Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lets talk about A1222 - Tabor  (Read 40248 times)

Description:

Offline number6

Re: Lets talk about A1222 - Tabor
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2018, 05:19:14 PM »
Quote from: AdvancedFollower;836842
Honestly, 2.5 years is way too long to wait for a NIC driver. The actual amount of code that has to be written isn't that great, and open source Linux drivers could probably be used for reference.

I work at a company that does software development (though I'm not directly involved with development myself), and they regularly complete major development projects in a few hundred to a thousand hours, which when split between a few people means a few months max. If we spent years on a single development project, we'd be out of business.
Either the person responsible isn't dedicating enough time to development (less than a few hours per week), or simply doesn't have the skills and experience necessary for driver development.

For what it's worth, this is the explanation from a dev point of view, in case you did not read the entire original thread:
Jamie Krueger

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2018, 06:03:46 PM »
Quote from: AdvancedFollower;836842
Honestly, 2.5 years is way too long to wait for a NIC driver. The actual amount of code that has to be written isn't that great, and open source Linux drivers could probably be used for reference.

In all fairness, having a Linux model doesn't always offer as much utility as people think.
Of all the NG OS', AROS seems to be the operating system that benefits most from Linux examples.
The PPC OS' usually require tighter more streamlined solutions.

But this difference is why I favor NG OS', as Linux uses an ever growing brute force model, while NG OS' descend from a 68K OS where resources were much tighter and coding efficiency had to be maximized.

And my own coding is suited to this as I always wrote for modularity, breaking down tasks into separate sub parts.
What worked well once to limit resource demands on 68K OS' now serves well in SMP OS' to maximize threading.

Also, I think we've had some really creative coders in the Amiga community, and some of them are still here turning out improved solutions.

Further, I just exchanged a message with Ralph Schmidt today, and I made a point of thanking him for his use of a micro kernel in MorphOS. With no apologies to Torvalds, I still think this is a more efficient and stable way to base an OS (unlike the massive monolithic kernel Linux is based on - where the kernel alone is larger than AmigaOS in its entirety).

We have a history of thinking outside of the box, basically descended from our heritage with the first commonly available multimedia computer.
And even some of our dead end were pretty cool (like I would have loved to see the QNX based fork of AmigaOS continue to be developed).

SO...what's the point of this post? Well, Linux models reflect their inefficient UNIX heritage. And as someone who moved from 68K Xenix based systems to more efficient 68K OS' that were being promoted for process control applications, I KNOW there are better ways to do things than the mainstream standards.

Basically, just because Windows, OSX/MacOS and Linux (at a very distant third) dominate the market, it DOESN'T mean we have to model our approaches on these OS'.
Sometimes different can be better.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:09:55 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2018, 06:04:35 PM »
Sorry, a crash led to a duplicate post.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:08:30 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2018, 06:12:08 PM »
Quote from: number6;836844
For what it's worth, this is the explanation from a dev point of view, in case you did not read the entire original thread:
Jamie Krueger

I read what the dev is writing but I tend to agree with AdvancedFollower's assessment. I'm an engineer working for a company developing both hardware and Software and if I've learned one thing over the years, that is if you leave the timeline for any commercial project in the hands of the engineers you will be waiting a long time.

I am consistently amazed at how quickly projects can advance when good project management practices and collaboration are in place. These are the two elements I often see lacking when it comes to Amiga projects.
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - PrĂ­stino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline AdvancedFollower

• Show only replies by AdvancedFollower
    • https://roughlyit.hopto.org/
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2018, 09:45:19 AM »
http://amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2018-03-00028-EN.html

Ouch! I wonder if this is connected to the delay of the A1222...

Offline psxphill

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2018, 10:22:15 AM »
Quote from: AmigaEd;836847
I read what the dev is writing but I tend to agree with AdvancedFollower's assessment. I'm an engineer working for a company developing both hardware and Software and if I've learned one thing over the years, that is if you leave the timeline for any commercial project in the hands of the engineers you will be waiting a long time.

It depends on the engineers and what you have asked them to do.

I always found that the timeline for my projects were impacted more by management having crazy ideas for how things should be implemented.

If I was developing the network driver for this I'd start with the easiest way, even if it meant using a "bloated linux driver" and it only ran at 100mb/s etc. If people want to wait for a gigabit driver before purchasing then that is their choice & I would make it clear that a better driver was still in development but may never happen.

Once the hardware is out there then someone else might even develop a better network driver.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:25:24 AM by psxphill »

Offline Bennymee

• Show only replies by Bennymee
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2018, 12:05:13 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;837399
It depends on the engineers and what you have asked them to do.

I always found that the timeline for my projects were impacted more by management having crazy ideas for how things should be implemented.

If I was developing the network driver for this I'd start with the easiest way, even if it meant using a "bloated linux driver" and it only ran at 100mb/s etc. If people want to wait for a gigabit driver before purchasing then that is their choice & I would make it clear that a better driver was still in development but may never happen.

Once the hardware is out there then someone else might even develop a better network driver.

My thoughts, besides that, none of my Amiga's -  NG machines >3MB/sec.
Amiga 500, 1200, 4000, Amigaone, Morphos, CyberstormPPC, Blizzardppc, OS4.x

Offline dirkzwager

• Show only replies by dirkzwager
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2018, 07:29:34 PM »
Hyperion forcibly deleted from Belgium's company register

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2018-03-00028-EN.html

i hope this has no effect on the tabor
Amiga 4000/040 with picasso 4, Amiga 500 with ACA 500 plus, Powerbook G4 17* 1,67 Mhz and MorphOs,

Offline Arnuph1s

• Show only replies by Arnuph1s
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2018, 01:53:38 AM »
Hopefully the A1222 boards won't need re-capping by the time the OS catches them up.
Proud member of SACC (Sacramento Amiga Computer Club) http://www.sacc.org/

If you want this year to be the best, make sure you come to AMIWEST! http://www.amiwest.net/

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2018, 01:59:54 AM »
Quote from: dirkzwager;837426
Hyperion forcibly deleted from Belgium's company register

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2018-03-00028-EN.html

i hope this has no effect on the tabor

Maybe this explains the delays in the drivers and FPU code for the Tabor....and it won't stop Hyperion from doing what they do best, which is file law suits.  They certainly haven't done OS4 any favors since they released it 14 years ago.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:03:53 AM by ferrellsl »

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2018, 02:53:22 AM »
Quote from: Arnuph1s;837434
Hopefully the A1222 boards won't need re-capping by the time the OS catches them up.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Offline dirkzwager

• Show only replies by dirkzwager
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2018, 09:08:27 AM »
Some times i am tired of waiting on the A1222. But we (i)have no choice. Probely i go start a Pi project with Amibian.
I had the choice to by Vampire in september. I din't by it because of the tabor that came out at amiga32 in Germany in october '17. When i now what i now today i better had by the vampire.
I hope the A1222 come out shortly
Amiga 4000/040 with picasso 4, Amiga 500 with ACA 500 plus, Powerbook G4 17* 1,67 Mhz and MorphOs,

Offline Skateman

• Show only replies by Skateman
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2018, 09:30:27 PM »
this... "Hyperion forcibly deleted from Belgium's company register" is old info and solved already.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon R7 250 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Ubuntu Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2018, 12:33:17 PM »
people will continue to believe what they prefer no matter what.

Offline Acill

« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2018, 03:36:41 PM »
Maybe, but its now been three years since the 1222 has been done. It doesnt take a competent software developer over three years to get drivers in a usable state for sound and ethernet. I call this total and complete incompetence myself.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline trekiej

« Reply #89 from previous page: March 18, 2018, 05:02:37 PM »
What does it take to find out what is going on?
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.