Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 79 available systems for MorphOS 3.5  (Read 51358 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: 73 available systems for MorphOS 3.2
« Reply #134 from previous page: February 17, 2014, 03:18:29 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;759047
It needs to say 3.5 in the thread title but it says 3.2. :)
i can't catch a break around here! :laughing:

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2014, 03:57:36 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;759047
It needs to say 3.5 in the thread title but it says 3.2. :)

So are you trying to say that MorphOS 3.5 came out on 05-28-2013?
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2014, 04:07:31 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;759049
So are you trying to say that MorphOS 3.5 came out on 05-28-2013?

I'd say that was a stupid comment, but I'd be afraid of being accused of making an attack.

79 systems?
Woohoo!
Ain't that something?
How many systems does OS4 run on?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2014, 04:39:48 PM »
Iggy, are we counting new or antique systems?
No doubt that mos runs on more antiques systems than AmigaOS.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2014, 04:53:08 PM »
Quote from: yssing;759051

With all due respect to A-eon and Varisys, my "antique" runs faster than a brand new X1000.
And by the time the X5000 is released, I should be running MorphOS on a quad core 2.5, so that "antique" will not only be faster, but will have just as many cores as the top of the line X5000.

And since when is a nine year old system "antique".
How old are the original "AmigaOne" models?
Even new, can an Acube board outperform even a dated PowerMac G4?

Do I care about when a system was created if it can mop the floor with the competition?

AND, if MorphOS support is extended to the X5000, how will the OS4 community explain the performance disparities  between the two OS'?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2014, 06:10:17 PM »
Quote from: yssing;759051

Hey now, play nice, and most of all - don't go throwing stones in glass houses! ;)

The X1000, the "top of the line", the prime of its kind, the better than best when it comes to OS4 HW origins from exactly the same antique age. Development may have begun in 2009, but it's nonetheless 2005 class HW (in a desktop context at least, it being a "mobile" CPU) and some of those ancient *G4* Macs actually beats it (laptops even)! At a fraction of the price. With proper GFX drivers, etc. Just sayin'! ;)

Sure, relying on HW that isn't being manufactured anymore will eventually become a problem, there is no arguing in that (a broad HW base of 79+ machines may of course help in postponing it for a while, but we'll get there). But here is the thing: relying on HW that either has too poor performance (Sam) or are insanely priced (X1000), and in both case has a terrible price/performance ratio, is a *present* problem (and has been a problem for OS4 since its very beginning).

At least MorphOS's future situation is being addressed. So I have heard, at least...

But this is of course off topic in this thread! The topic is that there now are 79 available systems for MorphOS 3.5

:cool:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:17:27 PM by takemehomegrandma »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
Re: 79 available systems for MorphOS 3.5
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2014, 06:14:34 PM »
This argument from os4 fanboys about no new MORPHOS hardware is pretty ridiculous when a 100$ g4 mac outperforms their 3,000$ X1000.

Congratulations, your overpriced (but brand new) underperforming custom hardware is slower than a powermac I can get on ebay for 100$.

g5 powermacs smoke the x1000. (Even being antiques) :biglaugh:

Personally, I always thought it was pretty brilliant of the morphos team to port to this platform. There are tons of powerpc macs out there no one really wants. Beats robbing morphos customers for 3,000$ for an outdated
underperforming custom ppc computer.

I'm a linux guy, so I never appreciated or liked osx much. BUT Mac hardware is pretty well built.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2014, 06:34:13 PM »
Why did OS4 get brought into this conversation?

This is exactly why there are such divisions in the Amiga community.  Can't we have a good thread about MorphOS without trying to one-up the so-called competition? We should be cheering each other on, as cross-pollination between platforms benefits all of us - not sniping at each other.

The red vs. blue wars to most intents and purposes ended a long time ago, why try and continue it?

Let's keep this thread a positive thread about the progress made by the MorphOS devs, rather than yet another negative thread about other flavours, eh?
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2014, 06:39:25 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;759055
...BUT Mac hardware is pretty well built.

Yep, well said, Steven.
I despise Apple, but the hardware IS well made.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2014, 06:42:26 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;759056
Why did OS4 get brought into this conversation?

This is exactly why there are such divisions in the Amiga community.  Can't we have a good thread about MorphOS without trying to one-up the so-called competition? We should be cheering each other on, as cross-pollination between platforms benefits all of us - not sniping at each other.

The red vs. blue wars to most intents and purposes ended a long time ago, why try and continue it?

Let's keep this thread a positive thread about the progress made by the MorphOS devs, rather than yet another negative thread about other flavours, eh?

I don't really know as several of my friends use OS4 and I might get a copy if I buy a system that will run both OS'.
But for all intents and purposes, the whole "war" issue is dead.
Heck, we've been pushing for some common applications (like Odyssey).

Offline yssing

« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2014, 06:48:59 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;759053

And since when is a nine year old system "antique".
How old are the original "AmigaOne" models?

I never said that the Eyetech amigaOne models werent antique, and any thing older than 3 years is antique IMHO.
So in the SAM440 I use,  I also use an old system.

Even new, can an Acube board outperform even a dated PowerMac G4?

Do I care about when a system was created if it can mop the floor with the competition?

AND, if MorphOS support is extended to the X5000, how will the OS4 community explain the performance disparities  between the two OS'?
Lets cross that bridge when MOS gets there.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2014, 07:01:06 PM »
@ yssing

All points I can agree on.
And I am in one of my "I think I might want a SAM460" modes right now.
That has its "antique" attributes too, but I guess its a matter of what you use it for.
As I move to G5s, I find web browsing on my iBook preferable as it uses less power.
A SAM460 would also offer low power draw for less demanding uses.
Not everything needs an X1000, X5000, or a G5.

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2014, 07:02:57 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;759043
At least they are usable. For real. IMHO, the GFX card situation is not a problem with MorphOS (the PPC is a far more serious issue for example); those graphic cards kind of match the computers general performance for which they were made anyway, they are of the same age, from the same era. The R200 support is rock solid, the R300 has had many updates and improvements during the last few MorphOS releases and is now probably (I have no personal experience) kind of mature, then there will be the R500...

The X1000 development/OS4 porting started in 2009, the Sam 460 was released (with OS4 ported) in mid-2010. PCI-e was touted as some kind of holy grail by some, and Radeon HD cards were bundled with the pre-built systems ever since then.

That was more than an entire "computer generation" ago, a very looong time has passed since then in "computer evolution time". And today I read in Trevor's blog that the first release of the Radeon HD driver v1.0 is closing in. The highlight of this will be 2D HW acceleration! Not 3D, not overlay, just regular 2D!

So to quote yourself: "what good is that"?

While we had 2D, 3D, overlay, etc...

;)

Dont start me moan on OS4 development, I am good in it.

Problem is: MOANA (SAm460ex support is official) but board is kinky and cannot support cards older then Radeon 4000HD (I am not joking see Acube manual).

So at least 2D support would be great. And its about time with G5 Macs that have PCI-E too. Or nVIDIA support. R200 and R300 are early 2000 models, soon to be in museums.

About Hanses driver: I Hope I have paid 3D support too ...

On other news, AW.net hasnt still refunded my 20euros to Daddy, and no one responds on admins, no one care. Please dont give money to this board.

Eliyahu is terrible censor that knows just how to lock threads with no exponation.

Also, Hyperion support forum has found new limbo: put user on a APPROVAL mode and never approve his messages. Nice collection of end user rights breach and then they say I am madman that will lose in court.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline yssing

« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2014, 07:07:49 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;759061
@ yssing
Not everything needs an X1000, X5000, or a G5.
I agree 100%, not everything needs a lot of raw power. I don't think I do any thing that that needs a lot of power.
I code php most of the time, and when I do code other things, speed is not the issue.
And the SAM440 does do what I need, though some heavy webpages could use a bit more than the power the 733mhz cpu can deliver.

Offline yssing

« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2014, 07:11:54 PM »
Quote from: vox;759062
MOANA (SAm460ex support is official) but board is kinky and cannot support cards older then Radeon 4000HD (I am not joking see Acube manual)
So? its hard to find older cards anyway, besides the lowend radeon(5450/6450) are so cheap they are almost free.

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2014, 07:35:40 PM »
Quote from: vox;759062
Problem is: MOANA (SAm460ex support is official) but board is kinky and cannot support cards older then Radeon 4000HD (I am not joking see Acube manual).

3 - when using a PCI-Express graphic card, we suggest to use a Radeon HD2400 or newer models. Older models like X600, X800 are not fully compatible with the Sam460ex and may not work. Some X1550 cards are reported to work OK.

Sam460ex user manual
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)