Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to the xx86.  (Read 8495 times)

Description:

Offline woz111Topic starter

• Show all replies
Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to the xx86.
« on: September 22, 2006, 10:12:35 AM »
I think that Hyperion should port the Amiga OS over to the PC platform now, due to the death of the promised power-pc motherboards etc and a total lack of new hardware for the amiga. It's now only a matter of time before our beloved platform dies out forever. You can get new pc motherboards for under £30? Think of the possibilities, Hyperion could develop OS 4 for the pc platform with a specific setup requirement. What do you all think?

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to the xx86.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 10:33:20 AM »
You all know what I mean, ATHLON 64 or the new Pentium P4's. I also know that this discussion's been brought up many times in the past. I feel now however due to the many dead ends, I, like a lot of other amiga users am getting a little disheartened the way things are going, and have been the last few years. I've tried UAE & Amithlon, and indeed still use my A1200 now and then for the ocassional game of Alien breed 3d 2. But I'd now like the OS to get ported to a viable future, one that's cheap and readily avialable.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 01:40:31 PM »
I also agree with you Pete, Open Source is another way to go about things. And as of UEA, who in the hell wants to have Win XP in the background running, I only use Windows as it's the only way to go at the moment, macs are overpriced and linux is S**t. A simple Amiga OS 4 disc to install on a nice new HDD, then, no crap blue screens of death anymore. I HATE Windows with a capital H, who in their right minds wants to format there PC's one a month because of crashes etc, not me, and personally I'm sick of it, XP that is.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 07:39:39 PM »
Let's talk sense here, custom chips?? Dead, so please don't talk about that. The Amiga at the mo hasn't even got a motherboard out on the market for OS-4. Without OS-4 how's OS-5 going to happen. We have to look at what's readily available and also at a cheap price, our options are x86. I bought a CyberStorm PPC brand new and supported the Amiga as best anyone could, the market was too small. When Phase5 folded, I'd say PPC's for the amiga died with them, unfortunatly. Also, PPC is way too expensive now anyway. x86 is now the way foreward, hell, I'm still waiting for the Amijoe, haha, and it wasn't even April the 1st.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 07:56:59 PM »
The Amiga for me was and still is the OS, not the custom hardware and all that. Everyone who thinks the Amiga OS shouldn't be ported over to the x86 platform is, like chsedge says, hammering yet another nail in it's coffing. We should now forget the PPC, the cost for one would turn a lot of people off. And our community's small enough as it is.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 07:51:05 PM »
Thankfully someone who agrees with me, we should all get in touch with Hyperon and ask them to port OS4 over to the x86 arcitecture. As you rightly say, we have no new hardware, PPC, as good as it is is a dead end, so were left with the x86. We all now need to drop this debate about custom chips etc, as that'll never happen. most of the consumer world think that the Amiga's dead.