Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New book on classic Amiga programming  (Read 12444 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaBruno

Re: New book on classic Amiga programming
« on: April 18, 2022, 03:57:56 AM »
It sounds great! I bought the ROM Kernal Manuals in 1989-1990, but never really understood them. Any simpler version is welcome. I was very upset to find out that I needed the official Commodore Amiga library .h files to program anything except text only programs. I think these files should obviously have been included on floppy disks inside these books. I didn't see any way of getting them except by buying an expensive Lattice C or Manx/Aztec C compiler, so that was the end of my plans to program in C on the Amiga, because I didn't think I could type all the files in myself from the Includes & Autodocs manual without any errors, although I heard someone actually did that. 

I'm seriously considering buying this book, but I found a hidden gem a few days ago which I'm in the middle of reading. I'm multilingual, but my native language is English. This book is the German language "AMIGA-Programmier-Handbuch: Für Amiga 500, 1000 und 2000". This seems to be all in C. It was written in 1987, so is based around Workbench 1.2, but don't forget that all applications for early versions of Amiga Workbench work on later versions, so long as you follow the official guidelines. This book contains details of...

"Die Screen- und Window-Bibliotheken/The Screen and Window Libraries
Die Zeichen- und Textbefehle/The drawing and text commands
Hardware-Sprites und Animation/Hardware sprites and animation
Aufbau und Abfrage von Menüs/Building and using menus
Gadgets/Gadgets
Mitteilung von System-Meldungen/Notification of System messages
DOS-Funktionen in eigenen Programmen/DOS functions in your own programs
Druckerausgabe/Printer output
Befehle zur Sprachein- und -ausgabe/Speech input and output commands"

There's also a follow up book!

You can find this first book on...

https://www.kultmags.com/books.php?folder=QU1JR0EgUHJvZ3JhbW1pZXItSGFuZGJ1Y2g=

I don't really like the Amigas which natively run Amiga OS4 because they're too expensive and don't look or feel much like the Classic Amigas either.