Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who used AMIX?  (Read 16689 times)

Description:

Offline Pentad

Re: Who used AMIX?
« on: February 14, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »
When I was in college I installed AMIX on my Amiga 3000 and then on my Amiga 3000T.   People couldn't believe that I could dual boot between SVR4 and AmigaOS.  

I have always felt that Commodore did their best work during the "Amiga 3000" years.  That time period seemed like they were really trying as the products looked great, the manuals were very well written, and they just came off very professional.   It was Commodore at their best.

AMIX was very well done with a great implementation of SVR4, the manuals were awesome, the networking stack rocked, the price was right (compared to other Unix offerings from Apple/IBM/AT&T/etc...), and they enticed many universities to go with Commodore AMIX for their labs and students.  Did you know the AMIX manuals were written, designed, and typeset using AMIX?  

I wish there was more information about Commodore history as I would like to know about the developers of AMIX, how they approached AT&T to port UNIX, who was involved in the process, how long did it take, stories about SUN, and whatever happened to the source code that they used, etc, etc, etc....   I heard that Gateway formatted the AMIX development machines to put Windows on them but who knows....

I teach CS at a university now and I emailed one of professors that was in the Amiga 3000UX brochures about them using AMIX and working with Commodore.   He said that the machines and software were great but in the end it was a huge disaster for them.

When Commodore went under, it left these universities scrambling to support labs and students with few parts from Commodore.   I guess the labs weren't as big of an issue as the students since they were forced into buying the computers so the university had to support them for years.

This gentleman said they started to buy Amiga 3000UX machines back from students to have supplies to service others.  

Cheers!
-P

PS- Even crazier, Atari put out a version of SVR4 for the TT030 but I have never seen it.  I have actually looked online because I would like to see how it compares/compared to AMIX.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:40:10 PM by Pentad »
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline Pentad

Re: Who used AMIX?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 09:57:45 PM »
Wouldn't it be cool of WinUAE supported AMIX?
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE