Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raspberry PI  (Read 25594 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2012, 05:18:53 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682191
and John, what you're saying is we should force kids to learn assembly.  I agree.

Except, we'd have like 3 successful students out of 200.
I never said any such thing. I just said that people who bag on assembly language would do well to remember that ultimately every single toolchain and library for every single high-level language is only a tool to write assembler for people who can't or won't do it themselves.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2012, 05:21:04 PM »
Some of you may find this of interest (throws petrol on the fire):

http://elinux.org/RPi_Programming
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2012, 05:22:42 PM »
Who's calling who names now?  I called someone stupid, but mostly in jest.  I hope commodorejohn realized that.

John, I actually think kids should learn assembly and hexadecimal before they become rebellious jackoffs that get too fixated on Java to ever learn anything useful.   :)

Quote from: Tripitaka;682196
That included shipping! Granted the TFT was a local pick up.
Not bad.   But that's still like 130 USD, which could buy a pretty nice PC off craigslist...

Why so little faith in children?
Because they're learning.  This usually involves breaking stuff and causing problems because they don't know any better.

Quote from: TheBilgeRat;682197
Nobody was waving any CS penis around as fact/law - that was you. Mentioning that my CS department would be willing to lab fee a 35 dollar computer is hardly pointing out that I am some super geek whom all words should be obeyed. I did condense your drivel to that, because it is drivel. You aren't making any salient point, you are just attacking people personally, so I returned the sentiment.
It's drivel because you say so.  Not because it is.  I've backed my statements on the Pi up with information found on the Pi's site, and other sites.  

If you can't comprehend what I have said enough to make counterpoints, then maybe you should learn how to read and try again.  Dismissing everything as drivel/whraaaarharbarbarbaral (that picture is hilarious) that disagrees with what you say, means you suck at arguing/debating and should kindly leave the internet until you learn how to play.

and if you can't handle it because it's not written like some frikkin thesis, boo hoo, it's the internet, not the knowledge olympics.

Seriously, what is your problem?
Currently?  You! :D

That RPi link from Trip up there is interesting.  I wonder why they don't state more of that elsewhere to remove any doubt.  Looks like Wikipedia needs their **** updated.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:27:12 PM by Arkhan »
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682203
Not bad.   But that's still like 130 USD,

40.00 GBP = 63.4156 USD at current exchange rate

Because they're learning.

Err.... odd, I thought we never stopped learning.

Time for me to sod off for a few hours, I got stuff to paint.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:33:29 PM by Tripitaka »
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2012, 05:42:29 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682187
Anyone who doesn't want to use a composite output for a computer?  Ever try programming on a standard def tv?  Screw ergonomics, these kids will be blind by the age of 12.   HDMI (crisp visuals) or jank ass composite (blurrylolol!).  HMMMMM.  Tough choice.

The choice is obvious to those who are able to choose.

Parents are retarded.  So the answer is to give kids crippled machines?  Cool!

Crippled in what sense?

It will be like taking Timmy off his Ninja Turtles huffy complete with training wheels, slapping him on a Kawasaki Crotch Rocket, and watching him slam into a wall, full tilt.  Blood everywhere.  Teeth removed, bones broken.

Yes, you make a very VALID and INTERESTING point, idiot. :D

Schools can provide programming computers.  Parents who aren't stuck in the 1940s can provide real computers.

Whether you think it's ridiculous or not, the problem exists and isn't going to solve itself.

From Wikipedia: This board is intended to run operating systems based on the Linux kernel, including, but not exclusive to Linux[2] and to support the Python programming language,[11][12] BBC BASIC,[13] C[11] and Perl.[11]

So, no, I am not clueless.  Just reading the information I see.  The thing comes with Kids Ruby, Scratch, and BASIC , I think?

Oh, you are able to read information you see! A useless skill if you are not able to draw logical conclusions from it, though. It comes with a Fedora Linux distribution with the things you mentioned preinstalled. An Arch Linux ARM ditribution is soon to follow, if you are too hardcore for Fedora.

Can anyone confirm otherwise that this thing supports C++ and C#?  I sure doubt it supports C# in any good form.

It supports C++ via the GNU toolchain like any linux system. C# in "any good form?" How about a full language implementation? It's called Mono. You have no clue about Linux, but you sure know how to paint yourself into a corner.

This thing is far from being a fullblown linux box.   Linux based != Linux.  It's got some hacked up Linux based OS running off an SD card.  It ain't like you're going to be able to hit up the repo browser and grab tons of packages to install.

Again, you are wading through things you don't understand. Since when is Fedora a "hacked up" Linux based OS? There is no "true" linux OS; everything is Linux *based* as Linux is not an operating system in itself. Fedora is a full-blown Linux distribution in every valid sense of the word, though. It's customizable and open down to rewriting and recompiling the kernel if you wish.

Are you sure you aren't the clueless one?

Yes, I am pretty sure. I use both ARM and x86 based linux distributions every day, and since you are asking I might as well mention that I am a professional C programmer. I do know a thing or two about both Linux and programming.

If I wanted a kid to get excited about programming, I'd sit him down in front of a Linux machine with some Galaga clone in C, and show him how that works.

What stops anyone from doing this with a Raspberry Pi?

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2012, 05:47:42 PM »
Who's calling who names now?  I called someone stupid, but mostly in jest.  I hope commodorejohn realized that.

how was he supposed to realize that, exactly?  maybe throw a few more smileys at the end like Franko used to.

John, I actually think kids should learn assembly and hexadecimal before they become rebellious jackoffs that get too fixated on Java to ever learn anything useful.   :)

there ya go!  smilies make any asinine statement better!

Not bad.   But that's still like 130 USD, which could buy a pretty nice PC off craigslist...

You're absolutely right - those british kids should be on the cragslist buying used computers with more oomph and practicality.

It's drivel because you say so.  Not because it is.  I've backed my statements on the Pi up with information found on the Pi's site, and other sites.  

No, you haven't.  You have been ranting about how stupid the raspberry pi is and how stupid little british children are and berating your fellow board members as stupid.

If you can't comprehend what I have said enough to make counterpoints, then maybe you should learn how to read and try again.  Dismissing everything as drivel/whraaaarharbarbarbaral (that picture is hilarious) that disagrees with what you say, means you suck at arguing/debating and should kindly leave the internet until you learn how to play.

OK, moving on..  

and if you can't handle it because it's not written like some frikkin thesis, boo hoo, it's the internet, not the knowledge olympics.

Well, now a salient point, if stated flippantly.  It IS the knowledge olympics, actually.  when one decides to jump into a discussion about some topic, it behooves them to actually read up on the topic, considering that most of your statements about the Pi can be refuted by clicking here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

So, until you decide to actually educate yourself on what the Raspberri Pi is, instead of spreading false information about its cost and its capabilities, or until you actually PROVE what you are saying with actual links, facts, etc.. I am going to stick by my assertion that you are nothing but an idiot with no knowledge concerning the topic at hand.

UPDATE:
That RPi link from Trip up there is interesting. I wonder why they don't state more of that elsewhere to remove any doubt. Looks like Wikipedia needs their **** updated.

You mean besides the wiki dedicated to Raspberry Pi coding?  I am guessing that is because they assume you know how to operate a keyboard and a search engine.  Perhaps they assume too much.

When we want to know all about crappy PC Engine ports or god awful homebrew games like Atlantean, we'll be the first in line to hear what you have to say.  Until then, go finish your thesis, drink a coffee, and pound sand.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:10:13 PM by TheBilgeRat »

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2012, 06:09:48 PM »
Trying to teach programming to kids is a waste of time. The geek kids don't need incompetent teachers to show them the ropes and the non geek kids don't give a damn and won't get anything out of it any way. The raspberry pi doesn't change anything, and kids aren't hurting for computers anyway, they're surrounded by them.

Programming itself isn't all that particularly useful of a skill for the vast majority of people and society isn't suffering from a lack of computer programmers. The raspberry pi is a cool toy for geeks but I think it's usefulness in an educational setting for k-12 is massively overblown.

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2012, 06:20:44 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;682204
40.00 GBP = 63.4156 USD at current exchange rate
I thought you said 80GBP, lol.  Are you sure you said 40?  50$ can get a decent computer still, I bet!  

Crippled in what sense?
I dunno, it's a tiny little goonbox with crapass specs.  That's crippled in my book.  

Yes, you make a very VALID and INTERESTING point, idiot.
Whoaaa no name calling dude, people will get angry! Easy.  There are crybabies afoot.

Whether you think it's ridiculous or not, the problem exists and isn't going to solve itself.
Right.  However, I think there are better solutions.  Ignorant parents suck.  Especially since most parents suck at computers and screw them up (and then blame the kid who barely uses it)

It supports C++ via the GNU toolchain like any linux system. C# in "any good form?" How about a full language implementation? It's called Mono. You have no clue about Linux, but you sure know how to paint yourself into a corner.
Please, lets drop the condescending HURHUR you dunno nothin' crap.  It's getting none of us anywhere.

I use linux daily (Zenwalk and Fedora).  I've even got a frigging Minix install still.  Mono blows.  The good form of C# is all the M$ related nonsense.

Plus this *is* all Linux stuff.  Linux is not really user friendly, especially to kids who generally have short attention spans and are impatient.

Again, you are wading through things you don't understand. Since when is Fedora a "hacked up" Linux based OS? There is no "true" linux OS; everything is Linux *based* as Linux is not an operating system in itself. Fedora is a full-blown Linux distribution in every valid sense of the word, though. It's customizable and open down to rewriting and recompiling the kernel if you wish.
I was under the impression these things came with goofy little dumbed down Linux OS's that aren't exactly full of all the features you'd want, out of box. I don't expect a little kid to be savvy enough to start adding things he needs/wants to one of these.  Nor do I expect most staff at a school.   I drew this conclusion from reading the wikipedia entry AND the RPi wiki.  It sounds like they've got Linux going on it, but it isn't full-blown.  As expected from some crap running off an SD card.

But, what you are saying then is, these can run the same full blown Fedora install that I have installed right here?  With all the fixins?  

and still, it's a fairly low powered machine.  I sure hope the thing is snappy.  I remember putting Fedora on a 1ghz 256mb machine, and even with XFCE, the thing was pretty damn sluggish.

Everyone is approaching this from a seasoned developer standpoint.  Try putting yourself in a clueless little kids shoes.  These aren't the PROGRAMMING YOUR COMPUTER IN BASIC days where a happy little computer cartoon on the cover tells you all about how to PEEK and POKE and make pacman in a weekend.

This is a cluster****.  It's modern computing.  

Yes, I am pretty sure. I use both ARM and x86 based linux distributions every day, and since you are asking I might as well mention that I am a professional C programmer. I do know a thing or two about both Linux and programming.
Me too.  I also program in asm.  and C++ and C# (though C# is pretty annoying.)  

Now, onto Mr. Tons of Fun.

Quote from: TheBilgeRat;682207
how was he supposed to realize that, exactly? maybe throw a few more smileys at the end like Franko used to.
I miss franko.  He understands how2forum.

there ya go! smilies make any asinine statement better!
What's wrong with teaching kids assembly and hex?  It doesn't seem that farfetched.  If they can count in base 10, they can count in base 16.  Christ, the kids are stupid, but they aren't that stupid!

You're absolutely right - those british kids should be on the cragslist buying used computers with more oomph and practicality.
Yeah they should be buying these off the internet with their parents bank information! ;3   Parents can go nab used computers for their kids and stop holding them back from the modern world.  We don't need some company to develop some little machine to open parents up to the idea of letting little Timmy use the computer.  

Who's to say parents will even bite at this?  Will it be up to the schools to buy the stuff ?  If so, why don't THEY just get real computers too.

No, you haven't. You have been ranting about how stupid the raspberry pi is and how stupid little british children are and berating your fellow board members as stupid.
Who said anything about little british kids?  All little kids are stupid.  They're kids.  It's how it works. Only a kid is stupid enough to put a fork in a wall outlet or to put a pet turtle in his mouth and choke and die.

So, until you decide to actually educate yourself on what the Raspberri Pi is, instead of spreading false information about its cost and its capabilities, or until you actually PROVE what you are saying with actual links, facts, etc.. I am going to stick by my assertion that you are nothing but an idiot with no knowledge concerning the topic at hand.
I'll admit 90% of this has been bored trolling and half cocked googling.  It's friday, sucka.  Though, I did paste what I grabbed off Wikipedia, but you condensed it down to whaargarbl because you're boring.

When we want to know all about crappy PC Engine ports or god awful homebrew games like Atlantean, we'll be the first in line to hear what you have to say.
Whoaaa now.  That was simply uncalled for.  I prefer you call them ****ty, and ****ing awful.  Don't bring god into this. He didn't do anything to you.  Or maybe he did. I don't know.  

Besides, people like my games. Play them before you act like a polesmoker.

Or, get better insults.

However, I am touched that you at least clicked my link and cared enough to research your prey.  =3 *hug*

Until then, go finish your thesis, drink a coffee, and pound sand.
Getting close, coffee sucks, and I prefer pounding my wang. Or your mom.

Quote from: koaftder;682208
Trying to teach programming to kids is a waste of  time. The geek kids don't need incompetent teachers to show them the  ropes and the non geek kids don't give a damn and won't get anything out  of it any way. The raspberry pi doesn't change anything, and kids  aren't hurting for computers anyway, they're surrounded by them.
True.  Most K-12 teachers don't know **** about computers or programming.

Programming itself isn't all that particularly useful of a skill for the  vast majority of people and society isn't suffering from a lack of  computer programmers. The raspberry pi is a cool toy for geeks but I  think it's usefulness in an educational setting for k-12 is massively  overblown.

I do notice that most people getting erect over this are probably planning to keep the thing to play with themselves.  While playing with themselves maybe.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:23:30 PM by Arkhan »

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2012, 06:21:58 PM »
Trying to teach programming to kids is a waste of time. The geek kids don't need incompetent teachers to show them the ropes and the non geek kids don't give a damn and won't get anything out of it any way. The raspberry pi doesn't change anything, and kids aren't hurting for computers anyway, they're surrounded by them.

Programming itself isn't all that particularly useful of a skill for the vast majority of people and society isn't suffering from a lack of computer programmers. The raspberry pi is a cool toy for geeks but I think it's usefulness in an educational setting for k-12 is massively overblown.

US statistics on lowest unemployment rates by degree/field:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-57324669/25-college-majors-with-lowest-unemployment-rates/

CS is 3.5%.  Lots of demand out there for programmers, especially good ones.  At least in the US.  Not everything is being outsourced.

Although the take home from the above article is that geophysics and astrophysics are the fields to get into.

You are possibly right about the educational usefulness in a K-12 setting.

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682210
tl/dr

You're still an idiot.

Also, tell my mom hi, and I'm not calling you dad no matter what she says.

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;682211
You are possibly right about the educational usefulness in a K-12 setting.

My highschool dropped C++ in favor of VB6 for classes because they found that all the students couldn't comprehend anything and would rather draw forms and buttons and click things to make happy faces appear.

Older people I know had similar things happen.  Some schools drop programming altogether.  

My highschool is rated one of the top ones in the area, so, that aint a good sign

Quote from: TheBilgeRat;682212
You're still an idiot.

Also, tell my mom hi, and I'm not calling you dad no matter what she says.

If you can't be bothered to read anything, don't bother replying.  You flail  your penis around pissing and moaning about not providing facts or  whatever it is you're doing, whining about berating people, all the  while flinging insults, but this is the second time now that you've been  all tl;dr.

learn how to internet.  What the hell are they putting in the water in Dundee?

You're the worst troll target ever.  The troll-targets even troll you.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:29:05 PM by Arkhan »

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2012, 06:27:14 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682210
Please, lets drop the condescending HURHUR you dunno nothin' crap.  It's getting none of us anywhere. .

:roflmao:  
Man, that was hysterical!!

Thanx for that!!

Irony can be so ironic sometimes..  :)

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
Quote from: desiv;682214
:roflmao:  
Man, that was hysterical!!

Thanx for that!!

Irony can be so ironic sometimes..  :)

desiv

Welcome to the party!

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2012, 06:32:26 PM »
aw look the Oregon Trail brigade is playing together! ;3

I wonder how long it will take for Bulgey to realize I've been , uh how is it the Brits put it?

taking the piss?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:33:58 PM by Arkhan »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2012, 06:33:28 PM »

Bull. Programming is a great skill to have whether or not you use it on a daily basis or in a professional context; it's an excellent key to a real understanding of computers and how they work, and the more ubiquitous computers become in every aspect of life, the more useful that understanding will be.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #104 from previous page: March 02, 2012, 06:33:34 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682213
My highschool dropped C++ in favor of VB6 for classes because they found that all the students couldn't comprehend anything and would rather draw forms and buttons and click things to make happy faces appear.

Older people I know had similar things happen.  Some schools drop programming altogether.  

My highschool is rated one of the top ones in the area, so, that aint a good sign

Well, that is too bad...whoa!:

If you can't be bothered to read anything, don't bother replying.  You flail  your penis around pissing and moaning about not providing facts or  whatever it is you're doing, whining about berating people, all the  while flinging insults, but this is the second time now that you've been  all tl;dr.

learn how to internet.  What the hell are they putting in the water in Dundee?

You're the worst troll target ever.  The troll-targets even troll you.

You are obsessed with penis!  And just when I thought you had calmed down and taken your ritalin...