Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pirates and TOSEC sucks  (Read 9607 times)

Description:

Offline Spyros

• Show all replies
Re: Pirates and TOSEC sucks
« on: July 24, 2003, 10:46:07 PM »
I agree with Decore.

The site has many old and rare utilities and games for many old computers. It would be a shame for them to disappear.

What's the problem with you guys? Haven't you got anything better to do than to concern yourselves with the copyrights of programs that are 20 years old?

Offline Spyros

• Show all replies
Re: Pirates and TOSEC sucks
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 03:05:14 PM »
@NitrousB

The problem with back2roots is that they only have games. As far as old applications are concerned they only have AMOS Basic. The good thing about them is that they ask for permission from the copyright holders probably. P.E. on the other hand has many more old programs that back2roots doesn't have possibly because the later can't contact their authors. OK P.E. hasn't got permission but are these programs available for sale? If they were would anyone buy them? Well I wouldn't buy a 1986 ray-tracing program. Would you? These programs are useless today and I think the reason people download them is to have more complete collection of programs released on an old computer that they own. So, they are preserving old software although strictly speaking they are doing so illegaly.  If this site closes down where will you find old applications? Definitely not at the stores, neither at back2roots for the reasons mentioned above.

I would consider them pirates if they offered StormC4 for download or Hollywood or a new game by Hyperion for example.

The programs that they offer for download are not competitive and are probably of no commercial interest to their authors.