Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga vs PC  (Read 33454 times)

Description:

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
Re: Amiga vs PC
« Reply #314 from previous page: August 26, 2010, 05:49:11 PM »
Quote from: Golem!dk;576375
That's some neat quoting...

O_O  you're right.

fixed.   No idea what happened there lol
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #315 on: August 26, 2010, 07:11:26 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;576374
yourself?
I don't always take myself too seriously ;)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #316 on: August 26, 2010, 09:58:49 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;576386
I don't always take myself too seriously ;)

Why would anyone posting to this thread take themselves too seriously?

Those who insist on defending the idea that original Amigas are a potential alternative to modern computers:

The world REALLY is flat!

We never went to the moon.

Elvis did not die on the throne.

Government intelligence is NOT an oxymoron.

AppleII forever!

Trust me.:hammer:
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Thorham

« Reply #317 on: August 31, 2010, 07:38:03 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;576405
Those who insist on defending the idea that original Amigas are a potential alternative to modern computers:
They can be, but it depends on what you do with them. Some people happily only use classic hardware, and nothing else. I know a guy who hates peecees, and he won't get one, so he sticks with his A1200+'030. He has to use peecees at work, and thinks that is enough peecee use for him :) Somewhere I can't really blame him, and the only thing I'd miss would be Opera and some old peecee games (I have an old 667 Mhz Pentium 3 here), such as Diablo 2 LOD, Warcraft 2, Starcraft Broodwar, and some others.

Side note: I see classic Amigas as modern machines, new peecees are simply much faster, but that's all they are, faster. Compare 70ties and earlier computing to the 80ties/90ties and later, and you'll get a good idea of why I think this ;)
Quote from: Iggy;576405
Why would anyone posting to this thread take themselves too seriously?
:lol:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #318 on: August 31, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »
Gawd... Is this thread still running... :lol:

Think I'll revive my "Wish Jim Was Still Here.." thread... :roflmao:

Offline Iggy

« Reply #319 on: August 31, 2010, 08:20:01 PM »
I'm baffled to see this thread still has life myself.

I haven't seen anyone posting that they are completely willing to give up newer computers to stick solely with Amigas.

The closest I come to that is using MorphOS and that's not a fair comparison as a MorphOS based computer is not an Amiga.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #320 on: August 31, 2010, 09:38:56 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;576941
Side note: I see classic Amigas as modern machines, new peecees are simply much faster, but that's all they are, faster.

I could add a few things to the list other than "faster". How about

cheaper
better supported
better modularity
more compatible (consumer devices, network protocols etc)
more operating system choice
more application software choice

These are all tangible benefits for most users. Let's face it, the Amiga as a hardware platform is not modern. It was modern in mid 80's, but every hardware advantage it had has been either surpassed by it's rivals or rendered redundant in some other way (planar pixels were great for scrolling but nobody uses them  now). Whatever could not be beaten by elegance has certainly been bested by orders of magnitude increases in performance applied to whatever less elegant solution was used instead.

Try running AROS, amithlon or even just UAE on a current "peecee" and tell me you don't find any advantages at all.
int p; // A

Offline marcfrick2112

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
« Reply #321 on: August 31, 2010, 10:10:33 PM »
Well, For me, PC's always will have some place. My miggies aren't set up to burn DVD's or do custom VCD's... and frankly, web surfing on my A1200T is painful with most sites. Gawd, I need a graphics card....

You know, there are some people that are perfectly satisfied with the same old hardware they've always used.... Not sure if the guy's around anymore, but just a few years ago, I saw/read something about a man in his 60's needing a computer only to help run his home business, something fairly cheap, that works.... His system: C-64, 2  1541 drives, C= printer and monitor.... the retail software he got at a resale shop or some such place..... I can imagine he could have had a full C-64 system for ~ $45.00. I got nearly 2 full C-128 systems for that much some years back.......

(We need a 'wistful' or 'nostalgic' smilie .... ;)  )
---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T

Offline Franko

« Reply #322 on: August 31, 2010, 10:11:29 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;576945
I'm baffled to see this thread still has life myself.

I haven't seen anyone posting that they are completely willing to give up newer computers to stick solely with Amigas.

The closest I come to that is using MorphOS and that's not a fair comparison as a MorphOS based computer is not an Amiga.

Still not sure why it's going myself... :)

Ok heres a post about someone not willing to give up their Amigas in order to use newer machines... :)

Me... :) For the past 20 odd years I've only ever used Amigas up until about 2 months ago, when purchased this ruddy iMac I'm typing on here on the spur of the moment, so far the only use I've found for it is accessing the internet.

I am just about to purchase a new PC for the first time ever and thanks to all the folk here who advised & educated me on what I should buy. :)

But I know myself and can honestly say it will never replace the enjoyment that I get from using my A1200s. In fact when my internet subscription runs out I will also be going back to never using the internet, it's just not for me I reckon... :)

Offline Thorham

« Reply #323 on: August 31, 2010, 10:40:55 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;576958
These are all tangible benefits for most users. Let's face it, the Amiga as a hardware platform is not modern.
What is it then? An antique? No, a Cray 1 is antique, or all the other machines that came before it. In the 80ties computing changed. Nice and simple machines that you plug in and can use. That is modern is to me. In this sense new computers are just more of the same and nothing else.

The modern era of computing didn't start a few years ago, but a few decades. Don't confuse power and extended features with modernity, it's about the essence.

A good example is modern medicine. It's not a couple of years old, but started a relatively long time ago. Sure we have more advanced techniques today, but medicine 50 years ago was already modern, and it could be argued that it was decades before.

It's easy to call something not modern because it doesn't perform as well as machines of today ;)
Quote from: Karlos;576958
Try running AROS, amithlon or even just UAE on a current "peecee" and tell me you don't find any advantages at all.
Yeah, it will be faster. If I want speed, then I'll just do it on my peecee. To me it's about using an Amiga, and if I find something it won't do fast enough (or badly because of crappy software), then I'll use something else. Speed on my Amiga isn't all important too me, and my Blizzard '030 is fine (wouldn't use an '060 much, for example).

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #324 on: August 31, 2010, 11:10:56 PM »
Would that be the same Cray 1 that in 1975 ran at over 10x the clockspeed of your first Amiga and supported SIMD/vector execution?

Let's face it, those are techniques we still use today, but the Amiga never did (well, unless you count the altivec unit in OS4/MOS machines or SSE in AROS boxes).
int p; // A

Offline Iggy

« Reply #325 on: September 01, 2010, 12:33:12 AM »
Franko!
You have got to retain internet service! You've set off such a brilliant sh*t storm.
It's been damned interesting interacting with you.
Besides, after viewing the internet and the useful information you can dig up on it, do you want to give it up?

Offline Franko

« Reply #326 on: September 01, 2010, 12:50:48 AM »
Would that be the same Cray 1 that in 1975 ran at over 10x the clockspeed of your first Amiga and supported SIMD/vector execution?

Let's face it, those are techniques we still use today, but the Amiga never did (well, unless you count the altivec unit in OS4/MOS machines or SSE in AROS boxes).

Surprised at you Karlos coming out with a crazy statement like that, I mean comparing a Cray 1 to the Amiga...

Forget about the development costs etc, and just compare the cost to the end user a couple of hundred quid Vs several million quid ($7.9 million to be exact & that didn't include any software) for only 10x the clockspeed, guess who wins that one.

Thoram is quite right in what he says, it's nothing to do with how modern something is, it's all about the individual and the enjoyment that they get out of using the technology they choose to use.

I mean were not talking about using a computer here to run your business were talking home computing for enjoyment & entertainment, a principle which the Amiga created & founded upon, whereas the PC or microcomputer to give it it's proper name came a background of academic institutions and R&D labs, and was then adopted mainly for use in the business environment.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #327 on: September 01, 2010, 04:08:00 AM »
It appears that Homecraft Furniture AKA Commodore USA, are in negotiations for a license to the Amiga name, so you won't have to choose between PC and Amiga, you'll be able to buy an Amiga PC!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Thorham

« Reply #328 on: September 01, 2010, 06:29:57 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;576973
Yes, that one. Cost million of dollars, needed a room to operate, had a power consumption of 15000 Watts (or something similar), no ide hard disks, and probably some I didn't mention. That's not very modern.

An A1200 with a 50 Mhz '030 isn't quite as fast (it wouldn't be even at the same clock speed), but it's cheap, easy to operate, doesn't use much power, and if it's Ide, it'll run it (with drivers) and of course it doesn't need a room to operate and has a nice (although simple) multitasking GUI OS. No contest really.

This is exactly what I mean with computing in the 70ties and before VS the 80ties and after. The Cray 1 is probably still more powerful than the fastest 680x0 based Amiga, but I wouldn't want one even if you paid me, because they're not easy to use, while an Amiga is easy, just like peecees.

In terms of cars it would be simple: A horse and carriage is old fashioned, while high end sports cars from the 60ties aren't, they're simply outperformed by todays best sports cars. That's what I mean by modern.

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #329 on: September 01, 2010, 06:42:09 AM »
Wow the never ending thread LOL.  We still trying to debate this? Let me finalise it for everyone  Some people love Windows, some love Mac OS, some love Linux and some love Amiga OS.  There are even those who prob still swear by DOS, BIOS MorphOS and so on and so on.  I love my Amiga, I really like my Windows 7 computers and don't care much for Mac or Apple,...but that is me and I'm sure we can argue forever on this so everyone has the computer(s) they love.  Now new thread?