Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This is a plea to anyone involved with the 90s AMIX mirrors  (Read 8833 times)

Description:

Offline NothTopic starter

• Show all replies
This is a plea to anyone involved with the 90s AMIX mirrors
« on: January 21, 2018, 06:37:32 AM »
If you were using or even running either litamiga.epfl.ch or amiga.physik.unizh.ch (the two main mirrors), please get in touch with either myself or others at http://amix.failsure.net. I'm hoping someone somewhere has a tape archive of the contents of those sites before they shut down, they're the treasure trove of Amiga Unix software that we need back!

• Show all replies
Re: This is a plea to anyone involved with the 90s AMIX mirrors
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 12:13:39 PM »
It appears to be down for the time being, hopefully will be back up some time this week.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 07:10:33 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;835257
I believe there was a Microsoft, Yahoo or Geocities group for Amix a while back.
edit:
How about this?
http://www.amigaunix.de/downloads.html

What I'm looking for is the thirdparty stuff built on AMIX for AMIX. Like the (updated to 2.x, including binutils) GCC toolchain, any net utils, etc etc. We have some on amix.failsure.net but litamiga.epfl.ch was the main repository for all that.

I'm really curious if anyone bothered to expand the Open Look desktop for example with some actually beyond housekeeping apps, or if anyone managed to build an actually working thirdparty windowmanager.

Also, Mosaic.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 02:02:22 AM »
Quote from: gregthecanuck;835315
@Noth

I think I may have an old AcuCOBOL compiler demo disk for Amiga UNIX. Interested?

This may be one of the rarest pieces of software on the planet.  ;-)

I suggest you talk to Jason Scott at archive.org or to the TOSEC people. A demo COBOL compiler isn't going to get an AMIX desktop anywhere useful.