Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPhone v. BlackBerry  (Read 6505 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show all replies
Re: iPhone v. BlackBerry
« on: August 06, 2009, 02:36:06 AM »
I've tried to like WIndows Mobile, really I have, I've loaded apps, I've tried Today enhancers Manila, Pointui, Wisbar, SBP Mobile shell, Touch shell, but they're all a bit crap because Windows Mobile is still beneath it all.  The apps are sub par, they crash the phone, I constantly run out of internal memory in spite of having 10 GB free on the SD card.  And it's slow.  

Quote from: tone007;518187
If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with iPhone because Blackberry is crap.

Luckily, though, there are other choices, and I've chosen the HTC P4600 (AT&T Fuze in the US.)  640x480 resolution on a 3" screen is pretty incredible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 02:45:17 AM »
I'm on Vodaphone right now with my iPhone but looking to upgrade a 3GS and just comparing Three, Telstra and Optus with what Vodaphone gives.  It's a hard choice...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 02:46:47 AM »
I've tried to like WIndows Mobile, really I have, I've loaded apps, I've tried Today enhancers Manila, Pointui, Wisbar, SBP Mobile shell, Touch shell, but they're all a bit crap because Windows Mobile is still beneath it all.  The apps are sub par, they crash the phone, I constantly run out of internal memory in spite of having 10 GB free on the SD card.  And it's slow.  

Quote from: tone007;518187
If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with iPhone because Blackberry is crap.

Luckily, though, there are other choices, and I've chosen the HTC P4600 (AT&T Fuze in the US.)  640x480 resolution on a 3" screen is pretty incredible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 02:43:02 PM »
Good Lord this is complicated.  I'm about 97.6374% convinced that I'll go with Virgin $100 a month gets me 5 GB of data + $20 for the phone (32 GB 3GS).  Anyone have experience with Virgin Australia's coverage?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 03:48:57 PM »
Ok, I'm going with Virgin, I'll be getting a shiny new white 32GB 3GS as soon as the boat carrying the precious cargo of live iPhones arrives from China!  5 GBs should be enough, but at two bucks a meg(!) overage, I gotta find an app that cuts all internet when the magic number of 5 Gb is reached!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:21:22 PM »
You need an MS Windows computer to develop for Windows Mobile, that and a lot of panadol.  Horrible things they are.  

It OS X on the iPhone, simplified, but still OS X.  THe file structure is slightly different, but there are symbolic links where you'd expect to find the folders.  I forget where Applications was, but there was a link in root, so it didn't matter.

Quote from: kickstart;518754
Need a x86 mac (PC) to develop for iphone? windows or liux is not allowed? apple and his things, reality of apple is like that episode of the simpsons.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 11:15:28 PM »
PPC turned out to be a mistake.  Sitting in 2009 it's easy to make a judgement and say "only an idiot would choose PPC architecture," but Apple made the decision in March 1994 and it looked like a real alternative back then, it wasn't until last last century/early this century that PPC became a real dead end.  

But. How do you admit that it was a mistake and hold onto your declining market share?  Introduce a new OS designed for intel, but release it on PPC hardware and then when the OS is complete, get rid of the old architecture!

Of course it was made easier by a little mp3 player with a cute name.  Mac sales are booming, 1 in 10 personal computers sold in the US is a Mac.  There are already more intel based Macs than either PPC or Motorola based ones.  Apple survives on pushing the technology beyond it's limits and in doing so it also pushes old equipment into the past.

Sadly this will be true of the iPhone as well, the 3GS that's on the boat from China will no longer be supported in probably, oh, 5 years. At some point the new iPhone/Pod OS X will no longer be compatible with it.  But I will have had my use, and, I'm honing my Obj C skills, one good app and my retirement home in the north coast of NSW goes from being a km from the beach to being on the beach!

Quote from: kickstart;518775
Yes, they forget all ppc users using osx too but if m$ make it is bad, if apple make it is "different", i dont understand its the same, no?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 02:39:19 PM »
Got my 3GS 32 GB phone, seems they had some in stock in one of their stores in Sydney. Compared to the old 2G phones this thing is a work of art.  The GPS could use an external antenna, but with the tower assist it seems to get my general location correct.  The integration between hardware and software is just magnificent. Things just work.  

I jailbroke it of course, inspite of Apple's 27/7/09 email that says we risk bringing on the apocalypse if we do.  Hmmm, I hear horses, sounds like four of them....  Anyway, the view into the system through SSH or Fugu is instructive, they've modified OS X a bit and some things just aren't there, sudo, for example.  It appears that the iPhone is running everything as root, which might explain why they locked it in the first place.

One thing I don't like is when I loaded some free apps on it and then tried to sync those apps to another computer it deleted them.  And the first computer I sync'ed it to had American dates set up and it changed the whole system to American, backwards dates, spaces in the wrong place in phone numbers, etc.  And there doesn't appear to be a full system preferences in the phone.  Changing the computer to Oz settings and resync'ing fixed it.

After the horrors of Windows Mobile (I had a 16 GB sim card in an HTC Kaiser) and it's constant running out of system memory (no one needs more that 128 Meg of system ram), this phone is a joy to use.  

The iPhone does monitor data so I just need to reset the counter every month, but I doubt I'll use 5 GB.  The other thing I notice is that when the phone drops into 2G the browser is horribly slow, it's almost like being on dialup!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 11:03:39 PM »
Multitasking?  There's an app for that!

http://code.google.com/p/iphone-backgrounder/wiki/Documentation

Quote from: bloodline;518850
I warn you that push support doesn't work properly when the phone is jailbroken... And push support is vital since background tasks aren't allowed :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]