Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga vs PC  (Read 33102 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga vs PC
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 04:11:28 PM »
And the award for most quotes posted in a post, goes to... :D

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 07:26:04 PM »
the_leander... FOR GAWDS SAKE, please stop quoting quote upon quote and then only answering with one or two word reply's... :)

Good job your not having to type all this on paper or you'd have used up a rain forest by now... :biglaugh:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 07:45:55 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;574666
No.

Breaking up a post is realistically the only way to clarify what specifically you're replying to

Is it

whilst trimming out the bits you're not responding to is best practice.

A matter of opinion

The other alternative is to manually paste in bits with quotation marks

must be another way, surely

which whilst would probably suffice, isn't as clear as the system offered by this forum or top posting.

maybe

If you don't like this style of posting,

I don't

I suggest you take it up on Usenet,

wrong suggestion

where you are sure to find a warm reception to the idea of top posting especially :p

What's 'top posting' !!! :D

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 08:16:21 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;574670
Now see,  if you'd followed my suggestion, you'd have your answer. Failing that JFGI.

First of all, you might have told me what JFGI stands for (had to google it to find out) :)

Once I found out what that meant I then googled Top Posting and the answer was...

Definitions of Top posting on the Web:

When a message is replied to in e-mail, Internet forums, or Usenet, the original can often be included, or "quoted", in a variety of different posting styles.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:Top+posting&sa=X&ei=UZdlTOG-MsfQ4wbu6YzLCg&ved=0CBcQkAE

So by this definition, then using all those quotes makes you a Top Poster... :)

Glad that's cleared up now... :biglaugh:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 05:01:44 AM »
It's became quite apparent from this thread, that a lot of the folk posting in it are obviously too young to understand or so lost in their own little world of trying to convince themselves that, they are right and everybody else is wrong or are even able to comprehend just what the true meaning and whole experience using a home computer should really mean.

It's nothing to do with quoting the best specs you can google, or trying to make yourself look smart and clever by saying X chip can do this and Y board can do that or you'd need a quadzillion transistors running at X amount of Mhz to make this do that.

If that's your idea of fun and enjoyment from using a home computer, then my friend sadly you haven't even lived.

If you care to read my blog you will find my last word on this subject, its not a putdown of anyones opinions or choice, it's merely an observation and an opinion on what I feel about something that a whole generation of computer users has missed out on.

My Blog- Amiga Vs PC... A Final Thought
http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?b=203

Cheers :drink:

Franko

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 04:41:33 PM »
Quote from: persia;574973
Today everyone has a computer in their home, kids have them in school.  Libraries have become computer stations that also have books.  It's a different world.  People don't tinker anymore, in fact on iPhones, iPads, iPods and to a lesser extent Android devices, they aren't allowed to.

Don't know why some people live under the delusion that everyone has a computer in their home, or use a mobile phone etc, etc...

Perhaps it's the environment or social group in which they live and obviously never venture outside of that makes them believe this myth, afraid thats something I can't answer.

What I can answer with 100% certainty is that not everyone has a computer in their home, not everyone uses a mobile phone, etc. How can I say this, simple, because of personal experience. I know more people who have no computer in their home than do. Whether its through choice or financial reasons. I know people who don't own or use a mobile, people who don't even have any form of mp3 player.

As for tinkering there are still many folk who tinker with things, be it computers, TVs, old VHS recorders, the list could go on and on.

Point is, if you are under the illusion that everyone has the above mentioned items in their home then perhaps it's time to leave your keyboard, switch off your computer and venture outside into the real world and experience a bit more about life and people and even try a bit of tinkering.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=868

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 05:51:18 AM »
Quote from: Arkhan;575069
Yes.  :afro:

I am in one of those moods this week.

See I knew he was a good person really,:)

Just his sense of humor can be a little misunderstood, like mine :D

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 05:56:37 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;575129
Nostalgia. It brings back memories of simpler times.

The Amiga was very efficient at what it did, but this goes in waves.
Everything started custom. Then there became general purpose CPU's that were fast enough, mass market means cheaper. While the CPU manufacturers get on with the next generation, you can make some custom hardware that outperforms it. This has happened in the PC market as well, early 3d cards that once were highly prized can now be beaten by software rendering.

We're so many CPU generations down the line that you can emulate the Amiga on some very cheap hardware. At that point you can't really claim any superiority.

The OS hasn't aged particularly well either, while there were good concepts there are too many drawbacks to outweigh the positives.

It was good for it's time. I still have my a500, though it's had two replacement motherboards since then, but I'm back on a rev 5 board now so it is original.

While I disagree about your comments on the Amigas OS and the point that you can emulate the Amiga on modern hardware, I can only say that for me, my various Amiga set ups can perform all the computing needs that I have (as I have stated elsewhere). I don't think anyone could ever convince me to buy a new PC or Mac.

The only non Amiga computer that I own was purchased about two months ago, an old iMacG4, which I am using to see what the internet is all about, but very soon thank to various good folk on Amiga.org, I shall be able to use my Amiga to perform the tasks I require on the internet and will be able to say goodbye this iMac and use the HD & DVD burner from it on one of my old miggies.

Each to their own I suppose, but the main thing to me is no matter type of computer you use the main purpose of it should be fun & enjoyment. :)

Cheers :drink:

Franko

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 11:35:47 PM »
@ B00tDisk
Now I see the same counterarguments being offered by the remaining Amiga users. "You don't need this, that or the other". Sheesh. Sad, really.

You imply by you own words that we remaining Amiga users are sad, so therefore you don't class yourself as an Amiga user, so why on earth are you blurting out such trash on an Amiga forum.

@Thorham
Anyway, I'll keep using this wonderful machine until I can't get any second hand ones anymore (that will be a very sad day indeed), and use my peecee for surfing (Amiga browser suck donkey balls) and a few other things, because Amigas (real Amigas, not those PPC+peecee parts things) have a coolness factor that the peecee will never beat.

You've got that right...

@Warpdesign
I guess it's easier to say "we don't need it" than "you're right, it would be great, but we don't have it now, that's too bad". Seems like some people still live in 1989, thinking the Amiga is still cutting edge in a lot of areas... Problem is it's 2010, and it's lagging in pretty much every areas instead.

What happened in 1989 that made that year so special to live in, if I was thinking that the Amiga was still cutting edge, then I would also be thinking that you were almost intelligent.

@Karlos
In some ways, I wonder what might have happened if they'd succeeded. We're quick to assume it would have been a good thing but perhaps we might not have liked the direction it may have taken.

In the process of becoming more and more obsolescent, I actually find it quite interesting to see just what can still be done with it though.

I still find it much more fun writing code for AmigaOS and m68K than I do for modern kit. The only thing that's really piqued my interest on the latter is GPU stuff.

At least you seem able to understand and appreciate why there are still some who are quite happy to use their Amigas.

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »
Gawd... Is this thread still running... :lol:

Think I'll revive my "Wish Jim Was Still Here.." thread... :roflmao:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 10:11:29 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;576945
I'm baffled to see this thread still has life myself.

I haven't seen anyone posting that they are completely willing to give up newer computers to stick solely with Amigas.

The closest I come to that is using MorphOS and that's not a fair comparison as a MorphOS based computer is not an Amiga.

Still not sure why it's going myself... :)

Ok heres a post about someone not willing to give up their Amigas in order to use newer machines... :)

Me... :) For the past 20 odd years I've only ever used Amigas up until about 2 months ago, when purchased this ruddy iMac I'm typing on here on the spur of the moment, so far the only use I've found for it is accessing the internet.

I am just about to purchase a new PC for the first time ever and thanks to all the folk here who advised & educated me on what I should buy. :)

But I know myself and can honestly say it will never replace the enjoyment that I get from using my A1200s. In fact when my internet subscription runs out I will also be going back to never using the internet, it's just not for me I reckon... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 12:50:48 AM »
Would that be the same Cray 1 that in 1975 ran at over 10x the clockspeed of your first Amiga and supported SIMD/vector execution?

Let's face it, those are techniques we still use today, but the Amiga never did (well, unless you count the altivec unit in OS4/MOS machines or SSE in AROS boxes).

Surprised at you Karlos coming out with a crazy statement like that, I mean comparing a Cray 1 to the Amiga...

Forget about the development costs etc, and just compare the cost to the end user a couple of hundred quid Vs several million quid ($7.9 million to be exact & that didn't include any software) for only 10x the clockspeed, guess who wins that one.

Thoram is quite right in what he says, it's nothing to do with how modern something is, it's all about the individual and the enjoyment that they get out of using the technology they choose to use.

I mean were not talking about using a computer here to run your business were talking home computing for enjoyment & entertainment, a principle which the Amiga created & founded upon, whereas the PC or microcomputer to give it it's proper name came a background of academic institutions and R&D labs, and was then adopted mainly for use in the business environment.

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 07:14:27 AM »
Quote from: amigakid;577013
Wow the never ending thread LOL.  We still trying to debate this? Let me finalise it for everyone  Some people love Windows, some love Mac OS, some love Linux and some love Amiga OS.  There are even those who prob still swear by DOS, BIOS MorphOS and so on and so on.  I love my Amiga, I really like my Windows 7 computers and don't care much for Mac or Apple,...but that is me and I'm sure we can argue forever on this so everyone has the computer(s) they love.  Now new thread?

Okay what about "PC vs Amiga" for a change... :roflmao:

It's a bit like religion, as long as their are people who either believe or disbelieve, they'll always be willing to share their viewpoint on it, reckon this is a thread that that'll keep on cropping up whenever someone new finds it and wants to have their say. :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;577104
You're saying NASA or some other engineering place should just do all the mathematics with a TI calculator?

Hi Arkhan, good to see your back on form again... ;)

The preferred choice of calculators at NASA seems to be HP & not TI ones... :)

http://hpinspace.wordpress.com/category/hp-35s/

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #28 from previous page: September 01, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »
Originally Posted by Iggy
@Franko

Franko!
You have got to retain internet service! You've set off such a brilliant sh*t storm.
It's been damned interesting interacting with you.
Besides, after viewing the internet and the useful information you can dig up on it, do you want to give it up?

Glad to know at least someone gets my sense of humor... (Iggy have you nicked my happy pills...) :lol:

You'll be glad to know I'll be around for at least another 10 months (others may not be so glad !!!), being a stereotypical Scotsman I have to get my moneys worth, I mean after all it cost me 30 quid for a years 20Mb unlimited Broadband from SKY, one of my best haggles ever I reckon... :D

Think I should start a new Thread & Poll, something along these lines

Franko... Should he stay or should he go now...
Or
Franko... Amusing or Annoying...
Or
Franko... Pain In the Ass or A Wee Touch O Class

Or maybe a poll on a poll about what to call my poll... :biglaugh:

(Reckon I've asked for it now... oh well it's no skin of my nose... you should see the size of the ruddy thing...) :)

Now where did I leave me medication... :roflmao: