Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Macworld: Turn your G4-era Mac into a next-gen Amiga  (Read 17096 times)

Description:

Offline zylesea

• Show all replies
    • http://www.via-altera.de
Re: Macworld: Turn your G4-era Mac into a next-gen Amiga
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »
Nice coverage. Would be cool to know whether such an article has an actual impact. I.e. if it yields new users

Offline zylesea

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 10:13:35 PM »
I think most ppl have the wrong perspective of what MorphOS is. Their thinking is too much trapped in benchmarks and higher, better, #?.
No, MorphOS is just an alternative offer. It doesn't need to be better for all. It's not there to conquer Windows or OS X. It's an alternative. It does things different. And you can actuylly use it productively. Some ppl really like that approach (e.g. me), most ppl probably not. Fine with that. But I guess more ppl _could_ get the appeal of MorphOS if they only knew about it or - even better - actually tried it out.  If only 0.001% (1 in 100.000) instead of current 0.0001% (1 in a million) of all computers would run MorphOS (given there are about 2*10^9 computers out there) it would be a great success.

Offline zylesea

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:30:59 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;767285
remembering that it was piru who posted benchmarks a lot i would assume being interested in benchmarks also apply to morphos people, at least as long as benchmarks suit the purpose.

Indeed (kind of). Benchmarks usually carry some (intended or uninteded) agenda.
but they can be helpful though. It's nice to get some basic numbers and to see what a system actually does. It's cool that MorphOS can replay hd videos on hardware where OS X struggles on them. But then again, computing is not only watching videos and an i7 is way, way faster anyway. But a benchmark can reveal a few things.

The only way to get a real impression though it to actually use and test the system. Dunno why exactly, but I just feel home on MorphOS (probably it's because I am used to it). That feeling compensates for other shortcomings.

For example one of the things I especially like about MorphOS (AOS, AROS) is the default window management/behaviour. Particularly that active windows don't jump to front automatically but only on a double click (default on MorphOS, click2front on 68k). For me it makes the workflow pretty different and more controlable.

IMHO things like that make the difference to other mainstream OSes. Having Mplayer or a good browser are no pro arguments, but neccessarities (unfortunately a few neccessarities are still lacking).