Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone  (Read 9035 times)

Description:

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:45:24 PM »
Being a fan of a dying (dead?) platform like the Amiga, I went and bought another dying platform!  I absolutely love my Nokia N9 and the N900 before it.  I figure at this point I'm going to be using either of them until the day I die.

I am going to be installing Baldur's Gate (via GemRB) on my N900 right now.  Pretty sure you'll never be able to do that on a Windows phone (they ported it to Android and iOS though, if I recall correctly).  But then without a stylus or keyboard, I don't see it being too terribly pleasant to play.

Personally I think Windows Phone was bound to fail and that the whole Microsoft / Nokia deal was simply so Microsoft could weaken Nokia, buy them out, and have all their patents.  At that point all hell is going to break loose!

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;696602
Isn't there an Android port for one of the Nokia devices you mentioned?  I know that isn't what you bought it for, but it's nice to have that option just in case.  Dual booting might be an option.

Yeah, both of them have a semi-working port of Ice Cream Sandwich.  Due to some of the few closed off bits, they haven't quite gotten calls to work.  So while I could run Android software when dual-booted, I couldn't make or receive calls.

Hopefully the OpenMobile's ACL gets released (they say they are working on it) and then I could run all the Linux stuff, Qt stuff, AND the Android software.  Without actually having to run Android, which I don't really like.

It'd be like having an Amiga that runs all the Windows software :D  Then again, I think an Amiga that did that would probably require 4GB of ram or more as well.

Then again, being able to use a quick OS that is more open, and tweakable (my N9 came with grep!) is far more important to me than all the applications.  

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.