Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aos 3 -> aos 4  (Read 25622 times)

Description:

Offline HotRodTopic starter

• Show only replies by HotRod
Aos 3 -> aos 4
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:03:38 PM »
Hello!

I'd like to know why people using AOS 3 doesn't jump on the AOS 4 train? What is holding you back exactly? I've been an a4k user myself and wasn't sure when I bought my amigaone but I haven't regret it ever and it really is amiga in every single way but upgraded.

Now I'm sure that some MOS users will go crazy here since I didn't mention MOS but I'm wondering why people are stuck with the classics. Nothing wrong with that except that they are missing out on so many great things.

This is offcourse in my opinion but I feal that taking a step forward wouldn't hurt? Also you can keep your classics while moving forward!

I feal really at home with aos 4, just like using aos 3 but better. I've read that 4.0 classic wasn't good but for my amigaone it runs really well actually and from what I've read it does on the SAM boards too. Why not give it a try, it won't hurt you :-P

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
Re: Aos 3 -> aos 4
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
Some people want the real Amiga so they can run real Amiga software on real Amiga hardware. OS4 doesn't bring any of that to the table.

Still other reasons include not wanting to associate with developers who want the user community to die in a fire (Rigo for example). That sort of thing.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:21:25 PM »
Quote from: HotRod;641870
Hello!

I'd like to know why people using AOS 3 doesn't jump on the AOS 4 train? What is holding you back exactly?

Why not give it a try, it won't hurt you :-P

It's AOS4 that's holding me back from using AOS4... ;)

Reason being after having bought OS4.0 to run on my BlizzardPPC 240Mhz it was slower than a dead donkey with arthritis and three of it's legs missing... :(

Believe me it does hurt... especially your wallet... just remember you need a PPC board and GFX card for OS4.X to be of any use and the vast majority of Amiga users don't own these things... ;)

Offline gazgod

• Show only replies by gazgod
    • http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »
Been there, done that, thought it was a very poor product.

I bought OS4.0 classic that i couldn't get to run without major hardware rejigging in my 4000, So I bought a Sam and in my opinion it was a major step back compared to the a fully tweaked 3.9 setup. I alredy had a Peg2 running Morphos 2 and was using AROS so I suppose I had certain expectations for a next gen Amiga that OS4 just didn't deliver.

Anyway I sold the sam and OS4 classic off and unlike the classics i've sold, I never regretted it for a moment.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 01:35:19 PM »
I am quite happy with my classic systems.  They run all the old software natively.  If I wanted to run them emulated I'd just use UAE rather than AOS 4.  I've got a Mac Mini running MOS, which is nice.  I run AROS through VirtualBox, but in the end it's only the classic systems that feel Amiga to me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 01:39:36 PM »
Quote from: Franko;641875
It's AOS4 that's holding me back from using AOS4... ;)

Reason being after having bought OS4.0 to run on my BlizzardPPC 240Mhz it was slower than a dead donkey with arthritis and three of it's legs missing... :(

Believe me it does hurt... especially your wallet... just remember you need a PPC board and GFX card for OS4.X to be of any use and the vast majority of Amiga users don't own these things... ;)

I haven't used OS 4.0 Classic so I wouldn't know but from what I've read lots of people was dissapointed and that's a shame, really. Hmm... What about giving it another try then? Like I said I'm happy with it on my amigaone and people seems to be enjoying it on their SAMs.

Offline Forcie

• Show only replies by Forcie
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 01:40:57 PM »
Well, I have kind of "jumped on the train", since I do own a Micro-A1 with OS4.1. But I hardly ever use it, since the platform doesn't really excite me that much. It is a generic PPC box with none of the uniqueness and hardware-intimate hacking joy that my classics offers me. OS4 is an admirable effort, but the software I use is 68k-based, so I might as well run it on my classics instead of emulating it on a foreign architecture-based system.

Offline cha05e90

• Show only replies by cha05e90
    • http://www.ruthe.info
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Quote from: gazgod;641877
So I bought a Sam and in my opinion it was a major step back compared to the a fully tweaked 3.9 setup.
Anyway I sold the sam and OS4 classic off and unlike the classics i've sold, I never regretted it for a moment.

After years of productivity and fun with my OS3.9 setups my purchase of a SAM with OS4.1 was a huge step forward, which I never regretted.
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 01:43:01 PM »
I will likely never purchase aos4 or an aos4 machine.

The cost is ridiculous for 10+ year old hardware specs.

AROS is worlds ahead in my opinion...

Steven

Offline cha05e90

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »
Quote from: persia;641882
They run all the old software natively.  If I wanted to run them emulated I'd just use UAE rather than AOS 4.  I've got a Mac Mini running MOS, which is nice.

Ha? And of course you don't use MorphOS to "run them emulated", but use UAE instead? :-)

Offline cha05e90

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 01:46:09 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;641887

No it isn't - in my opinion. But it might be some day, if developement goes on with the recent pace...

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 01:48:12 PM »
Quote from: persia;641882
I am quite happy with my classic systems.  They run all the old software natively.  If I wanted to run them emulated I'd just use UAE rather than AOS 4.  I've got a Mac Mini running MOS, which is nice.  I run AROS through VirtualBox, but in the end it's only the classic systems that feel Amiga to me.

I haven't used MOS so I wouldn't know. AROS on the other hand doesn't feal very Amiga to me at all. To me AOS 4 works just like AOS 3.9 but with lots of improvements and old software runs really fast now compared to my a4k with a CSPPC.

I feal that I'm sounding like some salesman which I'm not but I'd really like for those who's had a bad experience to give it another go. I DO think that AOS 4 should work just as well as AOS 3.9 with the hardware though but if some old hardware doesn't work it shouldn't be the end of the world, it might be impossible to write drivers because of lack of documentation.

Once again, I'm happy with my amigaone and aos 4, it didn't feel too bad going from aos 3.9 to 4.0 even though the first versions had lots of issues. Now it works pretty well though and feals just like my a4k did with PCI expansion, voodoo 4 graphicscard, fastata III and what not but better in every way. Sure SOME software doesn't work natively but you might be supriced by how much does and it's way faster too. It isn't like runing UAE AT ALL. You run old programs in MOS in the same way you do in AOS 4, there's no difference, With AROS there is.

If you're used to AOS and been using it up to 3.9 then 4.x feals like a natural step forward. At least it did to me...

Offline nikodr

• Show only replies by nikodr
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 01:48:20 PM »
You are forgetting something ,an amiga one is much more powerful than a cyberstorm ppc amiga running classic os 4.x.imagine that your amigaone was only 233 MHz and could only utilize -until recently- only 256 ram .it would hardly be a nice setup let alone running CPU and ram hungry applications.From what I understand the latest 4.1 on classics is much faster in eye candy stuff and GfX appearing than the previous but you have to have the most expensive amiga peripherals to have a machine that is only capable of achieving part of amiga one performance.THat's the reason most people prefer 68k based os and amiga os 3.9 at least amiga os was based on motorola and with some datatypes or warp os or phase 5 solution you.can have something good. I think amiga os 4.1.2 should have appeared back in 1997 things would be better.

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 01:49:12 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;641887
I will likely never purchase aos4 or an aos4 machine.

The cost is ridiculous for 10+ year old hardware specs.

Steven

The hardware is ahead, the OS is behind and far behind too.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »
Quote from: nikodr;641892
You are forgetting something ,an amiga one is much more powerful than a cyberstorm ppc amiga running classic os 4.x.imagine that your amigaone was only 233 MHz and could only utilize -until recently- only 256 ram .it would hardly be a nice setup let alone running CPU and ram hungry applications.From what I understand the latest 4.1 on classics is much faster in eye candy stuff and GfX appearing than the previous but you have to have the most expensive amiga peripherals to have a machine that is only capable of achieving part of amiga one performance.THat's the reason most people prefer 68k based os and amiga os 3.9 at least amiga os was based on motorola and with some datatypes or warp os or phase 5 solution you.can have something good. I think amiga os 4.1.2 should have appeared back in 1997 things would be better.

I can understand that but on the other hand it might be time to buy something new. Those machines are from -92-94 (and later ones from Escom). My a4k are from -93. The question is if you would like 4 colour icons for the rest of your life and 8 colour wallpapers? These things require more RAM. When I first got a graphicscard for my a4k I had 8MB RAM which was overkill but as soon as I installed the gfxcard and cybergraphis I took allmost all of that away! I didn't understand why back then and I still don't since the graphicscard got its own RAM but hey... that was a price I had to pay if I didn't want to be stuck with AGA for the rest of my life.

I don't know how much you can strip down AOS 4 to make it use as little RAM as possible but it's made to be run in high resolutions with nice icons and wallpapers. You can still drop the theme and make it look like AOS 3.x, remove the wallpaper, replace the icons and don't use a 32-bit mousepointer but isn't the thing about moving forward?