to 'floppy drive number zero', in Amiga OS's.  In UAE there are also DF1:, DF2:, DF3: available.  You may also see DH0: etc for hard drives.  In order to put an .adf file, which is an image of an Amiga floppy disk, into a virtual disk drive, I use a WinUAE properties GUI.  This is a program started from the windows environment, to set-up WinUAE configurations, and start the emulation.  I guess you will have something equivalent with the Hi-Toro interface.  If you want to setup Workbench, you will have to tell UAE to have that .adf file loaded in DF0: (can't remember the exact procedure to install).  Also, I think you will have to use the same interface to tell UAE where to find the .rom files.  You can also make all your choices about which hardware to emulate here.  After making choices, I think you should be able to save them in a configuration file which can be loaded later for subsequent use.

edit- It shouldn't matter exactly where the .adf files are stored, so long as you specify the location of the particular images you want to be put into your virtual drives.  If it's disk number one, or a single disk, UAE will probably want it to be in DF0:.

If you want to run older games, without workbench, you may be best served using something like an Amiga 500, with 1.3 roms.

Hope that helps.  Not sure how similar your version is to the WinUAE which I run.  Good luck.

Oli
Good good study, day day up!

Thanks Oli. In HiToro i can find the DF0: and many other tabs. My question would be, is the DF0:, DF1:, DF2:, DF3:, DF4: fields the places where I plug in the subsequent Disks 1 thru 4 for say the 1-4 disc names of the lemmings game I want to play? And if that is true (since I noticed by the file names of the lemmings game that there are 4 total disks for the lemmings game to work...?) then that means that I have established one part of the process to getting the game to work. It feels that once I plug in the subsequent files in the DF0:, 1,2,3,4 fields of the hitoro that I would need to put in an .ahi, workbench, .rom, or something else to simply get a game to run. Let me explain here, I really just want to start off by playing .adf game files to sort of ease into the amiga understanding of everything. Right now, i am not super interested in doing a ton of things, but more so about reliving me 80's flash backs as a teen. Maybe this might narrow down the total amount of options y'all could help me with.
I hope that makes sense. Thanks, MacG4Gal  :rtfm:

Offline Oliver

A lot of old amiga games would run without workbench at all.  On a real miggy, one would put disk one into DF0:, turn on the machine, and the game would load.  Some games allowed the use of multiple floppy drives, but others didn't.  For those games that didn't support multiple drives, you will have to 'swap the disks' while the game is running.  On a real amiga, the game would give a message like 'insert game disk 2 in DF0:'.  To do this in UAE, one needs to tell the emulator to use a different .adf file.  In WinUAE, one can press F12, and a gui, like Hi-Toro will appear, and one can tell UAE to use a different .adf file.  You may get away with putting disks in each drive; just have a try.  You will need to specify a ROM location, but will not need a Workbench disk when running a game this way.  I think the original Lemmings, at least, would run from floppy like this.  Some games will require a Workbench already installed, and then the game will be installed and run from the Amiga hard drive.  A great many games will run without Workbench, though.  Also worth noting, is to make sure you have chosen an appropriate hardware configuration for the particular game you want to play.  Do you know a little bit about the chip sets, and processors?  If you can choose options to emulate an Amiga 500, I think it should be good to start playing a large number of games.  There may be some pre-defined configurations available through Hi-Torro, given as something like 'Quick Start' configurations.  There is also some configuration information available online, from Amiga games webpages.

I'm not sure about the use of a .ahi file.  Try without using one, and see what happens.  I've never used one before.  I presume it's something to allow 16 bit audio.  Shouldn't be necessary for games.

Thanks Oli. Yeah, I think i am going to try getting Amiga to work on both my G4iBook and my Windows 2000. As far as the windows 2000 goes: When will workbench be needed to get a game going? How instrumental is it in getting a game to work? The gui for WinUAE, is that much more user friendly than Hitoro? Hitoro seems pretty straight forward if I can just remember what each input field means what (e.g.- .rom,ram, etc.) Also, what does DD and HD mean. Is that Disk drive, Hard drive? With regards to WinUAE what are the three most important components when installing onto Windows 2000, to simply get Amiga games running?
Thanks again everyone, im slowly filling in the gaps of uncertainty. YaaaY!!! :idea:  :-)

Offline Oliver

You only need to use the Workbench .adf file when first installing the workbench under UAE.  I think WinUAE will be a lot easier for you.  I think the installer works well, and I think the documentation is fine (at least I can't remember any major problems).  You would need to install and use Workbench if you want to use (Amiga) hard drive installed games.  Once everything is installed, it's more convenient than swapping .adf files in the UAE requester.

Here are some links to configured Workbench set-ups with most of the handy utilz etc:
AmigaSYS
Amig In A Box (AIAB)
ClassicWorkbench
AmiKit

Check out the link to the old website on the AIAB page.  I think there is some help on setting up WinUAE there as well.

Of the above, AmiKit is the most recent, and has received good reviews from users here.

Have fun.

edit- Never used Hi-Toro, but it looks similar to the WinUAE interface.  I believe WinUAE is still a more developed program though.

HD should be 880K High Density (floppy), and DD should be 1760K Double Density.

To get games running, I suggest you first try just using floppy based games on WinUAE.  This should get you started easily enough.  Then once you've had some fun, you can take a look at some tutorials for installing Workbench (try the AIAB site).  I think there are some others around too.  I don't think it should be too tricky.  I think you just need to re-familiarize yourself with the old hardware.  You can also look around the net for info on the Amiga architecture, which will help you to design your UAE configurations.  However, just try to use some pre-made configurations to start with.

edit edit- Sorry, I mixed up the sizes for the HD and DD floppies.  They should be the other way around.  Also, you probably only need to use the DD option (880K).