Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Starting Development in AROS  (Read 1913 times)

Description:

Offline RanchuTopic starter

• Show all replies
Starting Development in AROS
« on: January 09, 2005, 12:09:30 PM »
I want to start developing some software utilities for AROS, however I'm having some difficulties getting the development environment set up.

I've got AROS running through Linux and I have downloaded the AROS source code but that's about as far as I got.  I tried to follow the development manual on the AROS website but got lost when they started talking about the build tools required.

• Show all replies
Re: Starting Development in AROS
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 12:28:50 PM »
I don't want to start work on AROS itself at this point, so I have no need for access to their CVS.

I'm need to set up the development environment so that I can write utilities for AROS.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 10:04:48 AM »
Okay I've installed the AROS SDK and put the bin folder in my path.

When I run
Code: [Select]
i386-aros-gcc -c hello.c it compiles fine but when i run
i386-aros-gcc -o hello hello.c it gives me the following error:

ld: cannot find -lgcc_s

Here is the output from
i386-aros-gcc -v hello.c

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.3.4/specs
Reading specs from /usr/share/aros-sdk/i386-aros/lib/gcc-lib/specs
Configured with: ../gcc-3.3.4/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-checking --with-gnu-ld --verbose --target=i486-slackware-linux --host=i486-slackware-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.4
 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.3.4/cc1 -quiet -v -D__GNUC__=3 -D__GNUC_MINOR__=3 -D__GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__=4 -D__AROS__ -D__AROS__ -nostdinc -isystem /usr/share/aros-sdk/i386-aros/include -isystem /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.3.4/include hello.c -quiet -dumpbase hello.c -auxbase hello -version -o /tmp/ccDz4jrR.s
GNU C version 3.3.4 (i486-slackware-linux)
        compiled by GNU C version 3.3.4.
GGC heuristics: --param ggc-min-expand=81 --param ggc-min-heapsize=96845
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 /usr/share/aros-sdk/i386-aros/include
 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.3.4/include
End of search list.
 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.3.4/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/as -V -Qy -o /tmp/ccmZorxF.o /tmp/ccDz4jrR.s
GNU assembler version 2.15.90.0.3 (i486-slackware-linux) using BFD version 2.15.90.0.3 20040415
 /usr/share/aros-sdk/i386-aros/lib/gcc-lib/collect-aros -m elf_i386 -L/usr/share/aros-sdk/i386-aros/lib /usr/share/aros-sdk/i386-aros/lib/startup.o -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.3.4 -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.3.4/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/lib -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.3.4/../../.. /tmp/ccmZorxF.o -lgcc --as-needed -lgcc_s --no-as-needed -lamiga -larossupport -larosc -lm -lgcc --as-needed -lgcc_s --no-as-needed -lautoinit
ld: cannot find -lgcc_s

I'm running Slackware 10.0.

Any ideas?

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 09:27:25 AM »
That seems to have fixed it falemagn.  I can now successfully compile and run a very simple program which outputs text to the console (the only library it uses is stdio).

However I'm now having a problem compiling the Zune "Hello World" example from AROS' website.  The error I get is:

There are undefined symbols in 'hello':
         U MUI_MakeObject
         U MUI_NewObject

Am I correct to assume there is a problem with my library files?  I'm using the AROS SDK downloaded a couple of days ago.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 03:29:55 AM »
Thanks again falemagn, I'm starting to think you know this stuff ;-)

I'm not very familiar with the AmigaOS API (most of my programming has been in Windows and Linux).  What would you recommend as a resource?  I was thinking of buying a copy of the Amiga Development CD.