Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quantum leap towards computer of the future  (Read 3514 times)

Description:

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
Re: Quantum leap towards computer of the future
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 07:02:35 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;581544
Government funded research in most capitalist countries does little to advance our lifestyles. It mostly advances the scientists lifestyles. Most scientists are largely out for headlines for their next grant.

R+D in real commercial type companies does further our way of life.

Rubbish! You've actually managed to annoy me with this statement. A grand unified theory is necessary for a true understanding of our world and the advances in this field come from government fuded sources. From the papermate pen and odour eaters to advances in aviation safety, all are derived from government funded space research. In fact NASA alone has filed over 6300 patents in the US and even produces a jounal (Spinoff) that highlights the diffusion of these patents into everyday items. Quantum research has resulted in more efficient fuels, batteries even improvements in the laser technologies used by optical drives. Do I need to go on, I could ram this point home but a google search on the benefits of government research would do just as well. Or try NASA and the Institute Of Physics own websites.
As for commercial ventures, they also give us intensive farming techniques for pigs that have resulted in devastation for many of the US fish stocks and lets not forget philidimide. Never loose sight of the fact that companies serve only to increase cash flow for shareholders, this brings us benefits at times but it also serves to pack our food with chemical crap and make drugs for fictitious mental illness among other ills.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 07:05:09 PM »
God's domain (God.com) seems to belong to some Evangelical Christians.  Quantum mechanics is, at it's heart and soul, completely and totally raving mad.  It's absolute madness, if true, is a good argument for atheism...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 07:05:57 PM »
Quote from: Trev;581563
There's not much in terms of technology we use and take for granted these days that wasn't originally developed by or with funding provided by NASA.

LOL, you got that one in whilst I was still rant-typing. Beat me to it. As for the lost tribes, they only escaped to the centre of the earth in order to travel through the singularity present there and return home to Sirius.

Offline marcfrick2112

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 07:09:12 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;581557
The electron microscope only allows you to see what you are doing. The job itself was done with a "Tunneling Electron Micrograph".

Tripitaka, Touche!

Man, while reading this thread was watching the Richard Greene 'Adventures of Robin Hood', I found the combination rather amusing.... :)

At any rate, It'd be cool to check out a quantum computer... if they can ever get it to work.....
Hmm, I could think of a few codes I'd like to crack.... :evil:
---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T

Offline Fester

• Show only replies by Fester
    • http://www.rdmsnippets.com
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;581564
Rubbish! You've actually managed to annoy me with this statement. A grand unified theory is necessary for a true understanding of our world and the advances in this field come from government fuded sources.

Provided there is a grand unified and deep-pocketed tax payer base.

Sorry for that.

But really, I would imagine a researcher would be happy to do his/her work no matter who pays for it. Unifying the fund sources doesn't necessarily unify the work nor should it necessarily separate researchers into separate or partisan camps?

I don't have anything against NASA or patents that have been funded from government sources but I'm sure many good, useful inventions weren't funded this way.

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 07:45:25 PM »
As long as there is a ban on Microsoft making an OS for them otherwise they will be just 1% faster than an Intel i7 LOL

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
All this talk of Quantum computing is old hat. Long, long ago sometime way off in the far distant future quantum computing was surpassed by the hooking a really old and yellowing  A1200 up to some brownian motion liquid and with the aid of an old copy of DiskSalv, the Amiga once again reigns supreme.

If you add the new Time Travel hardware now available from you local 24 hour convenience store, priced at only £999,999,999.95 (OS 3.x & USB only...) you can even travel back in time and inform everyone about some totally useless facts on what the future holds for the Amiga & computing...

Uh oh, just got an error number 103... help I'm stuck in 2010 and can't get back to the future, anyone know how to fix this problem, could it be my black matter powered floppy is failing, or does anyone have an old DeLorean DMC-12 I can borrow for a millenia or two !!!

(PS: Bill Gates & Microsoft were closed down in the year 2195, when it was discovered that he was in fact an alien lifeform from another dimension, who had used a stolen Amiga to travel back in time to con the world with a shoddy OS system he had stolen from the Borg..) :crazy:

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 08:26:53 PM »
Quote from: Franko;581578

Uh oh, just got an error number 103...

Reverse the flow on the flux inhibitors and re-calibrate the Heisenberg compensator, then re-boot. If that fails you'll need to open up the ultinium inlets on the drive over a spatial rift (try Cardiff, Lowestoft or New Pitsligo).

Glad I could help and in case your wondering, I'm originally from Cestrus Omicron III.

Offline Franko

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 08:41:22 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;581579
Reverse the flow on the flux inhibitors and re-calibrate the Heisenberg compensator, then re-boot. If that fails you'll need to open up the ultinium inlets on the drive over a spatial rift (try Cardiff, Lowestoft or New Pitsligo).

Glad I could help and in case your wondering, I'm originally from Cestrus Omicron III.

Bugger... tried all that but no luck Im afraid, it just caused a temporal inversion loop in the space time continuum which let Mr Gates sneak back through and release the Windows phone that he stole from Apple.

Went to Cardiff once, but it was shut... :(

Oh well, guess I'll have to hang around in 2010 for a few more decades, until I can sort out this problem, now where my sonic screwdriver...

(PS: I hear it's nice on Cestrus Omicron III, this time of year...)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 09:05:36 PM »
some brownian motion liquid

I had one of those last night, after making a rather hot curry.
int p; // A

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 09:38:27 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;581564
Rubbish! You've actually managed to annoy me with this statement. A grand unified theory is necessary for a true understanding of our world and the advances in this field come from government fuded sources. From the papermate pen and odour eaters to advances in aviation safety, all are derived from government funded space research. In fact NASA alone has filed over 6300 patents in the US and even produces a jounal (Spinoff) that highlights the diffusion of these patents into everyday items. Quantum research has resulted in more efficient fuels, batteries even improvements in the laser technologies used by optical drives. Do I need to go on, I could ram this point home but a google search on the benefits of government research would do just as well. Or try NASA and the Institute Of Physics own websites.
As for commercial ventures, they also give us intensive farming techniques for pigs that have resulted in devastation for many of the US fish stocks and lets not forget philidimide. Never loose sight of the fact that companies serve only to increase cash flow for shareholders, this brings us benefits at times but it also serves to pack our food with chemical crap and make drugs for fictitious mental illness among other ills.

nice so you've given us one of the very few very bright spots in government funded research (nasa) and a couple of the failures of commercial research. In governement research you just have to convince the powers that be that something needs to be studied. It doesn't have to have a point, it doesn't even have to any real application. So researchers go around looking for something to research just to have a job. Moochers is what some people call them.
In commercial R+D it has to have a point, it has to have an application (a way to improve life in some way) You don't see commercial R+D firms studying how much methane cows fart out. Or if greenhouse warming is occuring for decades, with no effort or metod of making a change. No commercial firms study ways to make things better.

I guess what it really comes down to is knowledge verses action. NASA found ways to make planes safer and more efficient. But it isn't NASA that does anything with that knowledge. Its the aircraft companies. And they can't just take that knowledge and make an airplane, they have to do huge amounts of R+D just to use any good idea NASA comes up with.
Much of the federal R+D that you will see outside NASA etc. is pork. Dr. Whatsisname knows a senator and convinces said senator that studying frog anuses is important because they might be getting smaller due to global warming. Senator gets others to go along with Frog Anus studies in exchange for his vote on their bills (more pork) and voilla Dr. Whatsisname gets a $250,000 grant to look up frogs tailpipes.

That is how much federal research grants go. If that money actually went to NASA we would see much more real, important science going on. NASA's budget has been cut almost every single year for decades.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Franko

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 09:48:09 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;581589
I had one of those last night, after making a rather hot curry.

Vindaloo & brownian motion liquid... you cant beat it... :)

My Favorite Recipe To make the perfect Vindaloo... :)

Two Jars of Pataks Vindaloo Paste
One Large Onion
Fresh Chicken Breast
1 Large Green Pepper
1 Large Green Chili
1 Pair Asbestos Gloves.... :biglaugh:

(forget the instructions on the jar (two tablespoons) empty both jars in the pot and you've got the hottest Vindaloo you could ever want...) :cool:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 10:01:06 PM »
Two jars is just far too much salt. A tablespoon of the stuff and a can of chopped tomatoes is much better. For heat, add as much chopped fresh naga chilli peppers as you can handle, or if you don't have any, as many drops of Blair's Jersey Death sauce as you can tolerate ;)
int p; // A

Offline kolla

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 10:08:24 PM »
@KThunder
Scientific research is typically funded by governments, private organizations and commercial interests alike. Thank you for fitting a certain stereotype though :)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Franko

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 10:33:50 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;581610
Two jars is just far too much salt. A tablespoon of the stuff and a can of chopped tomatoes is much better. For heat, add as much chopped fresh naga chilli peppers as you can handle, or if you don't have any, as many drops of Blair's Jersey Death sauce as you can tolerate ;)

Nah, gotta be two jars or I can't taste it anymore, No one else I know can handle one of my curries, many have tried but all have failed... :)

On the subject of salt, in recent months the jar now say's 'contains 60% less salt', makes you wonder how much was in it to start with !!!

It's called traditional Scottish health food here... :roflmao:

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 27, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »
It's not really of any interest to the home user. I guess it will fine tech for supercomputers though. They'll change from taking up a room in silicon to taking up a room in cooling equipment, but have a lot more power.

I'm most excited about AI, you can have real thinking computer opponents in games. And of course a robot butler.
Go Go Gadget Signature!