Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Philosophical Question - Amiguing  (Read 13328 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Philosophical Question - Amiguing
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 10:22:20 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;740976
I wonder what the incidence rate of individuals who fall within the Autistic Spectrum are within the Amiga community (or even retro computing communities in general) is compared with society as a whole?

I'd be willing to wager it is pretty high.
Based on what? The idiotic Hollywood stereotype that "autistic" = "Rain Man?" The tendencies of self-diagnosed 'spergies?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 10:36:30 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;740967

But none of that can change the coding.

C# with Visual Studio 2010 and .NET framework 2.0 can change that. But it can't change that when you start developing new piece of software for mainstream system someone else has done it already. ;)
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 10:41:55 PM »
I wonder what the incidence rate of individuals who fall within the Autistic Spectrum are within the Amiga community (or even retro computing communities in general) is compared with society as a whole?

Don't know much about autism, but I tend to think of it as an OCD.  I have been known to spend hours tweaking each individual pixel of my icons and window spacing to make them exactly how I want them, it sets my nerves on edge to see anyone post screenshots using standard Workbench 3.1 icons.  ;)

Like Clu from Tron: Legacy - building the perfect system!
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline spirantho

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 10:47:45 PM »

I reckon it's exactly the same proportion as in the world community as a whole.... I don't see why a difference in taste should denote autism?
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline spirantho

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 10:50:46 PM »
Quote from: itix;740984
C# with Visual Studio 2010 and .NET framework 2.0 can change that. But it can't change that when you start developing new piece of software for mainstream system someone else has done it already. ;)

Exactly that! So I'm not alone after all. :) Do something for Windows or Linux and you're more than likely re-re-re-re-inventing the wheel. Yet there are so many ways with AmigaOS we can still contribute - so many programs not yet written or ported. In other words, AmigaOS has so much more potential when it comes to coding - you can do something and it's useful, and people appreciate it. That is a Good Thing(tm).
--
Ian Gledhill
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 11:02:45 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;740980
Based on what? The idiotic Hollywood stereotype that "autistic" = "Rain Man?" The tendencies of self-diagnosed 'spergies?

Based on being the father of a child with Autism.

Oh and having taught Computer Science at college to young adults who fall within the spectrum too.
Next.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:06:05 PM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 11:08:13 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;740986
Don't know much about autism, but I tend to think of it as an OCD.  I have been known to spend hours tweaking each individual pixel of my icons and window spacing to make them exactly how I want them, it sets my nerves on edge to see anyone post screenshots using standard Workbench 3.1 icons.  ;)

Like Clu from Tron: Legacy - building the perfect system!

:)

I think having the feeling (whether perceived or actual) of total control over the system is a major part of the attraction/addiction.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;740987
I reckon it's exactly the same proportion as in the world community as a whole.... I don't see why a difference in taste should denote autism?

It's the aspect of perceived/actual total control over the system that appears to feed the need for order that using limited computers can provide that makes me think the ratio might be higher.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 11:22:19 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;740989
Based on being the father of a child with Autism.

Oh and having taught Computer Science at college to young adults who fall within the spectrum too.
Next.
Okay, then you do have experience with the subject. (Big brother of an  autistic-spectrum kid here.) I would, however, expect that that should  make you less likely to throw the term around in relation to any  old fringe culture...

Quote from: nicholas;740992
It's the aspect of perceived/actual total control  over the system that appears to feed the need for order that using  limited computers can provide that makes me think the ratio might be  higher.
So liking control and involvement means you're likely autistic? What about hotrodding enthusiasts? They like classic cars for basically the same reasons...
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 11:41:05 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;740970
There's this notion that anybody who prefers older things can only be doing so out of irrational nostalgia

But who the hell ever said humans are rational?

Offline spirantho

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 12:00:06 AM »
I think there's a massive difference between the autistic/OCD elements, and those of people who enjoy tinkering.

I can't claim to know much about autism or OCD, not suffering from either (despite, it seems, being an Amiga user), but my understanding is that someone with OCD has to get things the way they feel it should be. I think people who don't have OCD can still enjoy tinkering with things, and can still want things to be "just right" - I don't think that counts as a disorder, though; I think it counts as "being human". We all have it to some extent or another.

Most hobbies that I know of involve being very particular about things - stamp collectors have to have a nice neat postmark or full gum. Coin collectors have to have the correct patina. Record collectors have to have the right pressing. Car collectors have to get rid of every bit of rust or dirt. That sort of thing. And most people have a hobby of some kind.

Given that most people I know have something somewhere they're particular about, I think it's just part of being a homo sapiens.
--
Ian Gledhill

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 12:22:36 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;740999
But who the hell ever said humans are rational?
Haven't you heard, Thorham? On the Internet, you are always rational, logical, and objectively correct, and anyone who disagrees with you is a blithering, irrational, sentimental loony!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 12:43:20 AM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;740957
...and you never ask yourself why? Why AmigaOS is the only OS you enjoyed coding/using/playing around with?

C'mon, there are several other flavor of OSes out there, that you can do everything you did with an Amiga and much more....

Wouldn't you call that... nostalgia?

I'm also a late starter (got my first Amiga about 6 years ago).   I'd still call my interest nostalgia even though I never had one back-in-the-day.   I guess what interests me is that fact that it was so good in it's day (I really wanted one), it's also because it should have been so much more than it was and finally it's the fact that there is still so much interest in it.   If it wasn't for the fact that I stumbled across active Amiga forums 6 years ago I never would have thought about buying one for the first time :)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 01:45:04 AM »
Answer is:
Nostalgia. Pure, unadulterated, and self-indulgent.
Now, others will state all sorts of  "reasons" like "it's a hobby" or "the other systems don't allow me to tinker", but behind it all is just nostalgia.

If you look at the 'distribution of innovation' model, the last phase/group is referred to as Laggards, and in the late '90s and early 2000s Amiga users would have fallen in this category, but we are way past this point. Whilst our ranks have a few detractors we are mostly in it for the nostalgia. On a daily basis we will use Windows/Linux/Mac OS X computers, and tablets and smartphones and games consoles and other useful gadgets, we have an Amiga to remind us of another time when things were simpler and we were part of the few that 'got it'. Like a weirdly functional photograph or a mosquito in amber that can still fly around.

I too am one of these, I have a fully functional OS3.9 A1200 w/040. Alas, it has more in common with a typewriter than a contemporary computing device. But that's a whole other philosophical topic.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 03:18:51 AM »
Yeah you be pretty hard pressed to find forums users 10 years on, on most forums these days. Yet most of us have endured! why? who knows.

I see My Amiga500 as a platform. That has limitations, The limitations imposed are what give
it personality!.. those 4096 colors I'm sure we have all seen hundreds of times. in fact alot of us can probably give out the hex code to a color we see on the screen lol!

The Amiga has something other computers don't. And its not because I was using one when I was 14. Now that I'm 33 i don't think its a nostalgia thing. But then again who knows how ones mind works...

The Amiga will never rise again as a new platform, simply because it doesn't need one.
The platform it filled is still there.

(ps i think this is my longest post in 10 years lol)

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 17, 2013, 03:26:04 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;741005
Haven't you heard, Thorham? On the Internet, you are always rational, logical, and objectively correct, and anyone who disagrees with you is a blithering, irrational, sentimental loony!
Ha ha, indeed :D

Quote from: agami;741013
Answer is:
Nostalgia. Pure, unadulterated, and self-indulgent.

Sure it is... for you, and you can't speak for everyone.

we have an Amiga to remind us of another time when things were simpler and we were part of the few that 'got it'.

Can you please stop speaking for everyone? I have an Amiga because I like Amiga computers, and most certainly not to remind of 'simpler' times.

Alas, it has more in common with a typewriter than a contemporary computing device.

What an absolute nonsense :rolleyes: