Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is your everyday OS/Platform ?  (Read 12372 times)

Description:

Offline kedawa

• Show all replies
Re: What is your everyday OS/Platform ?
« on: May 29, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
I use Vista Home Basic, which came preinstalled on my cheapo PC.  At first I only kept it out of laziness and the need to run a few Windows exclusive programs, but ever since SP1, it's worked very well for me.

I'd love to be using AROS, Haiku, or even Syllable, but they all have a long way to go before they can replace Windows for my daily computing tasks.  AROS doesn't even support my keyboard and mouse yet.

Offline kedawa

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 12:20:38 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;641237
Ubuntu for me. But i use mac osx and windows xp at the uni sometimes. I will never go back to windows now on my main pc because it's a flawed product. All those viruses...

It's definitely a flawed product, but so is just about every other OS.  I don't like the way it presents the user with a desktop long before it's actually usable, or the way it allocates huge amounts of storage to things like the recycle bin or internet cache by default, or about a thousand other boneheaded design choices MS has made, but I'm convinced viruses are mostly a matter of user error.
I've been using windows for over a decade with constant internet connections and no AV software, and not once have I had a problem with a virus.  It's not like I have my system locked down, or avoid sketchy websites, either.  I've had to re-install plenty of systems which did have viruses and malware, and in almost every case, the source of the virus was either the user falling for some lame trick prompt on a website, or careless downloading from P2P networks.
An experienced user should never have an issue.

Offline kedawa

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;641403
Yay! Let's hear it for Steven!

I refuse to have a smart phone.

I find them oh so seductive myself, but worry that with e-mail and internet access while away from home I'll be paying even less attention to the world around me.

So I may be one of only a few people here who's first experience with ARM is likely to be at home.

You could always just get a smartphone and not get a data plan.  That way, you can load it up with apps and games, but not have internet access when you're out and about.

Offline kedawa

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 04:35:41 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;641447
AT&T does not allow this.  If you have an Iphone, you get a data plan.  period.

There are other carriers and smartphones.
Does AT&T use SIM cards?