Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Boxed Commodore computers  (Read 2078 times)

Description:

Offline cpfuture

• Show all replies
Re: Boxed Commodore computers
« on: December 04, 2007, 03:53:49 PM »
Don't want to be a party pooper, but I bought a CD32 from the same source and although the auction said it was boxed, it came in a regular brown box and not the one pictured in the auction!! Beware!

Offline cpfuture

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 04:15:19 PM »
Hi Dragster,

I bought from the "German" location, but don't be fooled. The CD32 came from China just as well. The CD32 and everything that was included was in fine condition, but the primary reason I placed a bid was because of the original packaging.

I bought mine in June and while most others went for anything between 50 and 90 euros I got lucky with a winning bid of 30 euros. I suppose the seller didn't like that very much, since I got my CD32 in a regular old brown box. I contacted him about this and he stated it was in the original box when he sent it and that's the last I heard from him. I even sent him photographs of the box it arrived in (I still have them).

I filed a claim with PayPal and the seller didn't respond so I got 10 euros back off the purchase price, but as you can see the seller charges a hefty 50 euros for shipping, so I still ended up paying a total of 70 euros for a CD32 without original box. All I'm saying is beware. The seller is xiklaus_cd.

Offline cpfuture

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Just to update. I haven't used my CD32 yet, because I still need to buy a 220v-110v step down converter, but the CD32 and all the rest really look like it's brand new. The story goes that Commodore had these NTSC units manufactured in the Philippines, but had problems importing the units into the States and went bankrupt. The manufacturer kept the units because they weren't getting paid by Commodore. The current units on eBay are probably NOS (new old stock) from that source.

About the PAL/NTSC issue, as far as I know you can switch this NTSC unit into PAL if you need to. Simply connect a regular Amiga mouse to port 2 and hold both mouse buttons at startup to enter a boot menu. Then simply select PAL or NTSC. Obviously I haven't tried this yet, but I've read this several times including in the Wikipedia article on the CD32.

Hope this info helps.

@ Dragster: Cool avatar  :-D