Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Creating games with Backbone - Step by Step for beginners!  (Read 37194 times)

Description:

Offline amiman99

Re: Creating games with Backbone - Step by Step for beginners!
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 05:20:10 AM »
Cammy, Great post.

I have an issue when a player dies over a "dangerous" tile and then re-spawn at the same place, then it dies again.
Do you know how to prevent that? I set the payer to be invincible for 10s, but is not working.
Thanks
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

Offline woof

• Show only replies by woof
    • http://uae.is.free.fr
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 08:37:55 AM »
@SamuraiCrow
>Once that's done I can make another one that gets similar results using Mesa

For RTG you should better use directly CompositeTags() : just have a look to Aminet/CompositePOC = there is C code to draw a tiles based map with "sprites" on OS4

Alain Thellier

Offline Minuous

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 11:34:55 AM »
According to amiga-news.com, there is a playable demo of the game available here for download, but I don't see a link to it...

Offline lionstorm

Offline Minuous

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2012, 04:36:08 AM »
Thanks lionstorm, I have now notified them of the correct links...

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2012, 07:10:35 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;714872
I would never say an emulated environment is best, real Amigas forever!

Just for information, the level works on Aros Vision (Aros 68k). The positioning seems not be correct still?

Screenshot:
http://www.natami-news.de/Aros/BackBone.png

Offline CammyTopic starter

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 03:27:26 AM »
Quote from: amiman99;715009
Cammy, Great post.

I have an issue when a player dies over a "dangerous" tile and then re-spawn at the same place, then it dies again.
Do you know how to prevent that? I set the payer to be invincible for 10s, but is not working.
Thanks

You need to change the Player details so he restarts the level after he dies, rather than continuing from the point where he died. Either that, or you make his health and invincibility higher and make sure to provide a way out of all spikes and lava pits.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline CammyTopic starter

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 03:33:19 AM »
Quote from: Methuselas;714969

@Cammy,

Correct me if I am wrong, Girl, but aren't you limited to only one block map per level? I seem to remember having to have all my blocks, sprites, gun sprites and enemies all on the same block. It made reusing sprites a pain in the @$$, I seem to remember. Also, was there a pixel size limit to the block maps? I ask, 'cos it would be really easy to create png files that you could then overlay upon one another to reuse sprites over and over again, thanks to alpha channels.

Anyways, if you want some new background blocks, let me know.

Yeah, you are limited to one set of blocks per level, so you have to make sure the block set contains all the ones you want to use, but this is only for background blocks. Objects like enemies and the player are all separate files, you cut them out frame by frame with the Image Editor and save them as an Object. Background blocks are limited to either 16x16 or 32x32, but objects can be any size. The more objects that need to be on screen and moved around however, the more the Blitter will struggle and the game will go slower with too much action on screen.

If you'd like to add to the block set please feel free. The idea of this one is to make several sets of graphics that anyone can use or modify for their own games. We'd like to upload them to OpenGameArt as well. More enemies, collectibles and anything else that people could put in the games are welcome too. I'd love to provide Amiga users with a huge amount of material they can use in their creations.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 03:43:31 AM »
I am wondering if backbone are capable of doing the following things:

1) Have a dialog box appear: http://media.indiedb.com/cache/images/games/1/16/15041/thumb_620x2000/rpg_dialog_box.png

Where I can use it to have the hero talk, or you talk to an NPC or something like that.

2) Capable to have keys and doors are opened by a certain key you own

3) To have a liver and when I switch the liver that door opens or porticolus etc.

4) If I am rescuing someone, have that someone follow me until I put that someone at a certain point where that someone automatically moves to the exit. Ones that someone reaches the exit and exit the level I win that level.

5) If that someone is following and a monster hit him/her he/she loses HP and if he/she dies, you die and need to restart the level

6) Have monster AI be smart enough to climb up or down the stair case

7) When the monster see you, it tries to catch you to kill you and if you run away from it and climb stairs, it climb stairs too to following. If you exist a certain range from it, it no longer chases you.

8) Have the ability to have teleporters to teleport you at a certain point in the level, the monsters can use it too

9) When you fall a certain height you die, and if you fall less than that but still damaging you lose HP

10) Have the ability to open an inventory system so you can use the items and interact with them in your level

11) Be able to do quest to NPC. Such as the NPC want me to pick something up or kill something and if I do it, that NPC either give me hints via dialog box or give me items I can use in the game

12) Be able to use different type of weapons and collect them in my inventory, and the graphics for these weapons change accordingly.

13) Be able to set my own music and sound effect

14) Be able to push barrel or box or so forth.

15) Have a machine belt that if you drop on it or drop an object on it, the belt will move it on the direction it is headed.

16) If the object falls on a monster (I specify which object) that object kills the monster

17) Have platform that take you up and down or left and right

18) If the platform raise you so high up and you hit the ceiling and it still push you up, you die because you get squished for example

19) Ability to save your game if you want or enter password to start on that certain point in the level

20) The editor provide me some sort of click and play script

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012, 03:15:07 PM »
Just had a play with this on my 600 with a 030 and 32mb fast ram. I can say that it's good but as Cammy has mentioned it does run a little choppy at times. I found it usually does this when scrolling the screen because when a character is stationary it runs super silky smooth. And with the accelerator off it really does struggle. But still it's a great bit of software.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2012, 08:40:42 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;715393

If you'd like to add to the block set please feel free. The idea of this one is to make several sets of graphics that anyone can use or modify for their own games. We'd like to upload them to OpenGameArt as well. More enemies, collectibles and anything else that people could put in the games are welcome too. I'd love to provide Amiga users with a huge amount of material they can use in their creations.

Yeah, after reading the guide, I saw that it's limited to a length of 320 or 640, but it didn't specify height. I can use that to my advantage. Make two versions for each block mat. If you're okay with basic wall types, I can create side and top blocks fairly quickly.  I'll just make a 32x32 version first and then shrink it.

Does anyone have a preference for run and jump or side/top scroller? I am toying with the idea of creating some simple 3d models for either a side or a top scroller. Now, granted, I'll be able to have both, but I just want to focus on one type. Just a player, chaser and shooter model.

I can also do some weapon effects, fairly quickly, mostly fires, lasers and energy-type weapons. Figure I can make 4 of those.

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:44:30 AM by Methuselas »
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2012, 10:25:51 AM »
I actually always hated platform games... But Magic Pockets was one that I really got into... Not sure why that one took my fancy :)

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2012, 10:54:15 AM »
32x32 640 version:

16x16 320 version:

Just some flame and smoke animations, a few simple blocks and some weapon effects. These are pngs. You'll have to convert them to amiga iff. I haven't tested these, either. Just proof of concept.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:57:04 AM by Methuselas »

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2012, 04:13:35 AM »

Max resolution of 640x384. This gives 240 blocks per block map at a 32x Block and 64 colors. Try this out, Cammy. I can't seem to get Backbone to work right now. There's 2 different oceans and each middle sky cloud is tileable.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2012, 04:36:25 AM »
I created a Sprite Sheet and saved it as a PNG. I then converted it to an uncompressed IFF file with PPaint, and BackBone insists that it is not a valid IFF image.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #44 from previous page: December 14, 2012, 05:30:29 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;718978
I created a Sprite Sheet and saved it as a PNG. I then converted it to an uncompressed IFF file with PPaint, and BackBone insists that it is not a valid IFF image.

Make sure to convert it to 8, 16, 32, or 64 colors. 32 and 64 colors only work in 320x200 EHB mode. It won't load properly, if you don't have it matching the proper color settings in Backbone.

Really wish someone would disassemble it, so we could enhance it.