Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: os4 theme for "commodore os?" hahahaha.  (Read 16413 times)

Description:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
Re: os4 theme for "commodore os?" hahahaha.
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 16, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »
Actually I found it interesting that someone made an icon pack that is actually better than the icons that came in the "base" system.

There can also be discussions with banter thrown in. It's when that banter becomes arguing and butthurt that it's probably time to pull the plug.

Offline haywirepcTopic starter

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
I don't understand all the technical problems they have had since all they are doing is skinning linux mint with their own wallpapers and adding too many pre-installed apps.

I never did a respin of linux mint but I have done one of vector linux (slackware based) puppy linux, and ubuntu. You just install whatever software you want, change theme, icons, and wallpaper and point and click to remaster...

I don't see that as a tremendous technical challenge, especially when you are targeting such a limited hardware pool.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 10:25:43 PM »
Yes, but what does Amiga OSX mean?  Is it Amiga, OSX or some weird combination of the two that he's aiming for?

Quote from: CritAnime;719371
Actually do a little research. The title page clearly says it's for Commodore OS. Along with the name of the guy publishing it. Although to be fair I don't get the osx thing.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Environment/Icons/Amiga-OSX-85248.shtml

The cusa threads do gain heat. But I have seen far worse in those ridiculous red vs blue threads. So wind your neck in. No one is forcing you to go on these threads. It's in its correct sub forum now so chill out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 11:30:40 PM »
Yeah maybe he's going for a combination of both, I don't know I'm not very familar with osx icons and themes, never ran it myself...

Otherwise maybe they are dumb enough to call their new respin amiga osx?

Would not surprise me, they stole text descriptions of mac computers straight from apples website before, copied and pasted their own computer names in... That was one of their websites, you can still see it with wayback machine.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 12:07:43 AM »
At this point I really wouldn't put any theoretical limit on their laziness/shamelessness. I just have to wonder how they ever concluded that labelling Linux as "OSX" would help to sell it when the underlying product hasn't actually changed.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 09:56:42 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;719401
I don't understand all the technical problems they have had since all they are doing is skinning linux mint with their own wallpapers and adding too many pre-installed apps.

I never did a respin of linux mint but I have done one of vector linux (slackware based) puppy linux, and ubuntu. You just install whatever software you want, change theme, icons, and wallpaper and point and click to remaster...

I don't see that as a tremendous technical challenge, especially when you are targeting such a limited hardware pool.

The issues seem to be coming from the fact he is using scripts and drivers that don't come as standard with the installation. That and he is using an outdated base distro meaning all the new and "powerful" hardware they use won't have any support. Most can be a simple fix but it's all a pain in the arse to do.

The version 2 of COS he seems to be using a newer version of Mint and I would hope that he sticks to just skinning it. Because some of the bugs and glitches are just silly.

Quote from: commodorejohn;719411
At this point I really wouldn't put any theoretical limit on their laziness/shamelessness. I just have to wonder how they ever concluded that labelling Linux as "OSX" would help to sell it when the underlying product hasn't actually changed.

I don't think the guy who did this icon pack has anything to do with CUSA. But it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up in the upcoming release.

edit==

Ok here is a really odd theory about the name. OS 4 sometimes gets referred to as OS 4.x so has the guy just missed the 4. and instead put OSX?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:59:26 AM by CritAnime »

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 06:53:14 PM »
If I was doing a respin of any linux distro, the first thing I'd do is make sure I had the latest version iso...

Gottta love a "chief technical officer" who dosn't know how to write scripts doing so anyway with an old linux version on top of that...

AMAZING.

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 03:08:19 AM »
I had the isos here and just to satisfy my curiosity I guess... I tried it out.

Its not bad I suppose for a respin... Some thought at least went into the organization of programs and things. The retro sounds not so welcome though,and the color theme hurts my eyes a bit.

Otherwise not bad, especially if your too lazy to install your own programs, there is alot of stuff here to play with I suppose.

I don't think I would use this over vanilla mint linux though... or vector, or ubuntu or any other distro. It sure wouldn't be enough to entice me to spend so much on off the shelf hardware with a commodore logo.

I suppose that the theme in cos does go with the stickers/logo on their pcs though if your that hardcore about commodore.

If I really wanted a commodore themed computer,I think I'd rather make a custom machine with my own stickers and my own wallpapers on some version of linux with vice and eau installed.

I kinda did that with a white 2.X ghz cybernet zpc running winuae but I removed the windows shell. It boots straight to amiga os3.x. Runs most things
amiga nicely and has an amiga sticker on it.

It quad boots that setup, along with linux, another regular instance of windows xp and aros also.

This machine also has amiga forever with the amigasys and amikit setups...

I'd like to add haiku and os2 or ecomstation someday also, but the hard drive is not so big atm.

Anyhow, even for a true commodore fan, I would not use this, and I think
I'd be disappointed in this cos if I did buy some of their very expensive
hardware and this was what they gave me with it.