Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WHDLoad game question - performance  (Read 1703 times)

Description:

Offline blakespotTopic starter

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
WHDLoad game question - performance
« on: July 09, 2011, 12:54:14 PM »
I see indications in the ReadMe's accompanying some WHDLoad profiles that delay loops were inserted to preserve timing on faster-than-68000 machines. Some games are synced to vblank, and can benefit from extra CPU horsepower, without going "too fast" - they just get "smoother" at the same core rate of action.

Do all WHDLoad games run, say on a 030 50, at the exact speed as the 68000, or do some get a benefit / extra smoothness? If it's the former, how are the varying speeds of accelerators accounted for? Are folks running a little benchmark up front and then using the result as a variable for the delay loop multiplier?

I have an A2000 '020, btw.

Thanks.

bp
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline LaserBack

• Show only replies by LaserBack
Re: WHDLoad game question - performance
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:48:47 PM »
Quote from: blakespot;648793
I see indications in the ReadMe's accompanying some WHDLoad profiles that delay loops were inserted to preserve timing on faster-than-68000 machines. Some games are synced to vblank, and can benefit from extra CPU horsepower, without going "too fast" - they just get "smoother" at the same core rate of action.

Do all WHDLoad games run, say on a 030 50, at the exact speed as the 68000, or do some get a benefit / extra smoothness? If it's the former, how are the varying speeds of accelerators accounted for? Are folks running a little benchmark up front and then using the result as a variable for the delay loop multiplier?

I have an A2000 '020, btw.

Thanks.

bp

it depends of the game
some games have been fixed and runs like on a 68000 but some game not very well coded still have timming issues
also some games will works better and smoother if you have an accelerator...but only a few like formula 1 grand prix...elite,frontier

Offline Leffmann

• Show only replies by Leffmann
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:34:28 PM »
Quote from: blakespot;648793

Almost all games will run in the speed they were designed to run in, regardless of any accelerators installed, and they will almost always use the display frequency as a clock source, and won't need to take the speed of any installed accelerators into account.

Boosting your Amiga with an accelerator and lots of RAM is well cool, but for just playing WHDLoad games it's money in the lake.

Offline doctorq

• Show only replies by doctorq
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »

Boosting your Amiga with an accelerator and lots of RAM is well cool, but for just playing WHDLoad games it's money in the lake.

As far as accelerator goes, yes, if you got a 68010 or better, but the more ram the better. It's not much fun playing games with less than 2 mb ram.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:38:03 AM »
The original StreetFighter2 port for amiga is one example of non vector based games that speeds up considerably with a faster machine to a point its unplayable on my 40mhz '040. Not that its particularly playable on a standard a1200 either. Seems most playable on a stock 68000 cpu.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline blakespotTopic starter

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 03:34:10 AM »
Quote from: Leffmann;649102

Well, I've got an A2000 w/ a 68020. 2MB 32-bit FAST + 4MB 16-bit FAST + 1MB CHIP. Not too much $$ spent on acceleration, and I guess a decent amount of RAM.

bp
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline Leffmann

• Show only replies by Leffmann
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
I've got an accelerated A1200 myself, and with a hobby like this it doesn't make sense to question why we soup up our Amigas like we do.

It was just meant as an advice in general to people who are looking to get into WHDLoad, as some are easily led to believe that they must get a 28 MHz 68030 with 16M RAM or whatever, to play the same game that ran on their 512K Amiga 500.