Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 79 available systems for MorphOS 3.5  (Read 52296 times)

Description:

Offline ferrellsl

Re: 73 available systems for MorphOS 3.2
« Reply #89 from previous page: September 11, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »
Quote from: yssing;747621
While that might be true, it is currently the only option, I think, if you want to run MOS, AOS4.x is an other matter.

That is really so wrong, if you think this to honestly be true, then your information is outdated.

No, it isn't outdated.  I bought a PegII and a license for MOS back in 2008 and played with it for about 4 months and then bought OS4 for it as well.  I waited, and waited, and waited for a decent web browser or some useful productivity software to emerge but here we are 5 years later and it's the same story.  Sure, there have been some slight advances in OWB and bug riddled Timberwolf, but still nothing that anyone can use on a daily basis without lots of frustration.  I finally boxed up the entire lot and let it sit in my garage for a couple years and then finally sold it.  As for OS4 systems such as the X1000, it's the same story......"new" old hardware at an outrageous price.  An X1000 performs on the same level as systems from 2005-2007, so claiming that the situation is better for OS4 users in regard to new hardware is laughable.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2013, 07:05:45 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;747613
Wow, I can't believe so many people here are lauding the use of a backward OS on a whopping 73 systems that are so obsolete that it's laughable. Those systems are 8+ years out of date.  If you're looking for nostalgia, get a classic system or emulate using one of the UAE variants.  There's simply no reason to buy a system to run MorphOS or even OS4 for that matter.  None of the NG systems have a productivity suite or even a browser that is useful enough to read the news! You guys keep right on buying those MOS licenses and keep holding your breath while waiting for some useful applications.  Simply ridiculous.....

Not that I want to get into an argument with you (again), as it would be pointless to exchange messages with someone so poorly informed.
But I have a perfectly good web browser and a word processor running on both my MorphOS systems (as well as several games).
This satisfies 90% of my computing needs.
So I'm not waiting.

"Those systems are 8+ years out of date."
No kidding?
You do realize you're on a web site that focuses on systems over 25 years old, don't you?

And to all those who intensely dislike Apple, I've always harbored malice toward Steve Jobs.
The guy's work was always severely overrated.
But then,  I don't use Apple hardware to solely run OSX.

And OSX is certainly no worse than Windows.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:10:16 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline pVC

« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2013, 07:07:29 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;747613
Wow, I can't believe so many people here are lauding the use of a backward OS on a whopping 73 systems that are so obsolete that it's laughable. Those systems are 8+ years out of date.  If you're looking for nostalgia, get a classic system or emulate using one of the UAE variants.  There's simply no reason to buy a system to run MorphOS or even OS4 for that matter.  None of the NG systems have a productivity suite or even a browser that is useful enough to read the news! You guys keep right on buying those MOS licenses and keep holding your breath while waiting for some useful applications.  Simply ridiculous.....

Maybe you should try to use MorphOS some time? At least before talking like that. Browser and other programs are closer to mainstream than ever before. I can do all the things I need with MorphOS today, I'm not waiting for anything, I enjoy.

With classic system / emulation you can't get as modern software as on MorphOS while having Amiga compatibility. And you can get MorphOS machine cheaper than classic system.

Computer HW got "fast enough" 8+ years ago. Heck, they still sell slower systems than my MorphOS machines even today (cheapest laptops, netbooks, RasPIs and other that kind of devices). My PC is older than my MorphOS machines and it's still fine for me too. My PS3 is almost as old as my MorphOS machines and it's still fine for me, and for many others too. Get real.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »
Quote from: pVC;747628
...Get real.

Thank you very much. :hammer:
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2013, 07:15:11 PM »
Quote from: motrucker;747620
I never thought I would use an Apple in any way, shape, or form. Looks like I was wrong since the Mac G4 I was given is on this list. This may prove quite interesting......

Neat!  This wouldn't be something you might be interested in bringing to our meetup group next week, would it?  :D
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2013, 07:28:24 PM »
Quote from: pVC;747628
Maybe you should try to use MorphOS some time? At least before talking like that. Browser and other programs are closer to mainstream than ever before. I can do all the things I need with MorphOS today, I'm not waiting for anything, I enjoy.

With classic system / emulation you can't get as modern software as on MorphOS while having Amiga compatibility. And you can get MorphOS machine cheaper than classic system.

Computer HW got "fast enough" 8+ years ago. Heck, they still sell slower systems than my MorphOS machines even today (cheapest laptops, netbooks, RasPIs and other that kind of devices). My PC is older than my MorphOS machines and it's still fine for me too. My PS3 is almost as old as my MorphOS machines and it's still fine for me, and for many others too. Get real.

You obviously didn't read my earlier post.  I HAVE used MOS and OS4 on a PegII and my remarks still stand.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2013, 07:34:11 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;747627
Not that I want to get into an argument with you (again), as it would be pointless to exchange messages with someone so poorly informed.
But I have a perfectly good web browser and a word processor running on both my MorphOS systems (as well as several games).
This satisfies 90% of my computing needs.
So I'm not waiting.

"Those systems are 8+ years out of date."
No kidding?
You do realize you're on a web site that focuses on systems over 25 years old, don't you?

And to all those who intensely dislike Apple, I've always harbored malice toward Steve Jobs.
The guy's work was always severely overrated.
But then,  I don't use Apple hardware to solely run OSX.

And OSX is certainly no worse than Windows.

Well, for a web site that focuses on 25+ year old systems there's an awful lot of wasted talk about X1000s, SAMS, iBooks, etc....they're far younger than 25 years old....so your point is ridiculous.  So you can keep waiting (or not) and spending your cash on dead-end tech.  If that's how you'd prefer to spend your time and money and justify it as a "hobby", be my guest, but stop trying to convince me and others that there's a rational reason to do so.

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2013, 07:35:30 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;747614
Have you paid for it? If not then they are not obliged to do anything for you.  Patience is a virtue not many are blessed with.

The iBook yes. Because they said all are compatible. So I bought one.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2013, 07:36:52 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;747632
You obviously didn't read my earlier post.  I HAVE used MOS and OS4 on a PegII and my remarks still stand.

No they don't. By your own admission you haven't used MOS for five years.

Even if what you said was true, so what. We like fiddling with 25 year old hardware and modern clones of its operating system for our own pleasure.

Some like doing the same with old cars or train sets etc

If you don't enjoy the things this forum is designed to facilitate the discussion of then why do you visit and post? Serious question, I'm genuinely interested as to why.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2013, 07:38:19 PM »
Quote from: Everblue;747634
The iBook yes. Because they said all are compatible. So I bought one.

You haven't paid a penny to the MOS team so they are not obliged to provide you with anything.

Like I said, patience is a virtue.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline pVC

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;747624
No, it isn't outdated.  I bought a PegII and a license for MOS back in 2008 and played with it for about 4 months ...(clip)... let it sit in my garage for a couple years and then finally sold it.

Sounds like your information and user experience is really outdated.

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;747636
You haven't paid a penny to the MOS team so they are not obliged to provide you with anything.

Like I said, patience is a virtue.

I didn't buy an iBook hoping that some day it will be compatible. I bought an iBook because THEY said it is compatible. It has nothing to do with virtue, it is about being responsible.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2013, 07:46:07 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;747635
No they don't. By your own admission you haven't used MOS for five years.

Even if what you said was true, so what. We like fiddling with 25 year old hardware and modern clones of its operating system for our own pleasure.

Some like doing the same with old cars or train sets etc

If you don't enjoy the things this forum is designed to facilitate the discussion of then why do you visit and post? Serious question, I'm genuinely interested as to why.

5 years in Amiga land is actually just 2 weeks in real time......joke implied!  LOL!

Don't get me wrong, I DO enjoy this forum.  I'm just extremely frustrated at the lack of progress in the area of useful software and in the cost of new NG hardware.  An earlier post mentioned the Raspberry PI....I get his point, low-end tech at a very low cost, but he missed the other points of the PI.  You can run several different OSs that have a wealth of useful and powerful applications.  I'm just wondering why we can't have that from NG Amiga hardware.  Right now, I get my NG fix by using AROS and hope that it will continue.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »
Quote from: pVC;747637
Sounds like your information and user experience is really outdated.

I BOUGHT my PegII in 2008.  I held onto it until October of 2011 before I finally sold it.  I would drag it out from time to see but it became painfully obvious that useful software wasn't coming anytime soon.  So my experience isn't as outdated as you imply.....less than 2 years.

Well, you might be willing to wait several years for a useful productivity suite for MOS, but most people who work for a living can't wait that long.  Yes, it's been 5 years and I'm still waiting.  It would be nice if there was a spreadsheet program for MOS or OS4 or something for presentations, but I'm certain it will be another 5 years and you guys will still be waiting.  How long would you suggest MOS and OS4 users continue to wait?  5 years, 10 years, etc...
A decent DVD/BD player would also be nice or USB support that isn't broken......USB has been a standard for well over 10 years and I never could get it to work properly under OS4 (still broken).  It would constantly corrupt whatever storage device I used.....oh, and don't get me started on printing.....printer support under MOS or OS4 is abysmal....and that hasn't changed either in 5 years...oh, and then there's Flash, java, etc....I could go on, but I won't.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:32:20 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline pVC

« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2013, 07:54:17 PM »
Quote from: Everblue;747638
I didn't buy an iBook hoping that some day it will be compatible. I bought an iBook because THEY said it is compatible. It has nothing to do with virtue, it is about being responsible.

It is unfortunate situation and in no way intented, but they said it'll be fixed reasonably quickly with the upcoming bug fix release. They know their responsibilities and do the best...

Offline nicholas

« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »
Quote from: Everblue;747638

You bought a machine for peanuts and have been given a free demo to test if your hardware is compatible. You discover it isn't, you report it, the team acknowledge the bug with your specific hardware and promise to fix it and release a bug fixed version when it's done.

I fail to see the drama here.