Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: my laptop got virus  (Read 3603 times)

Description:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show all replies
Re: my laptop got virus
« on: November 22, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »
I use Linux for day to day browsing and such. It's funny when you go to a site and it tries to force install something and linux just asks what the hell to do with a file it doesn't recognise lol.

I use torrent sites to try and track down old anime movies and episodes. It's amazing how much junk tries to get onto your computer. But windows been the cheap Whore that it is opens its legs and let's anything in.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 11:33:08 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;716128
Conspiracy theory time!

My theory is that the anti virus companies are the very people who create the viruses to create more demand for their products. AVG, McAfee, Norton, etc are the ones who are making the flippin' things!

That wouldn't be the first time I have heard that theory. it's best when you get some malware that pretends to be a bit of antivirus and tries to scare you into buying it to get rid of nonexistant viruses.

Quote from: Thorham;716117
Hmm, funny. I use Windows XP Pro without any anti-malware protection at all and I never have any problems at all. It's an old habit from when I still only had A Pentium 3, but I've found that I have no use for said software at all.

What the hell do people do with their machines :p

I don't do anything dodgy in windows these days. i tend to do everything through linux lol. But my wife has a nasty habit of downloading these stupid smily packs for stuff like yahoo, and every virus riddled, data mining, facebook game. I would say that once I week i have to recover the PC to some sort of normality due to the crap she installs. And I have no idea how the hell stuff is getting on considering I installed kaspersky.....

OMG KESA YOUR FLAMING RIGHT!!!!

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 12:33:50 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;716131
I actually had one of those. It was pretending to be AVG but it was obvious it was fake. But it did do a good job of screwing up my harddrive. I had no choice but to reinstall Windows from scratch.

To be honest i was wondering why Apple has remained for the most part immune to viruses. Virus makers have in the past targeted MS because they are a greedy corporation and they have a mainstream dominance. But lately it has swinged the other way with Apple overtaking MS in it's greed and dominance. So why are people still targeting Windows? Especially with Bill Gate's philanthropy? I don't think it's entirely a design flaw...

There are viruses for Mac OS but I have only ever ran into a handful. From my experience Apple tend to be on the ball more about these things than Microsoft. But I think thats down to the amount of butthurt from the communities that occures when a major infection happens.

To be fair I would hate to work in the department that has to deal with sorting out infections at Microsoft.

Quote from: lassie;716135
Yes it strange i have tried 2 free anti virus programs, and they could not find any form for virus or spam or malware and they ran for 4 hours. But when i tried some of the programs that cost money, they found 35 virus/spam in a matter of seconds. strange i must say.

Yeah I noticed this too. AVG reported only two thirds the amount of attempted infections that Kaspersky did.