Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 600 - XBench weirdness  (Read 612 times)

Description:

Offline RedWarriorTopic starter

• Show only replies by RedWarrior
Amiga 600 - XBench weirdness
« on: September 17, 2016, 05:50:16 AM »
Yes, it's me again.... ;)

Installed WHDLoad. (Yay!)
Installed X-bench (Woohoo!)
Extracted a bunch of demos & games that are supposedly WhdLoad ready. (Hoorah!)
Even slightly fixed my fragile kayboard ribbon cable and can now press Enter (OMG yay!)
X-Bench Loads (Wow!!)
Selecting Launcher - Black screen
Selecting Explorer - Black screen
Shell - Probably black screen (who ever uses this?)
Setup- Black Screen...

Tried reinstalling... Nothing.

I knew I was silly to get my hopes up again... None of these emoticons can express my frustration.

Any suggestions for what might be putting X-bench in a bad mood?

Thanks again. =)

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Amiga 600 - XBench weirdness
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 07:28:20 AM »
No idea what XBench is. Why do you need it? Try starting more simple - do the games run when you click on their icons?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline AmiDude

• Show only replies by AmiDude
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 10:31:10 AM »
Here we go again.... :crazy:

Offline paul1981

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 03:56:41 PM »
Maybe there's a solution in this eab thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65633

I'd love to help, but I've never used XBench before. Does it have any specific requirements mentioned in the docs such as libraries or assign's or anything?

Offline RedWarriorTopic starter

• Show only replies by RedWarrior
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 02:52:00 AM »
A few (very few) of the games are loading, only from their icons (thanks for that idea!). None of the demos so far.

I thought XBench was how most people organised and launched their games? Open to alternatives if they actually work! =)

I'm getting a lot of "Cannot allocate ShadowRam" or "Cannot allocate ExpRam" and other more cryptic error messages when I try to run these apps.

I'm wondering if maybe my kickstart files aren't named properly or something...

I got some games to "kind of" work- Bubble Bobble loads, but all the sprites are jumbled up so instead of animations with how many points I got, it's Death heads...

Likewise with R-type, all the text is garbage characters...

Does an A600 need to load an older kickstart to run these kinds of games? And what is the naming convention for kickstart files? I have a Kick1.3 Rom... I have all of them actually, but I'm noticing various names for the same files, and no clear explanation.

I've googled this as well, to try and limit this comedic and sad adventure for your benefit too, guys ;)

Also- why does WHDLoad allocate a different exit key each game? Sometimes it's the Help key, Sometimes it's F10, and just for fun, it's often PrintScreen (which doesn't even exist on an A600)... :D

Thanks again!