Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4  (Read 68580 times)

Description:

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4
« on: August 04, 2017, 03:50:47 AM »
The new FPGA in V4 has more space for things like AGA RTG and FPU and is one of the best in it's Cyclone version 5 class. It's able to run the ram at very fast speeds.

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 01:22:04 AM »
I don't think Gunnar hates FPU's. He has stated that purchase a Vampire only if you feel it has the features you need today. Keep in mind UNLIKE other product ranges the features can be upgraded and improved via flashing the core of your choice.

V4 has enough space for an FPU. I wouldn't be a stretch to envision the work done on FEMU put into an FPGA.

The I supposed folks will  then complain the V4 doesn't have a floppy drive controller for floppy compatibility...and that's fine... SO Alright then... it has I/O ports, perhaps someone can fab a floppy port. I dunno beats the hell out of recapping Amigas every 15 years.

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 01:17:04 AM »
So is anyone making accelerators that can match an 060 in performance that we can purchase today?

Vampire is, but sans FPGA FPU. I'd be happy with a 100mhz 060ec card with 128 megs, SD card, Network capability, RTG gfx with HDMI out and flicker fixing (via ecs and AGA through HDMI). But that type pf  060 card doesn't exist at a reasonable price....it has never existed... sadly it may never exist so I Got a Vampire.

Sure it's got some kinks but 060's don't exist anymore, they stopped making them.
The late Dave Needle said in the special edition VIVA Amiga interview that if he was doing an Amiga product today he would use an FPGA. That's good enough for me.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:23:04 AM by Crom00 »

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 01:29:10 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;829629
Except maybe for the A2000 owners as they do not have access to really fast accelerators. These Amigans are quite likely to find this attractive, especially with AGA functionality.

Damn straight. I route all the cables out of the back and AGA on an A2000 is pretty neat.

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:19:27 PM »
Re Kippa:

Kippa had said he was going to leave Vampire production after the run of V600's were done.

But he took a bath on a bad board run, when the factory stopped replying to messages on the matter he lost quite a bit of time and money. He decided to just retire from the project after the loss as it was a bit much.

Not trying to speak for him but he wasn't "kicked". I don't see him doing production again as the rigors of it all are a bit much.

All in all a stand up guy... A real prince in the Amiga scene with all the add ons he's produced over the years.

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:26:01 PM »
Quote from: BSzili;829870
Again, you are moving the goalpost. Since we've come full circle, it's safe to conclude that information about the features currently available in the Vampire cards is not available.

This has some info
http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=6¬e=3607

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 02:17:10 PM »
There is no conspiracy in terms or production or pricing. The team is working on the core, the team is small. I paid for my Vampire 4 in summer 2017 as a tester. It took a year to get one due to a nasty bug that prevented bringup. Once the board came to life I had a V4 within a couple of weeks for demos and testing. Happy to try and help .

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 02:28:42 PM »
Hi price feels high BUT I remember when the Vampire cards were going for $175 euros. Folks would purchase 3, put two on ebay and keep one. So if the higher price puts money into hands of the developers and not ebay re sellers I am ok with that. Also they aren't just slapping an off the shelf 060 chip on there they are developing a modern day equivalent AND supporting lots of ports behind the scenes.

If someone want's to compete and offer something better for a better price go for it!