Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The need for "Modern PCs"  (Read 5925 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
Re: The need for "Modern PCs"
« on: November 20, 2012, 05:43:35 AM »
Most of the time, I'm trying to work on video projects, which definitely can't be done retro, at least not easily. I suppose I could go old school with a toaster system but I tried a friends and found it crazy compared to modern editing in digital... Used to have alot of old analog gear, I sold it all. Now just a tiny great quality digital video camera, a pc, and me are making cool stuff...

Unfortunately I can't afford a mac and final cut so I'm using windows so I need alot of horsepower due to the very ****ty windows video editors, not complaining, things work, just some stutter occasionally while trying to edit, even on a quad core....

For everything other than video editing, I use a dual core linux pc for general stuff like writing text docs, email, youtube, irc, facebook, I have to say I highly enjoy my time on this computer, got compiz, dosbox, amiga via EUAE, most linux games, many windows games that behave in wine, alot of sound/music stuff I still tinker with. Almost all software I have used or liked since I started with computers is on this. I also dual boot aros on it but still prefer the linux side for most of my geeky adventures... This machine also boots windows xp if I need it, which I rarely do...

Thats my "modern" setup. My retro setup, which used to consist of a c64, an amiga 1200 and a color computer 3 is now gone, in favor of virtual workalikes on the linux box. More comfortable room now. But I miss the old girls...

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 06:57:43 AM »
I really like the idea of a nicely decked out 1200 next to your main pc but its rough to make happen. Had it for awhile but the 1200 was so hit or miss. Problems...accelerator half life. ram problems. Scan doubling troubles...

Emulation just easier...

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »
"now it's becoming the thing that cages them in."

I disagree. If you need to create digital content,  you want a desktop. It enables you to create digital art, music, video, 3d, and more...