Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trackloader Questions  (Read 2781 times)

Description:

Offline MskoDestnyTopic starter

• Show all replies
    • http://www.retrodev.com
Trackloader Questions
« on: December 29, 2005, 04:00:33 PM »
I managed to track down a copy of the hardware reference manual (my uncle used to program professionally for the Amiga) and I've begun my Amiga hardware banging journey, but I have some questions related to accessing the floppy drive. The Hardware manual is kind of light on disk details so I've been going through the source to the Interphase trackloader and while I understand what it's doing, I still have a couple of questions.

1)The interphase loader uses nops in a couple of places for short delays to generate appropriate length pulses for things like the step and motor signals. This seems like a somewhat unreliable way to generate a delay since presumably a nop doesn't take the same amount of time on an 060 (or a mythical Coldfire accelerator) as it does on a 68000. Is there a better way to generate this delay (reading from the CIA's maybe)?

2)What address is the bootblock loaded to at boot time?

3)How do I detect if a high density floppy is in the drive? Will the same method reliably report double density in a double density drive or do I have to determine whether or not a high density drive is installed first?