Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Peg II, G4 situation, and QNX port  (Read 3438 times)

Description:

Offline dslcc

• Show only replies by dslcc
Re: Peg II, G4 situation, and QNX port
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 03, 2003, 07:04:36 PM »
I can testify that. My friends board which got damaged during transit has been replaced without questions. This is what I call a service  

And I can second that. My first Peg1 died a painful death in the first 18 hours. They replaced it promptly! I am very impressed with the quality of service I have received from Genesi.  :-D Awesome!  :-D
:-o...

Offline greenboy

• Show only replies by greenboy
    • http://PhiNiXi.com
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2003, 07:30:15 PM »
Ah, QNX has *lots* of apps - but most of them are only seen onsite at various facilities, or in devices all over the place, or carrying network traffic  ; }

That makes them a good target for developers.
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2003, 08:30:43 PM »

greenboy wrote:
Ah, QNX has *lots* of apps - but most of them are only seen onsite at various facilities, or in devices all over the place, or carrying network traffic  ; }

QNX is nice selling argument among industry. Workin QNX port will open quite many doors to Pegasos sales.

And... it's not all bad for use, even though I rather take MOS or BeOS for my pega.

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2003, 10:02:50 PM »
QNX? , good
I've used neutrino and momentics on x86, I was glad to see an included I.D.E.  and the linux compatibility stuff.
configging my netcard has been a source of contention , other than that , no complaints.
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

Offline gary_cTopic starter

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2003, 02:48:58 AM »
greenboy wrote:
I checked into the thread because I saw QNX. I'm stoked about getting to see QNX on the Pegasos.

QNX would be a very nice match for Pegasos's small form factor. Looks like a (pleasantly) tough decision will be which OS to use for a given task. You can kind of see a spectrum with QNX at one end (hard realtime), Linux toward the middle (server and other embedded uses, and also desktop), and MorphOS at the other (desktop, but maybe edging toward the center for Genesi's other products). And then there's NetBSD, OpenBeOS, AROS, etc. with their own niches and potential. Some people are going to have a lot of boot options.   :-)

Sorry I didn't remember to mention all that to you, Gary. Oops.

No problem; I've had plenty to think about and do anyway. Finally got my Pegasos wired up last night. (Making the whole thing a family learning experience, I let my son Drew handle some of the small-finger-space tasks.  ;-)  It's neat when small kids want to get into it and there are some things they really can do better than us. :-) (Photo report coming eventually.)

-- gary_c

Offline Velcro_SP

• Show only replies by Velcro_SP
    • http://linux.tc3net.com/daclmi/
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2003, 04:02:01 AM »
On my original betatester (#2) we thought I had a problem with the hard-drive and they sent me another at no charge and without even asking me to return the original first. I did return it later though. So the commitment to customer service goes back to the earliest Pegasoses they sold.

Offline harsh

• Show only replies by harsh
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2003, 04:09:45 AM »
by greenboy on 2003/7/3 11:30:15
----8<-------------------------------------------
Ah, QNX has *lots* of apps - but most of them are only seen onsite at various facilities, or in devices all over the place, or carrying network traffic ; }

------------------------------------------->8----

I must admit that I'm baffled by your conclusion regarding the existing applications for QNX and how that lends itself well to a mass market environment.

That gearheads are really enjoying writing custom low-level applications couldn't be further from what "developers" are looking for.  Most developers I know want to write a few programs and sell them for big bucks to hundreds of thousands of no-too-discriminating buyers.

It seems from your statements that the most sought after software for doing QNX applications is going to be software development tools as opposed to applications and entertainment software.

Then again, there's a wide open market entirely lacking in software with mass market appeal.  Chicken and egg anyone?

Offline gary_cTopic starter

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2003, 06:17:15 AM »
I must admit that I'm baffled by your conclusion regarding the existing applications for QNX and how that lends itself well to a mass market environment.

I think you and greenboy are actually on the same page here. When he says 'developers,' I don't think he's necessarily talking about the mass market. I believe his point is that QNX on Pegasos may open up some opportunities in vertical niches, embedded applications, etc. specifically because these don't require the broad effort that succeeding in the mass market does. It's developers in these areas that may see some opportunities. If a specific need can be identified and a QNX/Pegasos solution provided, then it's a simpler task to handle things like hardware support, enduser support, sales, etc., since it's a closed system. I don't know if QNX/Pegasos complements or competes with Genesi's existing non-desktop products (POS and video, IIRC), but overall having QNX available would have to be a plus.

-- gary_c

Offline greenboy

• Show only replies by greenboy
    • http://PhiNiXi.com
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2003, 07:01:23 AM »
It's all software, and it's all development. Some guys like writing for and designing underwater robots that circle around the north pole for thousands of kilometers mapping the sea floor and taking samples - and then surfacing every so often to fire off packets of data to the nearest satellite. They like bringing science fiction into reality, and get a kick out of seeing things like that running for year after year with maybe an occasional remote software update or driver replacement, and no fatal crashes and barely an iota of downtime.

Go figure ; }
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

Offline Iggy_Drougge

• Show only replies by Iggy_Drougge
    • http://www.kristallpojken.org
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2003, 09:39:28 AM »
BBRV, hear this: I want those gigabit ethernet ports, in plural, and I will hold you responsible if they're not there on my birthday.
A4000/25MHz/64MB/20GB/RetinaBLTZ3/FastlaneZ3/CatweaselMKIII/Ariadne/A2301
A3000/40MHz/32MB/6GB/Merlin/Buddha/X-Surf/FrameMachineII+Prism24
Draco60/50MHz/128MB/15GB/Altais/DracoMotion/DV/IOblix+net

Offline Athlon

• Show only replies by Athlon
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2003, 08:03:51 AM »
Well I was told before October of this year....I sure hope so.

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2003, 11:28:20 AM »

takemehomegrandma wrote:

It will have DDR and a faster FSB, right? That would cover most of my wants&needs for the Peg2! :-)

Looking at the specs from Marvell I see no mention of higher FSB. The memory bus is 183MHz DDR, but they're still using a 133MHz 60x/MPC connection to the CPU(s). Right? But I guess 133MHz is higher than the 100 people are using on the Peg 1 ;-)

Oooh, that was a flamebait. Sorry :-)
I have a hard time believing in September for release, though.