Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cannot resolve host name  (Read 4157 times)

Description:

Offline olsen

Re: Cannot resolve host name
« on: November 15, 2020, 04:51:08 PM »

My resolv.conf file:

domain 192.168.1.1
nameserver 192.168.1.1
search hsd1.ma.comcast.net

Sorry, I'm just reading this thread right now: this "resolv.conf" file has issues :(

The "domain" option should be a domain name, such as "example.com" (which is just an example) and not an IP address. You use the "domain example.com" if your computer is part of a local network and you don't want to add "example.com" to every host name in the same network whenever you type it. Instead of, for example, "router.example.com" you then just enter "router" and the name resolution will automatically add "example.com" to it. If you have "192.168.1.1" in there, then the name lookup translates it into "router.192.168.1.1" which is not a valid domain name. You don't necessarily need to add a "domain" option to the "resolv.conf" file.

The "search" option is a more powerful replacement for the "domain" option. Where the "domain" option can take care of just one single local domain, the "search" option allows you to provide multiple domains to search for. As with the "domain" option, you don't necessarily need this. If you enter "ping example", then the name lookup will translate this into "ping example.hsd1.ma.comcast.net", which is not useful.

As far as I can tell, you only need to have a single "nameserver" option in your "resolv.conf" file, and nothing else.

If I remember correctly, INet-225 as a product is about as old as AmiTCP V4. The features of both TCP/IP stacks should be similar, drawing upon technology of the same age (1990-1992).

Some things have changed greatly since these TCP/IP stacks were released, and how DNS server responses look like is one of them.

I suspect that changing the INet-225 "resolv.conf" file may not have much of an impact on your name resolution issues. If I remember correctly, the AmiTCP V4 and INet-225 TCP/IP stack defaults restrict IP datagram sizes to the small end (576 bytes?), which was how things were in the early 1990'ies. This used to be sufficient for DNS lookups back then, but today's DNS zones tend to feature many more records and those records can be much longer than they used to be (e.g. signature information for DKIM, multiple IPv4 and IPv6 addresses corresponding to the same name).

This means that your name resolution could fail because the name resolution feature in your Amiga TCP/IP stack does not expect the DNS lookup response to be so large. The limitations of the DNS lookup library buffer sizes as these existed in the early 1990'ies may play a part here, too.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 05:07:52 PM by olsen »