Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why revive Amiga?  (Read 8616 times)

Description:

Offline HyperionMP

• Show only replies by HyperionMP
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
Re: Why revive Amiga?
« Reply #74 from previous page: August 09, 2003, 10:20:37 AM »
AmigaOS = extremely low latency, small memory and performance footprint.

Which is why we are seeing intrest in it from companies active in these markets.

Offline Athlon

• Show only replies by Athlon
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2003, 07:34:09 AM »

HyperionMP wrote:
AmigaOS = extremely low latency, small memory and performance footprint.

Which is why we are seeing intrest in it from companies active in these markets.

Well put !!

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2003, 08:01:52 AM »
Yea,
No other computer has the true amiga feelings you get when you know you are one different user then the world full of Macs and PCs.  I guess as long as your OS does what you want, then ok.

AMIGA RULES!  :-D
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2003, 09:00:27 AM »
Just because a few people can cope with AOS in today's network, that doesn't mean it's significant enough to build a future on. Back during the Amiga's Golden Era, it was easy to be different OS/platform in the computer market.  Today, forget about it, as the major OSs out there have most niche markets  were long ago covered.    What both OS4 and MOS has to do is find some killer app and exploit it.  Failing that, it's going to be a short year for atleast one comapny.  

Just because you have lost all hope in a brighter future doesn't mean we have to too.  Such negative waves!  :-D
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2003, 09:03:18 AM »
Pish posh, the correct answer is: "Why not?"
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Mikey_C

• Show only replies by Mikey_C
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2003, 11:32:46 AM »

On Page 1 of this thread, NewRevolution Wrote:

Allright, I get the picture
Btw. Have you guys seen
THIS page? Plenty of ROMs.

Thanks for the link to an illegal pirate software site. Welcome back to the Amiga, just what we need second time round, pirates :-(

Please feel free to post some more links to pirated software. I'm sure what little developers are left out there welcome public postings of Pirate site - Real motivator for them to carry on.

:-(
YNWA!

Offline DeQuevedo

• Show only replies by DeQuevedo
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2003, 01:44:58 PM »
@NewRevolution

You´re not an AMiGAN, you´re  a ####ed PeeCee guyz, like all the others.

AMiGA is not a "old nostalgia computer", AMiGA is the definitive computers, at leats for me, and ofr many peolpe on this site.
---------------------------------------

-Have Fun infected Incubes!

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2003, 02:32:25 PM »
the AmigaOne? I cant convince you of that (though I'm sure others could try I wont)... but the Pegasos/MOS I can make the argument that the OS is aimed at bieng modern and in the future will sport modern apps, the hardware will continue to evolve and the community will grow...I dont expect pegasos/mos to overtake windows or even the Linux market ...its aim is the  geek/vertical  market... I *hope* it thrives in its market...wich is special purpose or vertical computing (i.e STB's,Servers(someday?), etc)... and of course the geek element of its market wich is why we in this community like it I think it... I cannot explain *geek* to someone over the internet in text... its to complex but suffice to say it all boils down to 'why not? its FUN!" ... if ya cant grasp any of that... meditate and think of these objects (fun trick that might help ya) think of 'snow cones' 'AD&D" 'C64' and (recent addition) "PDA's with PalmOS/Linux on them" ... see what it canjurs up in your head...if its scary...go watch some football , buy a beer and try not to think at all its dangerous for you!... if ya like it... crack out your A1200 and play SuperFrog or go check out Aros for your PC  :)

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2003, 03:52:23 PM »

Lwanmtr wrote:
Because, quite simply..Amiga has always been the best, and it still can do things that pc's and macs cannot.

I not only use a 4000t based flyer, but also a Dual 1ghz Mac, and I can do easier editing on it..and I can do live video switching..unlike Mac and premiere.
This is, of course, because the Toaster can do a lot of work in the 'analog' ('physical'?) domain, while on the Mac or most other solutions, you're stuck digitizing all your streams before you do anything - even basic switching has to occur in the 'virtual' domain.

Perhaps unfortunately, we're entering a world where it's digital from the camera (DV tape, Firewire) on through to the output medium (DVD, DTV), so the Toaster is like owning a really great Hasselblad, Mamiya or Leica - stunning, and capable of great art, but in a medium that's (wrongly!!) becoming even more outmoded than film.

Anyhow, the PowerPC does have a few inobvious benefits, which others have pointed out before.  For one, if we *are* resuscitating the AmigaOS while trying to keep true to it, at least it shares the endianness, and a few other porting niceties.  Someone once brought up a fairly big inobvious advantage in context-switching latency (something to do with which registers need to be flushed/reloaded when, but I can't recall what... little help?), and Altivec does tend to be an equalizer when considering performance vs. x86.

For the direction we've gone in, PowerPC probably is one of the better matches for what Hyperion is doing... If anything, MorphOS had a greater chance to break away from the 'expensive, underpowered' hardware, but they didn't, for many of the same reasons - endianness, some hope of compatibility/portability with existing Amiga PowerPC solutions, and of course, the teams that became Genesi have been in the hardware game even longer than our current AInc.

Look at it this way - the original Amiga had a 68000, then a pretty 'standard' alternative chip, selected by Apple, Atari, Tandy?!, and who knows how many others.  As downtrodden as PowerPC's been recently, it's still the closest viable alternative (and makes sense over x86 for the above reasons).  Meanwhile, it *would* be fairly impossible to create a competetive, groundbreaking systems architecture from scratch - you'd need the resources of an nVidia or ATI... to look at it another way, the commodity market has caught up and surpassed "Amiga" levels of performance.  So, if you argue that all today's machines are practically Amigas - mindblowing graphics chips, 24-bit audio, PnP buses out the wazoo - that leaves one element left, the OS...

...and you've got two to choose from, plus AROS (on x86!) if that floats your boat.  If you could care less, or are happier with Windows, Linux, BSD, Be, whatever... then by all means, use those instead; some of us just still want something more tuned to our sensibilities.

Offline mdwh2

• Show only replies by mdwh2
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2003, 04:23:41 PM »

Amiga is (I believe) old technology today. Can the Amiga OS compete with today?s advanced OS?s like Linux and Windows?
But no one's talking about "reviving" in the sense of re-bringing out existing old technology - it would be like asking who's going to bother about MacOS X, and then say how crap classic MacOS is.

What dose Amiga have to offer that will make AOS more attractive than other OS?s?
Things that I like including programming (toolkits such as MUI make it my favourite platform for application devlopment); some applications (I've yet to find a Windows email client that I prefer over YAM); and various features about AmigaOS (eg, datatypes - although that kind of comes under programming again).

I don't think the current market is bursting with choice when it comes to platforms or OSs, so I'm always happy to see new platforms appear. Especially ones that I'm already familiar, and know has the aforementioned features.

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2003, 06:26:12 AM »
The biggest reason for reviving the Amiga is as follows: Another open platform that is competitive.

Some people can't remember before Microsoft Office or MS-DOS. The world back then with computing was very new, there was a lot of room for small companies to come in and develop software and become big companies. Today if you do some imaging software you have to be "Adobe" to get noticed.  

So why bother with re-imagining and re-inventing the Amiga. Simple, create a new software market for fanatical developers who don't have big money to compete with the Microsoft's or Adobes of the world. Give people a chance to come out with a new direction again for computing, one that anyone can afford to get started with.

The average developer pays Microsoft over $2000 a year for MSDN.  CATS (Commodore Amiga Technical Support) never charged people for that knowledge of development or throttled the progress of new things being invented.

Right now if you are in the open source linux world it's getting mighty crowded and not that many new innovations are going to do something cool and new where are you gonna go?

Would you really have an opportunity in the PC market to become a "Tim Jennison" today? Probably not unless some major company bought you out.

The AmigaOne represents an opportunity not controlled by a major corporation a chance for your own manifest destiny..
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline voxel

• Show only replies by voxel
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2003, 08:27:33 AM »
Why revive Amiga? :-?

Cause it's the Coolest computer/OS ever made on earth (don't know for the other planets ;-) )

Cause it have a real community behind it :-D

Cause despite it's 18 years old it is still pleasent and simple and fast to use :-)

Cause it's OS is still one of the smallest and powerfull and efficient OS ever if not THE one ;-)

Cause despite all it's lasts years of problems it has never died and IS still here to annoy it's detractors and faithfully serve it's admirators ;-)

Cause we LOVE it! :-)

Have I to continue? :-D

Amigalement,
Jean-François, Amiga ONLY since 1985.
Amigalement,
Jean-François Bachelet, Amiga nuts since 1985.
-------------------------------------------------
Welcome to Happy Computing : Amiga! (© 2K4-2K8 voxel)