Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: real amiga vs winuae  (Read 23630 times)

Description:

Offline Tension

Re: real amiga vs winuae
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 12:33:36 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;508762

How many real amigas can you put to sleep and resume later?

Are you having a tin bath??  How many PeeCees can boot in 7 seconds??

My laptop takes twice that time just to wake up from its microsoft-induced slumber, and only if it can be arsed!!

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 12:36:02 AM »
Quote from: Tension;508858

My laptop takes twice that time just to wake up from its microsoft-induced slumber, and only if it can be arsed!!

That's not actually what I meant. You can save a snapshot of your current WinUAE sesion and reload it later. I've never actually tried it though.
int p; // A

Offline Tension

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 12:37:34 AM »
Quote from: Jose;508790
It all depends on what you want. I'm setting up one of my real Amigas to record guitar riffs (so that I don't forget them if I wake up in the middle of the night with a riff in my head...) because booting is much faster than windows.
Maybe it could be done with minimal Linux install though, but that would probably be too complicated even for advanced users with the gazillion options and dependencies...

Even for AGA games it might be better to just use a real Amiga if you want to connect to a TV. That said I haven't followed up lastes developments on WinUAE, I remember there was some tweaks it made to the gfx (antialiasing etc.) that real Amigas didn't, that might make the output more acceptable on a high resolution screen.

Sounds like you need a MiniDisc deck. :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 12:49:01 AM »
Quote from: Tension;508860
Sounds like you need a MiniDisc deck. :)

Wow... I've not used minidisc for well over 10 years... Everything is flash now, I use a Zoom H4 for quick off line stuff.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 02:22:50 AM »
It all depends on what you want. I'm setting up one of my real Amigas to record guitar riffs (so that I don't forget them if I wake up in the middle of the night with a riff in my head...) because booting is much faster than windows.
Maybe it could be done with minimal Linux install though, but that would probably be too complicated even for advanced users with the gazillion options and dependencies...

try convincing Karlos that the amiga boots significantly faster than a PC and that this a useful thing.  But according to Karlos you, like me, are insane or suffer from attention deficit disorder.

Offline danybebeTopic starter

• Show only replies by danybebe
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 03:20:29 AM »
Hi, thanks to all, I'm definitely going to try just the pc with Winuae, I think is going to be enough for my usage, and later I'll see. Anyway, I love to tinker with the hard, so I'd love to actually put one of them to work, but I'm afraid I'm going to go bankrupt doing that. :-)

Anyway, I did a mistake, today I took a look again to my collection (I have a lot of stuff stored for the last years, so much in fact I couldn't remember everything) and I found out the Amiga 3000 is not a 3000, but a 2000, and I found out I have other 2 amigas 500, so the complete list of what I have is a Amigas 2000, 1000 and 2 500s, none with hard drive (and 1 powers up but do strange things or crash in less than a minute, many be has damaged memory?).

I see the Amiga 2000 have ISA slots, can I install a pc IDE card on them?

Is any of this worth of installing a hard drive or putting back to life?

Offline danybebeTopic starter

• Show only replies by danybebe
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 03:26:32 AM »

Even for AGA games it might be better to just use a real Amiga if you want to connect to a TV. That said I haven't followed up lastes developments on WinUAE, I remember there was some tweaks it made to the gfx (antialiasing etc.) that real Amigas didn't, that might make the output more acceptable on a high resolution screen.

What are you talking about? The monitor of the pc I'm going to put the Amiga emulator is at 37" LCD TV (using HDMI, DVI or VGA) so I think the emulator is so much better and flexible that the real thing.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 04:10:47 AM »
Quote from: danybebe;508881
Hi, thanks to all, I'm definitely going to try just the pc with Winuae, I think is going to be enough for my usage, and later I'll see. Anyway, I love to tinker with the hard, so I'd love to actually put one of them to work, but I'm afraid I'm going to go bankrupt doing that. :-)

Anyway, I did a mistake, today I took a look again to my collection (I have a lot of stuff stored for the last years, so much in fact I couldn't remember everything) and I found out the Amiga 3000 is not a 3000, but a 2000, and I found out I have other 2 amigas 500, so the complete list of what I have is a Amigas 2000, 1000 and 2 500s, none with hard drive (and 1 powers up but do strange things or crash in less than a minute, many be has damaged memory?).

I see the Amiga 2000 have ISA slots, can I install a pc IDE card on them?

The ISA bus is only connected to the amiga bus if you have a "bridgeboard" 8088 or 386 hardware emulator. So not really...

You need a Zorro-II IDE solution.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 04:13:33 AM »
This is 2009, Virtual is the new Reality!

Quote from: danybebe;508884
What are you talking about? The monitor of the pc I'm going to put the Amiga emulator is at 37" LCD TV (using HDMI, DVI or VGA) so I think the emulator is so much better and flexible that the real thing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 06:16:05 AM »
Since you have a real A3000, use that (at least you're not limited to your C= monitor). A SCSI harddrive should not be difficult to locate and you won't really need a huge one either so that should keep your costs down. Minimally, learn how to format the HD, and install Workbench. Most programs have an installer program included, or with games, use WHDload which cuts down on your frustration with copy protection, and that isn't very hard at all. Emulation can get you the top-of-the-line Amiga experience, but nothing beats using the real stuff, especially if you have it, and it works!
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 07:17:57 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;508876
try convincing Karlos that the amiga boots significantly faster than a PC and that this a useful thing.  But according to Karlos you, like me, are insane or suffer from attention deficit disorder.

I'm sure your amiga boots faster than your PC. Mine does not. Nor do I particularly care since I don't spend all day rebooting either of them for the simplistic joy of it. Jose has been on these boards a lot longer than you have, I don't need to demonstrate my Amiga enthusiast credentials to him.

I really don't know where you popped up from but I honestly thought people as frantically obsessed about boot times and the superiority of 20 year old hardware over all that has come after it had all disappeared long ago :lol:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:24:33 AM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
Quote from: danybebe;508881

Have UAE and your real machines and enjoy the best of both worlds.

You should carefully disassemble the machine (all antistatic precautions taken) and reseat any socketed parts, clean the edge connectors of any boards and blow any dust the hell out of there. Check for any leakage from capacitors or batteries. These are old machines, you should expect a few startup foibles.

Sure it is. I couldn't use an amiga without a hard disk these days. My days of rolling custom boot floppies are long gone :)
int p; // A

Offline 0amigan0

• Show only replies by 0amigan0
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2009, 07:58:18 AM »
Quote from: Tension;508858

Ever heard of a cool modern feature called "hibernation" ?? Try it !! You'll love it !!

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 08:06:32 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;508911
I'm sure your amiga boots faster than your PC. Mine does not. Nor do I particularly care since I don't spend all day rebooting either of them for the simplistic joy of it. Jose has been on these boards a lot longer than you have, I don't need to demonstrate my Amiga enthusiast credentials to him.

I really don't know where you popped up from but I honestly thought people as frantically obsessed about boot times and the superiority of 20 year old hardware over all that has come after it had all disappeared long ago :lol:

Jose made an unrelated post without seeing your posts that just happened to blow you arguments out of the water: he uses his Amiga for his music because it boots faster than windows.  And Linux unless (maybe) you can be arsed creating a custom Linux.  Clearly you can be arsed.  The rest of the world have got better things to do then that.  Jose gave a real-world example of how his Amiga is superior to the PC- YOUR PC included.

its funny how a guy with 12,000 posts can be such a sore LOSER, or may be just LOSER full stop...a moderator and all. just goes to show that a title and the number of posts counts for naught.

You selectively ignore posts that don't fit your point of view, and you even resort to name-calling just because you can't back your argument with facts.

Really you're a bit of a disgrace.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:07:15 AM by stefcep2 »

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
real amiga vs winuae
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 08:17:11 AM »
What's with all the c**k swinging lately? What happened to, "You like Amigas? Sweet. Me, too."

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 03, 2009, 09:23:02 AM »
@stefcep2

An old-fashioned cassette recorder doesn't even boot. It's even faster for recording 3am riffs. Of course, finding tapes for it is the limit of usefulness there...
int p; // A