Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Problem setting up dual booting Morphos/Leopard  (Read 6117 times)

Description:

Offline KesaTopic starter

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
Problem setting up dual booting Morphos/Leopard
« on: February 04, 2012, 09:09:43 AM »
I am trying to set up a dual booting Macmini with Leopard and Morphos2.7 but am having trouble.

I am using this manual: http://dreamolers.binaryriot.org/dualboot.pdf

I followed it to the letter with a clean install of Leopard with the 3 partitions it said to do. But Leopard would not let me make a partition of less than 1gb even though i tried using a decimal place. But i don't mind about this.

I got all the way to Step 3 when i came across something. It says select the first partition which on the picture is the 64MB partition but on my screen the first partition is the 128Mb padding for osx. Maybe the manual needs to be updated? Anyway i did what it said and did the first partition. I followed the manual until i got to the Mounter. It says select DH0 and change the type to NFS but when i tried it would not let me instead forcing me to use NFS+. DF1 worked fine though. I kept on going formatting both DH0 and DH1 then clicked next only to find DH1 with no DH0 present on the iwizard install screen. Where is the Boot disk? I followed the instructions exactly :confused:

Today i tried the entire process from scratch doing a fresh install of Leopard. This time when the manual said to select the first partition which on the picture is the 64 MB but on mine is the 128MB padding i selected the 1 GB partition which was the second. Then i followed the instructions all the way through and ended up with the same result - no boot disk on the iwizard install screen :confused:

I don't get it. I thought maybe i did nothing wrong and maybe the manual just needed updating because i could see the boot disk icon on the Ambient screen. I didn't know what else to try so i clicked install. I rebooted after it told me it had successfully installed and held down ALT but it went straight into Leopard and it said "Unable to repair boot disk".

OK what have i done wrong  :confused:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
Re: Problem setting up dual booting Morphos/Leopard
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »
:bump:

Sorry, i just wanted to put this back up on the front page. Does anyone know? I really want to get this thing going  :)

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:26:19 PM »
I can't remember exactly what I did, but I ended up using gparted on an Ubuntu live CD since Leopard's partitioner wouldn't cooperate. I'll take a look at what my MorphOS and OSX partitioners report (on a functional dualboot system) when I get home.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:34:51 AM »
Matt's right, the easiest way to handle partitioning is to use Linux.
I used Ubuntu too (and its been so long I can't remember how I handled it, but it can't be too difficult because I'm no Linux expert).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 02:22:49 AM »
Ok, here's HDConfig on the MorphOS side. I had OSX installed already, so I resized its partition downward with gparted and added MorphOS at the end.

I did things a little differently than the guide. My MorphOS bootimage partition is called Boot: in both device name and volume name (whereas the guide uses device name DH0: and volume name Boot:). My SYS: partition is DH0: and my Work: partition is DH1:. I apparently do not have padding between the partitions, except for 128MB at the start of the drive. I don't remember how things got that way.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 02:33:05 AM »
And here's OSX.

EDIT: Incidentally, does anyone know why my images are getting converted to an illegible size?!?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:48:24 AM by Matt_H »

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 06:19:21 AM »
Thanks guys! I thought it would be on the Morphos side of things and not osx. Oh well...

Tomorrow i will download Ubuntu and try it your way and see if that works.

Cheers!  :)

Offline LukasSid

• Show only replies by LukasSid
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 07:23:35 PM »
:bump:
Sorry for digging an old thread. I just got myself mint Mac Mini G4 1gb ram, thanks Matt_H for the tips. Can't wait to try MorphOs