Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OMG Commodore Invented WIndows 8 on the C64  (Read 4977 times)

Description:

Offline gertsyTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
OMG Commodore Invented WIndows 8 on the C64
« on: April 26, 2013, 02:10:56 PM »
I see it but I don't believe it.

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: OMG Commodore Invented WIndows 8 on the C64
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 03:35:01 AM »
Quote from: Megamig;733015
I just can't help it...

The next Windows Tablet will be based on the Koala Pad.

Everything old is new again.
There are no new ideas in the world, only new ways of making them.

A song and a quote.

I've just opened up my Microsoft Surface RT and the sound chip has the tiny letters SID written on it. I wonder what that means?

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:00:09 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;733145
I do have to admit, one thing that I read about Windows 8 that I thought was kinda cool is that programs can have Metro and desktop interfaces compiled into the same executable. With "dockable" tablets becoming popular, I could appreciate walking around using Metro and having my screen and running programs automatically flip into desktop mode when I got back to my desk. Something about that struck me as Amiga-like. In the UI Style Guide, Commodore encouraged developers to include Shell, Workbench/GUI, and ARexx interfaces in their programs, to allow users to work with whichever interface they felt most comfortable.

It was some time ago that I read about this feature for Windows 8, maybe even during the public beta. I don't know if it's still even true. It certainly doesn't seem to be widely promoted or encouraged.

Using a Win 8 touch screen device I groan now when I have to go back to the desktop. I used to curse "Metro" when I first upgraded my PC.  Mouse = Desktop. Touch = Modern UI. Having your settings backed up on windows live makes moving between devices a consistent bonus. It'd be sad if Microsoft dropped it for the unchangeable masses.
Dockable is so old hat. Bluetooth 3 or Wireless U. The way of the future. Add wireless charging and whammo.  There's a part of me that thinks if Jobs was still about the new iPad would have these capabilities.

PS: The ZX Spectrum app is fun.  Can't wait for the Amiga one.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:08:09 AM by gertsy »

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 06:13:31 AM »
Quote from: Argo;733146
Prior Art!!!

....The Start button could be so much better, I think if they made it context based. Only shortcuts to most used apps or/and user customizable. The OS would also be better off with a user select able tablet mode, desktop mode, and hybrid mode.   Not every one has a touch screen, especially now.

The recent apps start menu capability has been in place since Vista (2006).
The second I agree with. The mouse pointer in the corner "non touch' interface is frustrating at least when compared to swiping in from the borders.

But we're off subject.  

I'm trying to upgrade my breadbox C64 but my 1541 just swallowed my Win 8 DVD and wont eject it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:16:39 AM by gertsy »