Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GreaseWeazle V4 available at Amiga Kit Amiga Store  (Read 4157 times)

Description:

Offline Vanilla

• Show all replies
Re: GreaseWeazle V4 available at Amiga Kit Amiga Store
« on: February 13, 2023, 11:40:41 AM »
Implementing the support as a trackdisk.device compatible AmigaOS device, allowing Workbench to access FFS formatted floppies, is strongly encouraged. Even with a basic, read-only version it would make the GreaseWeasle an instabuy item for me. Thank you for considering it 👍.

I agree. I would have expected there to be a mass storage protocol used. Or at least appear as a floppy device as well as the serial device. A USB floppy drive can be plugged into an OS4 machine and works out of the box. The firmware would need to identify itself as a floppy drive and support associated commands.

What I've noticed lately is a trend for Windows only support. The modern Amiga people tend to use use Windows. Within emulation or using a PC to both partition an Amiga drive or update firmware for an Amiga device. Not even a real Amiga is being supported any more! Too much dependence on the PC these days, the Amiga used to survive on its own and do it's update firmware itself.

But even here the OS support apart from Windows looks slightly atrocious. On the Mac you need to install an SDK then download files and compile it yourself. On Linux it's not much better. What if you are just a normal user? Normal Mac users don't have X-Code installed! ???
Welcome Vanilla. To your continuing tour of duty. :-)
 :angel:

Offline Vanilla

• Show all replies
Re: GreaseWeazle V4 available at Amiga Kit Amiga Store
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 12:17:48 PM »
We have looked into it.  The source code is Python 3 AFAIK so would take a lot of work to port to OS4.

I think that's too complicated. That would need yet another program compiled with a GUI. It should be as simple as a DOS driver.
Welcome Vanilla. To your continuing tour of duty. :-)
 :angel: