Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Back in the day Apple Demo using Amiga 2000  (Read 487 times)

Description: Is this true?

Offline TronmanTopic starter

Back in the day Apple Demo using Amiga 2000
« on: February 02, 2024, 09:50:53 AM »
This story has been going around the Amiga world for decades..  when Apple was set to demo the Mac IIfx and it wasn't ready yet, they mocked up a stock Amiga 2000 under the desk, to look like a Mac on screen for the demo.  Everyone was really impressed with how fast the new Apple was.

I told this story in front of Mac nerds and of course it was the "biggest load of horse s**t" they'd ever heard.  So, true Amigans..  has anyone got a source for this story, or is it really just an Amigan old wive's tale?

Offline TronmanTopic starter

Re: Back in the day Apple Demo using Amiga 2000
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 02:49:44 AM »
I suspect that what really happened, was they used a SCALA or Can-Do deck to simulate the new computer in a way that no Mac in 1989 could do-through a great big NTSC television or projector.  Before Nubus, no Mac could output to a television, let alone play so well natively with NTSC.  As I pointed out to the Mac nerds, who were of course quick to talk about how long they had used Mac and how they were faster than a stock Amiga 2000..  DUH a 68030 machine is faster.  However, the Amiga didn't have to be as fast as a new Mac-all it had to do was play one on TV with a snappy and somewhat interactive demo that no one could check on its real tech specs.

You know, like how Apple got called out for those "shot on iPhone" commercials where yes, the sensor was an iPhone-but it had 30,000 dollars worth of cinema glass and rigging and lighting and professional camera operation of said rig going on in front of that phone.  At that point, even my $200 Android could make some pretty convincing looking cinematography.