Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The OpenAmiga Standard  (Read 13747 times)

Description:

Re: SUMMARIZING The OpenAmiga Standard
« Reply #164 from previous page: June 13, 2003, 09:24:14 AM »
http://openamiga.org/

openamiga.org is now active, please update your bookmarks!

@alx and uncharted

Could you come up with a new logo with openamiga.org and a rainbow tick between the two of you please?

Or anyone else for that matter.  It doesn't have to have the tick, but I've got the idea in my head and I quite like it now! :-)

Offline alx

« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2003, 09:56:03 AM »
Could you come up with a new logo with openamiga.org and a rainbow tick between the two of you please?

I've already done a revised version which is now on the Logos page, but if someone else wants to use any bits (ie the 3D tick) to incorperate in a better one, then just drop me a pmail/email.

Offline greenboy

• Show only replies by greenboy
    • http://PhiNiXi.com
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2003, 10:01:11 AM »
mdma, I like the tick as well - it allows the project to have some breathing space from corporate logo overkill. Just promise me that all the supporters of the 'movement' will never make avatars based on whatever you use ; }

While I'm on the subject: actually I feel the Amizilla mascot is kinda messed up for a couple different reasons. But the primary one is that it is supposed to represent an initiative with three main target platforms (all with their own respective signia). And yet there it is: a Boing Ball. Sheesh. But put butterfly wings on lizard girl and some cat fur and whiskers and you have a case of classic confused hormones/genomes adolescent roadkill! So that's no solution either...

Amizillla would be better served by getting a logo and or mascot that carries its OWN non-dependent IDENTITY that would also send the intended message of semi-non-partisanship ; }
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2003, 10:17:48 AM »

greenboy wrote:
mdma, I like the tick as well - it allows the project to have some breathing space from corporate logo overkill. Just promise me that all the supporters of the 'movement' will never make avatars based on whatever you use ; }

While I'm on the subject: actually I feel the Amizilla mascot is kinda messed up for a couple different reasons. But the primary one is that it is supposed to represent an initiative with three main target platforms (all with their own respective signia). And yet there it is: a Boing Ball. Sheesh. But put butterfly wings on lizard girl and some cat fur and whiskers and you have a case of classic confused hormones/genomes adolescent roadkill! So that's no solution either...

Amizillla would be better served by getting a logo and or mascot that carries its OWN non-dependent IDENTITY that would also send the intended message of semi-non-partisanship ; }

IMHO opinion Amizilla should be Mozilla, and the Amiga specific code included in the main Mozilla tree in the same way the linux and Windows code sit side by side.  It should be promoted as being exactly the same as the other versions, it would be better marketing i think.

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2003, 12:44:58 PM »

mdma wrote:

greenboy wrote:

IMHO opinion Amizilla should be Mozilla, and the Amiga specific code included in the main Mozilla tree in the same way the linux and Windows code sit side by side.  It should be promoted as being exactly the same as the other versions, it would be better marketing i think.

Of course it should, but without a common amiga platform spec they can't do it... oh wait... there is one :-D

« Reply #169 on: June 13, 2003, 12:46:52 PM »

bloodline wrote:

mdma wrote:

greenboy wrote:

Of course it should, but without a common amiga platform spec they can't do it... oh wait... there is one :-D

:lol:

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #170 on: June 13, 2003, 07:31:42 PM »

mdma wrote:
http://openamiga.org/

openamiga.org is now active, please update your bookmarks!

@alx and uncharted

Or anyone else for that matter.  It doesn't have to have the tick, but I've got the idea in my head and I quite like it now! :-)

I had a quick go at making a 3D rainbow tick eariler today, from memory, but I didn't quite get it right (The angle on the small lines wasn't quite tight enough).  

Then I realised that I have the orginal tick on the OS roms so I took a grab of the 3.1 insert dick screen via UAE and then cleaned it up using photoshop adding some polish.

I'm afraid you'll have to wait till tomorrow to see them as I did it on my laptop and I can't be arsed to faff about disconecting from here, swapping leads, reconnecting, uploading etc.

The only thing is I believe that the checkmark is a trademark (belonging to whoever owns Commodore) this topic came up back in 1999 in the days of the MCC when people were arguing over which logo should be on that VCR thingy.

Also Copyright may come into play here (I'm not an expert) as the Amiga ROMS (and therefore the image) are copyrighted to Amiga Inc.

Originally the padlock design was going to have the checkmark etched into it, but I wasn't sure of the legal status.

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #171 on: June 14, 2003, 03:13:35 PM »

uncharted wrote:

The only thing is I believe that the checkmark is a trademark (belonging to whoever owns Commodore) this topic came up back in 1999 in the days of the MCC when people were arguing over which logo should be on that VCR thingy.

Also Copyright may come into play here (I'm not an expert) as the Amiga ROMS (and therefore the image) are copyrighted to Amiga Inc.

Originally the padlock design was going to have the checkmark etched into it, but I wasn't sure of the legal status.

The tick would be ideal though, it emphasizes the positivity of OpenAmiga, don't you think?  :-) It has a good psychological effect on me anyway. Look at the logo at the top of this page, I think I see a rainbow tick  :-D

I really hope this is actually going somewhere...  :-)

Offline jdiffend

• Show only replies by jdiffend
Re: The OpenAmiga Standard
« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2003, 05:00:45 PM »
Let me point out something here.

Most "open" standards are managed by a committees composed of reps from manufacturers and developers.

Unless the people writing the OS's get involved with this your efforts will be limited to AROS.

That isn't a bad thing.  It would be nice to have AROS development come under guidlines other than "wouldn't it be cool if" and if the other players are even partially cooperative you will have accomplished something.

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2003, 05:37:26 PM »
Unless the people writing the OS's get involved with this your efforts will be limited to AROS.

Well, the choice of the current APIs was decided by the fact that all the AmigaOSoids support them now. So version 1 of the open specification is already in place.  :-)

Now I would hope that we could bring the MOS team and Hyperion in on this so that the next version can be worked out together... if not then the Openamiga team will just have to release their own free implementation of the next revison for AOS4 and MOS (probably based on AROS sources).

It's perfectly doable  :-P

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2003, 07:29:42 PM »
I would note that Raquel and Bill have been mystifyingly quite on this subject...

Come on Bill!!! You must be interested?
 :-D

« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2003, 11:12:12 PM »

bloodline wrote:
I would note that Raquel and Bill have been mystifyingly quite on this subject...

Come on Bill!!! You must be interested?
 :-D

One might say "Diplomatically quiet". ;-)

Offline greenboy

• Show only replies by greenboy
    • http://PhiNiXi.com
« Reply #176 on: June 15, 2003, 12:16:47 AM »
Lots going on; it's likely BBRV hasn't been reading here. I'm keeping an eye on it occasionally, and its likely that I'll be describing it and what I've seen discussed next time we talk on the phone.But you guys could talk about it on the general Phoenix ML and he'd probably see it.
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

« Reply #177 on: June 15, 2003, 01:25:34 AM »

greenboy wrote:
Lots going on; it's likely BBRV hasn't been reading here. I'm keeping an eye on it occasionally, and its likely that I'll be describing it and what I've seen discussed next time we talk on the phone.But you guys could talk about it on the general Phoenix ML and he'd probably see it.

I already have, as have others.  I'll check my pop3 emails tommorow to see what the general feeling is at Phoenix.