Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A word about the content here at Amiga.org  (Read 145487 times)

Description:

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
Re: A word about the content here at Amiga.org
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2010, 02:02:05 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;595538
Is this a record thread necro for AO?

If it isn't it's certainly in the top 10.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2010, 02:12:12 PM »
Quote from: Tension;595537
Very true.

If this was a UK site things would be very different.

Maybe you should make one Franko?

@ Tension

It wouldn't work as I'd have to ban half of the "old boys network" on here with their holier than thou attitudes and their beliefs that because they've been here longer than some others, they and their old chums/friends can say certain things and use certain words, while other newer members or those not on their friends list have to tread carefully for fear of getting banned or having infractions placed on their profiles.

But I know what the answers will be to this anyway, it would be along the lines of ,well go ahead as we wouldn't want to join your site anyway and we don't want you here anyway.

You may have noticed I've been a bit more cynical and outspoken in some of my recent posts, the reason for this is quite simple the longer I've been here the more I realise the above statement is very true with some of these "old boys club members" who seem to think they have more rights than newer members and that some how they should be shown more respect beside the fact that some of them are absolute numpties... :rolleyes:

Guess when I'm finally on everyones ignore list I can then happily tell them what I really think about them as they wouldn't be reading my posts anyway... :)

Gawd... I'm turning into a right grumpy old man... :roflmao:

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2010, 04:49:29 PM »
Quote from: Franko;595545
Gawd... I'm turning into a right grumpy old man... :roflmao:

More like a drama-queen...

Offline Franko

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2010, 04:56:19 PM »
Quote from: CSixx;595580
More like a drama-queen...

Oooh bitchy, I should hit you with my handbag for that one... :rolleyes:

Offline illy5603

• Show only replies by illy5603
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2010, 05:00:52 PM »
Interesting read but this thread should really be locked and put back in its tomb...

Offline Tension

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2010, 05:07:11 PM »
Quote from: illy5603;595583
Interesting read but this thread should really be locked and put back in its tomb...

Threads should NEVER be locked my friend.

Offline tone007

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2010, 05:17:10 PM »
[Youtube]zRX4mlFi06A[/youtube]
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Franko

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »
Quote from: illy5603;595583

Yeah... Great Idea lets lock away any old text that's over 8 years old or we don't like or agree with, the bible, the dead see scrolls, the book of the dead, The Amiga RMK manuals, old copies of the Beano etc... etc...

Hang on... Whats that noise... Oh, Oh, I think the Spanish Inquisition have just arrived at my front door.... :roflmao:

Offline illy5603

• Show only replies by illy5603
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2010, 06:16:08 PM »
Quote from: Tension;595586

Yeah, heaven forbid we miss any of your 3 word drive by posts... Seriously, go and take a look at what you contribute here.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:04:22 PM by Argo »

Offline Tension

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2010, 06:28:06 PM »
Quote from: illy5603;595601
Yeah, heaven forbid we miss any of your 3 word drive by posts... Seriously, go and take a look at what you contribute here. You are like a dog that walks down the street and takes a crap in every yard it passes.

OOOPS!!!

That sounds like a personal attack to me.

A quick check through your posts shows that you're the one who is selling the CDTV stuff on ebay.  

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55486
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:07:14 PM by Argo »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2010, 06:56:46 PM »
Quote from: Franko;595534
Very interesting thread this, seems back when Wayne was in charge attitudes as to what you could and couldn't say here were very different from what you can and can't say today... :)

Incorrect and a total misrepresentation of the situation both now and then.

The present moderation rules are actually the same as they were then and, FYI, Wayne was running the place for a long time after that was written. You can say more or less what you want, provided you don't get too personal and you don't use an excess of foul language.

What you have done here is to take a very old thread, 8 years in fact, totally and utterly ignore the context of what was going on in a period you've said you totally missed out and used it to comment on how things are now.

Let me put the post you have quoted in perspective for you. Back then, the community was just starting to tear itself in two and it was a bloody ugly time with a lot of bitterness. Long running fights would break out between different members and most forums, this one included became a bit of a battle ground in which a lot of rubbish, FUD and downright nasty stuff was said by various people on all sides.

However, as for moderation rules, they haven't changed. Just ask any of the existing long term mods.

@Tension

You have a tendency to use foul language which the moderation rules aim to keep in check. People complain, you get moderated for it then you complain about the moderation and carry on with yet more bad language. The solution to this issue can't be that difficult to see. Say what you have to say without using so much of it and things will be just fine.

Alternatively, if you feel that is such an infringement of your free speech and you want to write f*ck and c*nt every other post, set up your own forum and fill it with profanity to your heart's content. This aims to be a family-friendly forum.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:02:01 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2010, 07:15:17 PM »
Quote from: Tension;595586

In an ideal world they wouldn't and we would all get along, tolerating and respecting our differences in opinion.

Offline Franko

« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2010, 07:16:38 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;595618
Incorrect and a total misrepresentation of the situation both now and then.

The present moderation rules are actually the same as they were then and, FYI, Wayne was running the place for a long time after that was written. You can say more or less what you want, provided you don't get too personal and you don't use an excess of foul language.

What you have done here is to take a very old thread, 8 years in fact, totally and utterly ignore the context of what was going on in a period you've said you totally missed out and used it to comment on how things are now.

Let me put the post you have quoted in perspective for you. Back then, the community was just starting to tear itself in two and it was a bloody ugly time with a lot of bitterness. Long running fights would break out between different members and most forums, this one included became a bit of a battle ground in which a lot of rubbish, FUD and downright nasty stuff was said by various people on all sides.

However, as for moderation rules, they haven't changed. Just ask any of the existing long term mods.

I wasn't misrepresenting anything, I merely followed a spider that was reading this post and found it quite interesting and simply posted on it to reflect what I see are some major differences in the way the sight seems to have been moderated back then in comparison as to how I see it being moderated now.

And duh.. I know the thread is 8 years old but I don't see any rules on the sight that says I can't comment on a thread that I have never read before just because it's of a certain age.

If you don't want folk commenting or posting on a thread that is so old then lock it and allow folk to only be able to read it. Though I wouldn't understand why this should have to be the case.

As for the community tearing itself apart just take a look at the Natami thread currently running now for example. There are sure signs in there of the same thing happening but I don't see you complaining about that one.

Just goes to prove to me at least, about what I said here in the first place.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2010, 07:18:35 PM »
Quote from: Franko;595623
As for the community tearing itself apart just take a look at the Natami thread currently running now for example. There are sure signs in there of the same thing happening but I don't see you complaining about that one.

Trust me. The Natami stuff is utterly tame compared to what went on then. Of course, since a lot of posts and threads were deleted, you'll just have to take my word for it.

From a moderation perspective, nobody gives a crap if you want to comment on an 8-year old thread but posting on really old threads, especially contentious ones, is commonly frowned upon by users of forums across the web. It's even got it's own nickname. Check out "thread necromancery". Like old arguments, some things are just best left in the past.

You seem quite insistent to prove yourself right, but once again, the moderation rules haven't changed and the same people are moderators that were then too; in fact, I'm the only "new" moderator and I do next to nothing aside from act on the odd reported post (usually one of the other mods beats me to it) and approve news items. Long established sites like this one tend to be self-policing.

Perhaps it's because after the split, most of the really aggrieved members in each camp went off to form their own mutually exclusive forums that things here seem so much calmer now, but I find it hard to see how you can imply a change in how the site is run from a period you weren't even witness to. Whatever it is, it's not down to a change in moderation policy. At least none that I know of.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:30:04 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Quote from: Franko;595545
@ Tension

It wouldn't work as I'd have to ban half of the "old boys network" on here with their holier than thou attitudes and their beliefs that because they've been here longer than some others, they and their old chums/friends can say certain things and use certain words, while other newer members or those not on their friends list have to tread carefully for fear of getting banned or having infractions placed on their profiles.

Then the "good old boys" would go off and start there own web portal. Bashing you and your portals members for outcasting them and their beliefs (the one true way). They would revel in their new found freedom on their site saying whatever they want.

Then they would mellow and come to accept other points of view. Tolerating civil forms of discourse while trying to reign in the unruly. The diehard unruly, holding to the one true way on which the portal was founded, will say the the site has lost its way.

Then in the end the diehards would go off to form their own web portal paradise where they can post as they wish.

Offline Franko

« Reply #74 from previous page: November 30, 2010, 07:24:49 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;595624
Trust me. The Natami stuff is utterly tame compared to what went on then. Of course, since a lot of posts and threads were deleted, you'll just have to take my word for it.

I do take your word for it, but as someone interested in all things Amiga including the past history of sites such as this, I find it quite fascinating to read through these old posts and I was merely making an observation which I know you don't agree with, but I assure you I meant no harm by it nor did I expect the result to be this.

So the only thing I can do here is promise not to comment in this thread again if that will help... :)