Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hey, CeBIT is just around the corner!  (Read 10031 times)

Description:

Offline Marky_D_Sahd

• Show only replies by Marky_D_Sahd
Re: Hey, CeBIT is just around the corner!
« Reply #89 from previous page: March 05, 2003, 03:24:34 PM »

Warface wrote:

Marky_D_Sahd wrote:
Two points:
1.) WOW!  One day, Hyperion rocks, the next day they're scum.  Middle ground, perhaps?  We all act   like we've got [...]

I'm not surprised. The same happened to Haage & Partner a year ago. Fanatics can raise you, and kill you in an instant. I say, I still respect Hyperion.

However, for Hyperion as amiga developers: This community comes as is, with no guarantees. It's exhausting and tiring, when those praising you one day yelling at you the other. Instead, stick to those who are less fanatic, and who are here with a bit of scepticism. They will not fail you. Will not praise you for announcements, feature lists, but will acknowledge the job you do for the platform. IMO

Praise?  Maybe not.  But I do respect Hyperion's attempt to remain communicative throughout this process far more than AmigaInc's "guess what we're doing this month" attitude (and yes, I do get the "Club Amiga" magazine, that which used to be called "Amiga World" in years past, and is still on their site, and do not find it to be all that informative, thogh some stuff in issue is at least thought worthyRogue is correct in one aspect:  They owe us nothing at this point.They certainly don't owe us weekly updates and ever-changing announcements about when the product will ship.

P.S. Rogue:  The IBrowse team suffered the same attacks just before the product shipped because of a 6 week delay for bug squashing.  The insanity an their mailing list was extraordinary.  Ignore it.  When OS4 is released, the FUD will all go away.
Now featuring new and improved G4 AmigaOne, with Mozilla!

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2003, 04:13:36 PM »
"Just remember: No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai, 1985

That is one of the BEST movies I ever saw. I loved that one when I was a kid. :-D

Don't worry too much about it, Rogue. You can't have the sweet without the sour.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline cdfr

• Show only replies by cdfr
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2003, 04:36:34 PM »
About that Ben Yoris incident, I specifically said (and I repeat it here) that his assessment of the situation was wrong. More so because he was talking about OS 4 in general, not only on the AmigaOne.

You are wrong here.
The Thread he was talking in was about a new Amigaone dealer in France and OS4 to be available for it in march.

What Ben did is to say that users should not expect to have OS4 ready for their Amigaone in march, that it could be much longer than that (up to end of 2003).
He was just trying to avoid the people to be angry at Hyperion one more time because of slipping release dates, purchased AmigaOne that run only Linux and so on.

You have implied on ANN that Ben was lying and this was wrong. :-x
It may be because of a confusion of the (bad) translation which included only what Ben said but you have jumped  to conclusions to fast.

It is the same history as with Bill Buck claiming there is no MAI without april.
We can see that up to today he was right: The Amigaone has not shipped in large numbers because of the Articia chip. The April chip correct the bugs that are being corrected in the upcoming Articia.

It is the same story as with Ben H claiming in september last year that the Articia had no bug and that Bplan where not smart enough to find out that.
Hyperion lost its credibility !

What is killing Hyperion/Eyetech right now is the fact that they have been announcing release dates that were predictably not possible and also the fact that they jump on each Genesi announce to say "it's wrong it's wrong, it is FUD", stolen source code public allegations and so on.

You may have better stayed quiet on the Ben Yoris case for example.  I understand your position as being just the coder and not the marketing person, but then do not play marketing people role at all.

I appreciate a lot the Hyperion people for what they did and what they do  but I suspect that Ben H has been knowing for ages that OS4 was far from being completed and played this delay game just to hurt the competition.
I'am also sure that if you were not an Hyperion employee and would use all your objectiveness you would think that delivering end users with machine that do not run the expected OS and not giving them any official release date is something that should not happen. It is also a way to lock in these users and get them away from the competition.

If I was Genesi I would have taken much more aggressive actions against such low actions.

We have nothing against the Frieden brothers, we just have wished that the Amiga and Hyperion heads would not have taken us for more idiots than we are.  :-(

I also have always wondered if Hyperion took over OS4 because they had great business plans for it or if it was just to wage a vendetta coming from old PPC kernel stupid fights.

It is sad that you have been taken into these poor political tricks. Good luck anyway.

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2003, 05:44:03 PM »
Folks, give it up.

It's the typical Monty Python situation. If I say "you're wrong", it is "he denies it. It is him". If I say "you're right", then it is "he admits it. It is him". If I say nothing at all, I am guilty by definition.

Since I am obviously creating just another uproar by pointing out where I think you are wrong, I just skip it.
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline LaBodilsen

• Show only replies by LaBodilsen
    • http://None
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2003, 07:26:55 PM »
@Rogue.

well said.   i was wondering why you took all this vocal abuse.  

And as others did mention, don't listen to the whiners.  you have plenty support without them..
 And keep up the good work.
LB