Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Other OSes  (Read 787 times)

Description:

Offline trekiejTopic starter

Other OSes
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:40:14 AM »
Over the past few years I have hear of other OSes.
Menuet,Kolibri(Menuet fork),Skyos,Atheos,DexOS,Haiku(Beos clone)etc.
The 32 bit assembly language OSes are pretty cool.  They work in protected mode and can go into longmode (64 bit).
Menuet is one that comes in 32 bit and 64 bit.
These small OSes come with a gui.  Even with a gui there is alot of programs on them.  Kolibri is one of the best that I have seen.  I have not been able to get it to go on the net yet.  It had task bar that worked with the WIN button on my keyboard like wndows.  It had a listing for Quake but I do not have a hard drive to install the os or the program.  Crud!
It makes me wonder what the dos world would have been like with them and now I know.  The exception would be Dos4GW for msDos.
I wonder if having a bunch of open source OSes around is not some of the problem with the developement of the ones we would like to see worked on.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Re: Other OSes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 03:58:54 AM »
You might have a point about the software development going elsewhere but with portable libraries like SDL, some of that will be coming back.  Also, AROS is open-source and small and still doesn't see a lot of development despite being similar to AmigaOS 3.1 .

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Other OSes
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 02:39:11 PM »
I think Haiku and AROS are in a similar state, AROS is a little bit ahead in terms of usability but they are exactly in the same place with webkit.  The problem is the programmers have moved on and there's not a lot to entice them back.  If you could get just 1% of the programmers who are working with Linux to work with either or both of these you'd be in far better shape.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.