Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Selling the entire amiga horde, step right up...  (Read 4911 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Selling the entire amiga horde, step right up...
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 07:08:28 PM »
@ Franko

Its a reference to the fact that Pennsylvania and Kentucky both contain part of the Appalachian Mountain range and that some of the inhabitants resemble extras from the movie Deliverance.

@ TheGoose

I think he mentioned a 1.5 or better G4 with a registered copy of MorphOS or a decent AROS system.
Frankly, I think he'd profit better by selling the Commodore hardware and buying the replacements directly.

I have no idea why no one has snatched this offer up. It's a good one.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;640705
@ Franko

Its a reference to the fact that Pennsylvania and Kentucky both contain part of the Appalachian Mountain range and that some of the inhabitants resemble extras from the movie Deliverance.

Ahh... Deliverance... :)

One of the best movies ever made and "Dueling Banjos" has to be one of the best tunes ever... :)

So is this really Smerf in this movie (the hat's do kinda look like pancakes right enough...) :)

[youtube]oAyOsNXcbgM[/youtube]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:51:34 PM by Franko »

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 07:51:04 PM »

:roflmao:

@ TheGoose

I think he mentioned a 1.5 or better G4 with a registered copy of MorphOS or a decent AROS system. Frankly, I think he'd profit better by selling the Commodore hardware and buying the replacements directly.

I have no idea why no one has snatched this offer up. It's a good one.

Everyone's sell stuff! Guess change is in the air.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Bigbronc

• Show only replies by Bigbronc
    • http://www.AnyNameAnyState.com
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »
I am in Maryland just south of this great state of Pennsyvania, I see someone in Deleware, I know of another Amiga person in Maryland, we have enough to start a user group, so when is the next meeting? :afro:
:python:

Offline Iggy

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 08:59:56 PM »
Quote from: Bigbronc;640713
I am in Maryland just south of this great state of Pennsyvania, I see someone in Deleware, I know of another Amiga person in Maryland, we have enough to start a user group, so when is the next meeting? :afro:

Ha! Not too far off. I used to drive to PA to attend PAC meetings. Then a small group of us (about 12) would break off and head to another location to have a meeting covering 6809 and 68K OS9.
So we DO almost have enough for a users group (or a convention).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 09:47:46 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;640670

I may just box it all up and keep it.

That would be the best approach. However, I am only about an hour and a half away, and the big black A500 sounds tempting. Of course, I'd have to clean out my car first, including the Mickey Mouse LCD monitor (no kidding) on top of stuff in the back seat that I am planning to use with my own AROS setup. The case I have is even better :-))

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 09:55:32 PM »
Quote from: Bigbronc;640713
I am in Maryland just south of this great state of Pennsyvania, I see someone in Deleware, I know of another Amiga person in Maryland, we have enough to start a user group, so when is the next meeting?

No need to start one, there is one:

http://www.ncaug.org/

The next meeting is when a) someone takes the trouble to organize it or b) someone gets a juicy piece of new gear and everyone wants to meet and play with it or x) somebody hacks the date on the website, promises free beer, posts a link on /dot, and thousands of people show up at Walter's without warning. I think 'x' is the most likely.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 10:05:13 PM »
Gawd... you jammy gits... all you people within reach of each other... lucky bleeders... :)

AN APPEAL... :)

Is there anyone living or dead who's still an Amiga User living within a bus ride of the Livingston area in central Scotland... If so get in touch and maybe both of us can start a bi-centennial meeting of "Amiga Users Scotland" I'll provide the Irn Bru & Tunnocks Tea Cakes... ta very glad... I eagerly await to hear from you... :)

PS: Anyone know a good medium (as this might prove tricky)... :)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 12:43:35 AM »
http://www.ncaug.org/

2008 meeting?
Man, its been awhile since these folks got together.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 01:33:53 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;640194
More pms... For morphOS traders, please 1.5 ghz working registered system or better. I think this entire load of amiga goodness is worth a bit more than a low spec emac.

I am looking forward to clearing out all this space and replacing it with one AROS pc and one morphos os machine possibly.

Steven

Unless someone has an accelerated MorphOS system, there is only one Mac model that runs at 1.5GHz and none that run over 1.5GHz (yet).  The fastest G4 PowerMac's were the 1.42GHz MDD models, the same speed as the fastest G4 eMac's, so you might want to reconsider your request for a trade and move the bar down to a minimum of 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac, single G4, or dual G4.  The only G4's that run faster on a MorphOS supported system are third party accelerators for the PowerMac, or the 1.67GHz G4 inside the last PowerBook's, but there is no current support for any G4 PowerBook's yet.

MorphOS2.7 does run very fast on any 1.25GHz G4 system, so you shouldn't feel like you are getting an inferior system, just because it is not running at the same speed as the fastest stock Mac G4 model that is currently supported by MorphOS2.x, the 1.5GHz G4 MacMini.  The only faster supported MorphOS2.x systems are the G4 PowerMac's that have third party accelerators, like the 1.8GHz G4 Sonnet.  The 1.25Ghz & 1.42GHz G4 eMac's that you seem opposed to are actually pretty good systems for running MorphOS2.7 on, but they are bulky and heavy.

Good luck with your switch over from Classic to Next Gen Amiga systems (I hope you don't regret it).
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline haywirepcTopic starter

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 03:30:46 AM »
The truth is I have been using a dedicated emulation pc running os3.9 for some time now. Its just much easier than dealing with real hardware, especially all these floppy systems as I do not have a catweasel.

Most often I am actually using my linux pc (which is my every day computer) for running amiga stuff too. I figured out how to have icons on the linux desktop or bars to directly launch whatever amiga programs I still want to run. (Dpaint, octamed, games and so on)

We are selling our house and I'd like to lighten the load alot before any move.  I'm sure I may miss alot of this stuff especially once we move to a much bigger place as we are planning. I will be building a new aros pc in the next few weeks or months. I'd really like a morphOS machine someday, but so far spare X86 pcs are just easier to come by than appropriate macs.

Steven

Offline Iggy

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 04:00:01 AM »
True David, the fastest non-accelerated G4 macs (other than the Powerbooks) is the 1.5 Ghz Mac Mini.
And that model has enough VRAM to make it work well with MorphOS.
Personally, I'd prefer a 1.42 MDD or an accelerated Powermac (at least until Powerbook or G5 support is introduced). Those models have more expansion options.

Whatever direction Steven chooses, he's bound to find NG systems to be more capable then legacy hardware.
I'm fond of real Amigas too, but for everyday use they're just not up to some tasks.

Offline haywirepcTopic starter

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2011, 06:22:14 AM »
I'm sure a next gen system will see alot more use than my old friends here...

Offline pwermonger

• Show only replies by pwermonger
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2011, 05:58:15 PM »
Lately, though, I'm watching prices for Classic Amiga hardware (most classics across the board really) go up and up. Where Amiga 500s were $20 now I regularly see close to $100 with bids unexpanded.

Amiga 1000 will be the true classic of the Amiga line being the first for sure. I think his best bet is to keep them a bit and let them appreciate or put it all up for sale separate and for part of the proceeds he can get a decent PowerMac or MacMini (I got my 1.5 GHz mini for less than $200) and get MorphOS.

Trade or sold as a lot he wont get anywhere near what its all worth now with the appreciating values I'm seeing.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #28 from previous page: May 28, 2011, 06:21:27 PM »
Quote from: pwermonger;640875
Lately, though, I'm watching prices for Classic Amiga hardware (most classics across the board really) go up and up. Where Amiga 500s were $20 now I regularly see close to $100 with bids unexpanded.

Amiga 1000 will be the true classic of the Amiga line being the first for sure. I think his best bet is to keep them a bit and let them appreciate or put it all up for sale separate and for part of the proceeds he can get a decent PowerMac or MacMini (I got my 1.5 GHz mini for less than $200) and get MorphOS.

Trade or sold as a lot he wont get anywhere near what its all worth now with the appreciating values I'm seeing.

Yep, I've only got a little more then that invested in my Powermac.
The problem Steven has is storing all this stuff. If he's moving now would be the time to let it go and replace it with an NG system after the move.

Moving is a pain in the ass without having to lug around a lot of old hardware. I know. My last move I brought along a lot of older hardware (most of which I later sold on Ebay). I wish I'd sold the stuff before the move.

And I use my MOS system more often than our PCs. Unless you invest a lot of money in a legacy system, you're not going to get as much day to day utility.