Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Boxed Commodore computers  (Read 2066 times)

Description:

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
Re: Boxed Commodore computers
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 04, 2007, 04:10:46 PM »

hamtronix wrote:
So did a pallet load get nixed to China or something? They seem to have 1000's of them...

The story is that they made them for commodore, which went bankrupt without paying for them. The factory held onto the units and they were found in the back of a warehouse recently and are now being flogged off.

Offline cpfuture

• Show only replies by cpfuture
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 04:15:19 PM »
Hi Dragster,

I bought from the "German" location, but don't be fooled. The CD32 came from China just as well. The CD32 and everything that was included was in fine condition, but the primary reason I placed a bid was because of the original packaging.

I bought mine in June and while most others went for anything between 50 and 90 euros I got lucky with a winning bid of 30 euros. I suppose the seller didn't like that very much, since I got my CD32 in a regular old brown box. I contacted him about this and he stated it was in the original box when he sent it and that's the last I heard from him. I even sent him photographs of the box it arrived in (I still have them).

I filed a claim with PayPal and the seller didn't respond so I got 10 euros back off the purchase price, but as you can see the seller charges a hefty 50 euros for shipping, so I still ended up paying a total of 70 euros for a CD32 without original box. All I'm saying is beware. The seller is xiklaus_cd.

Offline cpfuture

• Show only replies by cpfuture
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Just to update. I haven't used my CD32 yet, because I still need to buy a 220v-110v step down converter, but the CD32 and all the rest really look like it's brand new. The story goes that Commodore had these NTSC units manufactured in the Philippines, but had problems importing the units into the States and went bankrupt. The manufacturer kept the units because they weren't getting paid by Commodore. The current units on eBay are probably NOS (new old stock) from that source.

About the PAL/NTSC issue, as far as I know you can switch this NTSC unit into PAL if you need to. Simply connect a regular Amiga mouse to port 2 and hold both mouse buttons at startup to enter a boot menu. Then simply select PAL or NTSC. Obviously I haven't tried this yet, but I've read this several times including in the Wikipedia article on the CD32.

Hope this info helps.

@ Dragster: Cool avatar  :-D

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 04:32:58 PM »
So how many were made?  I thought originally 400,000 but maybe they could only pay for 100,000 that everybody quotes...

Now we need some PPC accelerators for them similar to the ProModule and get an OS4 for Classic patch.

Offline alexh

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 05:32:51 PM »

lou_dias wrote:
So how many were made?

No one will know for sure.

I thought originally 400,000 but maybe they could only pay for 100,000 that everybody quotes...

All quotes are almost certainly pure speculation. There were no real sales figures AFAIK. If you read something printed in a magazine, it's almost certainly marketing nonsense.

I think you'd need Commodore shareholder reports, internal documents or something to know for sure.

A large proportion of the total number of CD32's (or any retro computer that age) must be broken or have been thrown away as rubbish by now?

Selling over 1000 units of any Amiga expansion today must be pushing it.

Offline Dr.Bongo

• Show only replies by Dr.Bongo
    • http://www.c64radio.com
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 05:36:51 PM »
alexh wrote "Collectors... worse than rapists if you ask me "

Please explain?
38911 BASIC BYTES FREE, less when I`ve had a drink!

*** http://c64radio.com *** Commodore 64 Radio 24/7 for free!

Offline alexh

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 05:40:56 PM »
To buy something just to keep it locked up, in the box, just looking at.

Rather than out in the wild, plugged in being and used for Amiga games etc.

Collectors and their counterparts "hoarders" who need two of everything, pah both evil little creatures ;-)

You cant take it with you... live for today!

Offline Dr.Bongo

• Show only replies by Dr.Bongo
    • http://www.c64radio.com
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 05:48:59 PM »
@alexh

Well can`t say I fully share your view (although I do agree with buy it and use it). I makes me feel quite happy and a little warm inside to find piece of commodore that I don`t own, even better if it`s boxed.

I don`t normally pick at peoples comments on forums but I have to say that calling collectors `rapists` annoyed me a little. I find it unfair.
38911 BASIC BYTES FREE, less when I`ve had a drink!

*** http://c64radio.com *** Commodore 64 Radio 24/7 for free!

Offline amiga92570

• Show only replies by amiga92570
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »

cpfuture wrote:
Just to update. I haven't used my CD32 yet, because I still need to buy a 220v-110v step down converter, but the CD32 and all the rest really look like it's brand new. The story goes that Commodore had these NTSC units manufactured in the Philippines, but had problems importing the units into the States and went bankrupt. The manufacturer kept the units because they weren't getting paid by Commodore. The current units on eBay are probably NOS (new old stock) from that source.

About the PAL/NTSC issue, as far as I know you can switch this NTSC unit into PAL if you need to. Simply connect a regular Amiga mouse to port 2 and hold both mouse buttons at startup to enter a boot menu. Then simply select PAL or NTSC. Obviously I haven't tried this yet, but I've read this several times including in the Wikipedia article on the CD32.

Hope this info helps.

@ Dragster: Cool avatar  :-D

Thats Weird, the two I purchased came in original Box, like new and were NTSC 110V. No step down transformer needed. I purchased mine from a seller with feedback in the 1000's. Maybe there are others. Also shipping was I think $40.00 and it got to the states in a week.
Amiga92570
==========================
(1) 4000T/040 (2)3000t CS 060/233ppc Picasso IV video, (2)D-box 1200 blizzard 060/200ppc Mediator fastATA, (1)amiga 1200 Power tower, (1)amiga 1200 EZ tower with mediator,1200/030/50mhz, (3) amiga 500 with CSA Mega Midget Racer and Trump card AT, (2) amiga 600 one with M-tec 030, (3) CD32 one sx32, two sx32-pro, More accessories and parts than I want to admit to

Offline alexh

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 07:31:11 PM »

Dr.Bongo wrote:
I don`t normally pick at peoples comments on forums but I have to say that calling collectors `rapists` annoyed me a little. I find it unfair.

I am so sorry if you are a rapist and are offended at being associated with those horrible collectors, it was never my intention to upset you. ;-) JOKE!

Seriously though, it was only supposed to shock. I thought of the worst people in society, toned it down a few and put what I thought was on the edge of bad taste.

But most people would agree that the fascination with collecting things that you dont intend to use, especially prevalent here in the UK, is not a particularly healthy one.

If you have a museum/website or intend to start one, then your collection is "for the education of others" which is an admirable reason.

This is not the driving force of most collectors, they have this uncontrollable need to own everything, in pristine condition, they dont know why, they just have to. It's an obsession rather than a collection.

I pitty the kids that kept their 1977 Ben Kenobi action figure in it's box and stared at it on the shelf. Ok so it's worth $180 today, but they missed out on so much. Playing pretend Star-Wars in the back garden with their friends, burying their figures in dirt to escape sandmen, swapping them in the school yard for a Wookie and a packet of crisps :roll:

@Carlo
So, have you got a C65? There was no box for this one I am afraid. They never made one. D'oh something else you need to collect ;-)

Offline A6000

• Show only replies by A6000
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 08:12:47 PM »
@alexh

If you really want to be offensive you should say collectors are worse than politicians.

Offline alexh

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 08:42:46 PM »
I didn't think politicians were in the same class, they are more akin to enthusiasts with "PC upgrade fever".

They hunger for power, and spend lots of money on projects that have little or no benefit over what they already had!

;-)